General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hurricane Jeane & N.C. coastal triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-23 2:30 PM

Subject: Hurricane Jeane & N.C. coastal triathlon
I am competing in the Emerald Isle Sprint Tri (North Carolina) this Saturday morning, and was wondering if anyone had any info on how the event is handled if there are severe weather conditions like it looks like we'll have for the swim. Hurricane Jeane should be sitting off our coast on Saturday, close enough to really have an impact.
I contacted the race coordinator by email, but no reply yet.
The Emerald Isle weather stations are already saying that Jeane is causing large waves and strong rip currents. I'm ready to compete and would hate for it to be cancelled, but also don't want to be in any real danger.
Any experience with this situation?

2004-09-23 2:54 PM
in reply to: #65696

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
Subject: RE: Hurricane Jeane & N.C. coastal triathlon
Yeah...my first tri was on Sunday here in Virginia Beach. Unfortunatly, Ivan had moved out to sea almost right over us... the waves were big and the ground was wet and the winds were HORRIFIC!! They cancelled the swim and made it a 5k run, 20k bike, and a 100m dash to the finish.
Good luck w/ your race this weekend! I hope you get to do the swim!!
2004-09-23 7:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Is this a Set-Up Inc. event? Bill Scott runs a first rate event and generally send out an email 1-2 days before an event if there is threatening weather.

Fred
2004-09-23 10:39 PM
in reply to: #65825

User image

Regular
Nope not a set-upinc event - they're doing the Pinehurst International Distance on Sunday. This is a Young & Associates race - a good group - they did the Goldsboro tri I participated in earlier this year. www.runnc.com is their site. Race details and contact info is there....but to be thorough....

A quick check on the active.com site gives me this: Event Contact Phone: 252-726-3739. I'd call them tomorrow to verify.

Also a quick google on "emerald isle triathlon nc" directs me to the NCRC Race calendar - Emerald Isle – Emerald Isle Triathlon – 8am, 750 meter swim, 12-mile bike ride, 5K run. Info: Sam O’Berry – (252) 726-3739 or [email protected]

Hope that this helps.

JS
2004-09-25 7:23 PM

, Alabama

So did they have your event?  Let us know.  We've had lots of postponements in the last month due to one hurricane or another.  We may end up having two every weekend 'til the end of season just to make them all up, the way things are going!

Sharon

2004-09-26 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Friend of mine just got back from Outer Banks area. He's a huge kayak buff and spent a lot of time riding in waves. He mentioned that the currents were really wild this past week with the approach of Jeanne. It'll be interesting to see if this tri goes off. Maybe swim will be in the inlet side which should make life much easier if not as directly exposed to the ocean currents.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hurricane Jeane & N.C. coastal triathlon Rss Feed