General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best time of year to buy a bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-25 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: best time of year to buy a bike

Eventually... inevitably... I'll be upgrading from my Trek1000.

I just saw bikesportmichigan had some pretty impressive "yellow jersey" sales prices on some bikes.  $3000 bikes were going for almost 2K, etc.

I'm planning to do this right if I do it... will probably travel to a place that has a lot of bikes in stock and really knows how to fit me before and after I choose a frame.  BSM suggested there are about 10 or so shops in the country that really do that (wow!).

I'm in no desperate hurry to replace my bike... it will suit me fine for the races I have this year... even my HIM which is very hilly and supposedly many people elect to ride it on road bikes even if they have a tri bike.  I'm not about to break a world record anyway, and it would earn points with the wife if I really stuck with this sport for a while BEFORE I drop a few G's on a bike.  Then again, I don't want to miss a steal on a bike while I wait until I feel like I need it.

Anyway - I assume there are "model year closeouts" like in the auto industry... where the 08 models come out and the 07's go on sale?  Or is it more like in the boating industry, where almost all of their sales take place in the spring in anticipation of the upcoming boating season... and they are forced to drop prices to stay competitive?

I don't want to sacrifice selection by waiting until all the frames are picked over, but if a bit of patience will save me a thousand dollars (or let me get a $1000 better bike for the same price point) I'm definitely willing to do that.

Your thoughts?

Edited by JoshKaptur 2007-06-25 10:17 AM

2007-06-25 10:35 AM
in reply to: #858619

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: best time of year to buy a bike

December through February is the best time.  Yes, it's like cars.  The new models come out in the early Fall.  This means that by winter whatever inventory they have the manufacturers want to clear out, and will often discount them 20 - 30% off of wholesale cost.  For example, when I ordered my Specialized Transition it was on a reduced price, but because of delays it didn't get shipped for almost a month .... when it did, it had dropped an additional 10% or so.  So I certainly wasn't complaining!

If you have a specific model in mind, then you can request that the shop call the manufacturer and check the inventory and see what they have in stock on closeout in your size.  But if the shop has your size in stock, chances are you will not get the closeout price because they purchased the bike at regular price and it is just sitting there as dead inventory.  At this point it is at the shop's discretion as to how much they discount it.  In other words, don't expect a huge deal unless the bike has been sitting for quite a while.  But you can always negotiate if you know they have been sitting on it in their inventory.

2007-06-25 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
I asked my LBS this question and the guy told me that the 08's would be coming out in the Fall. His suggestion was to come back in August/September because that's when the discounts would start and yet the selection would be best.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, my LBS is probably one of those 10 nationwide. They consistently make the top 10 list of the best bike shops in the country. Their inventory on site is about 6000 bikes.

Edited by TexOma 2007-06-25 11:43 AM
2007-06-25 11:47 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
I purchased my two latest bikes in October at decent discounts off of MSRP, seems like the new models come out in time for Christmas shopping and old inventory has to go around that time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best time of year to buy a bike Rss Feed