Age Group Rank = 3/36
Event warmup:

Short swim.
Swim
  • 09m 13s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim - didn't push too hard, especially on the first section which was against the current. I stayed with the main group of the wave, and we caught several people from the previous wave before the first buoy. I felt bad for hitting the one person in the back of their head, although they did stop and lift their head suddenly. No problems with navigation today.
What would you do differently?:

Could have pushed a bit harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Fairly long run from the beach through the woods to the transition area. Actual transition was smooth and fast. I went sockless so no worries about cleaning/drying my feet.
Bike
  • 46m 29s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good ride - the wind was pretty rough at times, especially in the last four miles when it was a direct headwind. There was also a section of unpaved road during mile three that slowed things down. Then the big hill hit - I stood and cranked the best I could, and passed a ton of people (even though I was only managing 7-8 mph at some points). Disheartening to see the average speed on my bike computer drop from 21 down to 18 in the span of half a mile. I spent the rest of the ride trying to bring the average back, although that headwind did not help at the end.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Probably one of my fastest transitions ever - so fast I almost forgot to take my helmet off (I turned to start running away from my spot and then felt it still on). The sockless thing works great - no problems at all running without them, so I think I'll be going sockless at my olympic race next week.
Run
  • 19m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

New 5k PR! Started picking people off steadily - I passed about 10 people and never was passed myself.

What I'm most proud of about this run was the last mile. I saw a guy up ahead who looked the part of the major stud triathlete - sponsored jersey and all - and I started reeling him in. He heard me coming and started pushing it, but I passed him with about half a mile to go. I then started to have negative thoughts of "all right, nice try Rob, but this guy is better than you and will probably catch you" to which I told myself "No freaking way" and kept pushing as hard as I could to the finish, beating him by about ten seconds. I had noticed that he was in my age group, but what I didn't know til later was that my decision to pass him and my effort to stay ahead of him made the difference between 3rd and 4th place.
Post race
Event comments:

Good race - it did seem to take a long time to get results up, but that's more of an issue with the timing company than with the race director.

So I met my goal for this year of placing in my age group, and early in the season too. I really didn't think it would happen at this race, but it did. I never thought getting some silly little bronze medal could make me so happy - I'm still laughing and smiling about it as I write this. I beat last year's time by over two minutes, and was faster in every aspect of the race, so I have to be pretty happy about that too.

Last updated: 2007-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:13 | 600 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/36
Overall: 50/299
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Counterclockwise triangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:29 | 16 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/36
Overall: 22/299
Wind: Strong
Course: Mostly rollers, but with one killer hill at the four mile point.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:05 | 03.1 miles | 06m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/36
Overall: 17/299
Course: Mostly off road, but the trails were mostly flat and in good shape.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-23 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: Wildbear Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-23 6:27 PM
in reply to: #857105

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Wildbear Sprint Triathlon

Rob,  all your times are smokin' man!!  A  35second T-2?!! Are you f-ing kidding me?  6:10pace on the run?!! Amazing!!  Congrats on the hardware!! 

2007-06-23 6:44 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Awesome Race Rob!!!

You paced well and finished so strong to pass that guy and hold him off to place 3rd...tough competitor in you did great.

Look at those paces all super and OA amazing time/placement in bike/run which set you up to finish strong with those stud triathletes whose club you are part of now

12th OA and 3rd in a very competitive AG....impressive! 

2007-06-24 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Great job!  CONGRATS ON THE 3rd!!!

That T2 was like non-existant.  Did you just run in, throw the bike on the ground and run out?  Super run speed, too. 

Hey, tell your swim coach that you don't need to do the strokes right and still can clock 1:32/100 yard!

2007-06-25 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

Bringing home hardware is so fun!!

Nice job. 12th overall is very impressive. There were a lot of fast people there. Smoking run as well.

2007-06-25 3:18 PM

Extreme Veteran

Hey Rob, Great race!!! I was there too!! (Angela Bancroft)  I had a fun fun day and actually surprised myself with a win! I'm completely stunned about it really.

Hey, do you think the run was a true 3.1? My time was much faster than I would have thought.  I hope it was!!

Great job!

Angela

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildbear Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed