General Discussion Race Reports! » T3 Telos Utah Valley Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

T3 Telos Utah Valley Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benjamin, Utah
United States
Telos
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 45s
Overall Rank = 28/104
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

Roll out of bed about 5:00 am, get my gear together, eat some quick bites and head out the door. I had about an hour drive to get to the race, so I needed to leave fairly early. Arrived at the marina, parked the car, got checked in and brought my stuff over to transition.
Event warmup:

Light running back and forth from the transition area to the bathroom. We also took a quick dip in the water before the swim. Nothing too fancy :)
Swim
  • 16m 52s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went into this swim with no intentions of pushing too hard, esp. since my swim training has been pretty weak. I always struggle a bit to fight through the crowd at the beginning of the race, and this one was the same. Also, to make matters worse, most of the racers missed a marker - the whole pack was headed in the wrong direction; I happened to notice and make the correction, but that caused me to fall behind a bit. Didn't want to risk disqualification though. It thinned up a bit toward the end of the way out, and finally on the way back I was able to find a rhythm and stick with it.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to tolerate the hitting and kicking at the start a little better so I didn't have to come up so often. Also, I need to get the sighting figured out for the same reason... and maintain a steady swim pace and routine throughout the entire swim. However, I'm still happy with my results all things considered.
Transition 1
  • 06m 14s
Comments:

Okay, so you're probably wondering why I have a six minute transition time... well, I had a little problem... I got to transition after the swim, only to realize I had left my bike helmet in the car. DANGIT!! I panicked for a bit, running in circles contemplating my next move. I even had some evil thoughts cross my mind as I stared at all of the other participant's helmets ;). I finally decided I would exit the transition area avoiding the timing loop, dash to the car and get my helmet. About half-way there, I realized I'd forgotten my car keys... CRAP! Ran back, found them, and bolted back out toward my car (still in bare feet on gravel-covered asphalt). Got to the car, grabbed the helmet and ran back. Made it back into the transition area, quickly got my stuff together and headed out on the bike. Whew, race saved! At least I could finish the race!! In the process of my lengthy delay, a fellow triathlete (Jason Dewey) I'd met up with had passed me up, despite my swim time that was nearly 3 min. faster than his. I was determined to catch back up and make the best of my race.

REMEMBER TO PUT MY HELMET IN THE TRANSITION AREA!! Duh! What makes it worse is I even thought about it 10 min before the race started, but reassured myself that the helmet was probably there. Nope. It cost me about 12 positions overall, and an AG placement. That'll teach me :)
Bike
  • 37m 1s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I was feeling good on the bike, (esp. after my 6+ minute transition), so I decided I'd put forth a good effort to catch up to Jason. I could see him cruising about two tenths of a mile ahead, and I just stepped on it to catch up. I managed to catch up and even gain on him by quite a bit- I knew I had to since I was fairly certain he was going to cream me on the run. No one passed me on the bike. That was cool.

I think I could have pushed just a hare harder. This ride was a bit too comfortable- I think if I really wanted to I could have averaged near 21 mph on this course. Part of me was feeling a little bit like the race didn't matter after my little transition mishap, so I didn't push myself as hard as I may have otherwise. Plus I'm always nervous about tiring myself too much for the run, but I'm lousy on the run no matter what, so might as well try to make up for it on the bike. I also need to work on that T1 bike mount stuff. That probably cost me some precious time at the beginning of the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

I'm still not very good with the bike mount/dismount stuff, so these are about 20 seconds longer than they should be. I still feel like this was a decent transition though.

Not a whole lot. Just tackle the bike dismount better.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Run was sloppy slow. I started out okay, but then I started to wimp out and walk. When I was running, I was holding 7:30-7:50/mi, and it would have been a great race. I could have toughed through it but I just wuss out on these things. I let Jason pass me and finished right behind him.

Get over it. I should be able to run and hold at least 8:30/mi on a 5k run no problem, even after a swim and bike. I'm physically capable of it, but my mental state gets in the way. Just need to tough it out- let the stomach pains and cramps just be part of the fun!
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with Jason and Victoria post-race and chatted about the race. Wandered around and talked to the race directors about the race. Ate some bananas and oranges, and drank lots of water...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My wimpy head.

Event comments:

I still had a blast despite some of my mistakes and slowness. This race is really fun, and I really liked the bike course. I was happy overall with the race considering how weak my training has been. It gives me the confidence that I could do really well if I got more serious-- so that's awesome!

Last updated: 2007-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:52 | 875 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 22/104
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: Out and back through the marina channel to a buoy at 375m out. Swim to the right of several channel markers.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:14
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:01 | 12.4 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 17/104
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Fairly smooth surface road with some mild rolling hills. Had to ride over some cattle guards too. This bike course was a blast!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 32/104
Performance: Below average
Course: Portion of the trail is dirt/xterra-style, making it a little tough at the beginning- then the course continues along the same path as the bike, making for a fairly flat running course, with a downhill finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: T3 Telos Utah Valley Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-06-26 1:10 AM
in reply to: #858704

User image

T1
Subject: RE: T3 Telos Utah Valley Triathlon - Sprint Distance
You did great--you should be happy with how you did! Don't let the run get you down and use it for inspiration for next time! If you forget your helmet again, I will make you wear it in the swim!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » T3 Telos Utah Valley Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed