City of Pflugerville, Jack and Adams Bicycles
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 45s
Overall Rank = 87/311
Age Group = Men 40-45
Age Group Rank = 7/27
Pre-race routine:

The same routine I do for every race. Up early, coffee, bananna and oatmeal at least 2 hours before race time. Then it was off to the course arriving at the time transition opens to select an open racking spot near the bike out. That leaves plenty of time to set-up, get my chip and chat with friends.
Event warmup:

Ran on the damn for about 10 minutes and then stretched. Then got to the water early and did a 300 meter warm-up.
Swim
  • 09m 53s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

My family showed up just before we entered the water and they were wearing their Thing 2, Thing 3 and Thing 4 shirts from Dr. Suess. I wish I had brought my Thing 1 shirt for the run! Anyway, I positioned myself for the swim at the front and to the left. I like to get off quick and avoid the mosh pit. At the start, I was quick to see the best swimmer and jumped on his feet by the first 100m. The wave before us had white swim caps on and the buoys were marked with white jugs and yellow balls so sighting was difficult. Everything in the water looked like a buoy and I found myself sighting off heads a couple of times. By the turn (250 meters?) I lost the #1 swimmer and caught sight of another AGer on my right. We hit a group in the wave ahead of us and I went to the left and he went to the right. I thought I choose the wrong direction at first but in hind sight, I came out ahead. Sighting coming to the finish was much better as I swim in this lake every weekend.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I definately need more time in the pool to build strength and endurance in my arms. I was tired coming out of the water. I was pleased on my placing but have to belief that the course was long based on the times. I typically swim 1:30 to 1:40 per 100 in races and finish similar in AG and overall.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Long run on crushed gravel to transition but I felt ok.

Nothing, I was in the right spot in transition and out of T1 with ease. Getting into my shoes was another story. I slipped one foot in with no issues but my left foot missed the inside of the shoe and caught the strap. I had to redo and then put the strap back into the buckle to close.
Bike
  • 41m 26s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a good effort on the bike and hit my goal of 19 mph average on the bike. My only problem was my rear derailler kept slipping and I was changing gears with no result or trying to hammer a section when gears changed with no warning. I must have changed gears a billion times. I guess I am not quite there as a mechanic yet:) I think the loop is more than 13 miles based on the number of times we have riden this route and race day computer reading. Therefore, time average would be better. Overall, not a problem since it's the same for everyone.

Take my bike to a real mechanic.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I couldn't find the bike dismount line and came into T2 too slow. I had to come to a complete stop to dismount because I couldn't see the line.

Find the dismount line before the race starts and practice standing on top of shoes as I come into T2 for a speed transition.
Run
  • 29m 13s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The loop is shorter than 3 miles but I don't mind since my running stinks. I started the run in 3rd place in my AG and then just watched as 4 people passed me on the run. I felt ok but just can't go any faster.

Lose 20lbs and learn how to run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to everyone as they finished. I drank 2 bottles of water and had my girls splash cold water on me to keep me cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Duh, running?

Event comments:

I was very impressed with the first Lake Pflugerville Tri. Glen and crew did a great job getting this annual race started with very little noticable issues. It started on time, was well marked, and had plenty of supplies on the course with great volunteers. I would suggest for future years to have better awards, something more than water at the finish and music. Very picky, I know, but there is more competition in Austin with local races and the cost of Triathlon is increasing so I feel I have a right to be picky for $100. This is a definate race to do if you are not doing BSLT or IMCDA or just want a short sprint in the Austin area. I would also suggest this course for people new to the sport. The course is easier than the women's Dankin course and easier than the Rookie Tri.

Last updated: 2007-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:53 | 547 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/27
Overall: 27/311
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot
Course: Triangular clockwise course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:26 | 13.2 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 45/311
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 13+ mile loop with some slow rollers and false flats. This is a deceptively hard course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:13 | 03 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/27
Overall: 218/311
Performance: Average
Course: 1 loop around Lake Pflugerville on crushed gravel and NO SHADE.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

2007-06-26 9:38 AM
in reply to: #858546

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
Nice job out there, i'm doing this one next year.
2007-06-26 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
We haven't met before but I think you ran by me at the very end and said good job. Our times were a few seconds apart. Congrats on a great race!
2007-06-28 1:27 PM

New user

Nice job Couchman..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pflugerville Triathlon Rss Feed