General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Warrior Triathlon -- Presented by Skyland Su Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Black Warrior Triathlon -- Presented by Skyland Su - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coker (Tuscaloosa / Northport Area), Alabama
United States
Tuscaloosa Triathletes
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 45s
Overall Rank = 23?/118
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

Slept horribly the night before. Not anxious, I just don't sleep well when my wife is out of town. Finally just gave up and got out of bed at 5:00. Just usual morning ritual. Had everything packed up, just had to put my bike in my car and drive to the race site.

Event warmup:

Not a lot of warmup. Got to the race in time to get an end spot on a rack and right on the main lane. Milled around a little, had a gel 20 minutes before the start. Walked over to the swim start and probably swam about 100 yards.
Swim
  • 13m 1s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well it was the swim. I did OK for me. There weren't any real packs, everything got spread out in a long line pretty early. I probably could have gone a little harder but I was pretty relaxed for most of the swim. Surged a few times to get away from a few people that were swerving all over the place. They shortened the swim this year to 600 yards, but I still think it was long.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to swim more. I swim like a rock. My navigation was a lot better this race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I was a little slow here. Fumbled with my helmet and glasses but otherwise OK.

Practice. I really haven't done any T practice in a long time.
Bike
  • 49m 13s
  • 17 miles
  • 20.72 mile/hr
Comments:

For some reason I just felt like I didn't have anything on the top end. Up to about 22-23 I was fine but anything faster than that and my legs just didn't want to cooperate. Same thing on the hills, any time I tried to push or surge it felt like I was on the edge of blowing up.
Went back and forth with a lady for about the 1st 5 miles until she finally went ahead for good. She would pull ahead near the top of hills and I would come back near the bottom. At 135 lbs I didn't have much weight advantage, just chalked it up to riding over the top and staying aero. She was in good shape and went on to win the womens overall.
Rode by myself for about a mile until somebody picked me off. Check his calf and he was in my AG. I don't know where he came from, I was checking behind me every minute or so. We ended up flip flopping back and for the rest of the ride. I tried to surge a few times to see what I could do and my legs just didn't want to respond. With about a mile to go I went by him and told him not to worry about me, I wasn't a runner. I don't think it mattered, he definately was. We came into and out of T2 together and that was about the last time I saw him.

Hell, I don't know about this. I felt like I was in pretty good shape, I just didn't have any top end today. I managed the hills pretty well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Perfectly executed my first running dismount in a race. It was a thing of beauty. Probably looked pretty neat too since the guy I had been riding back and forth with came in pretty much at the same time and did the same.

Get my shoes on a little quicker and not worry about getting my visor on until I'm running
Run
  • 23m 43s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I hadn't had the best bike ride in the world so I tried to see if I could push the run. That didn't work real well. Same thing as the bike, I just didn't have any top end. I was fine going about 85% but anything above that and I was on the edge of blowing up. Still went under 8:00 pace which is pretty good for me considering how hilly the bike was.

Do more run training
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Like I said above, I didn't have any top end today.

Well It turns out I was just starting to catch a cold. Not bad but maybe why I couldn't push the envelope.

Event comments:

Much, much improved from last year. That plus lots of pizza and spaghetti after the race were pretty good. Not real impressed with the "trophies", a towel with a race checklist on it, but I'll give them a little credit for trying to do something different.

Last updated: 2007-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:01 | 600 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 0/118
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Open ended triangle? About 45 degrees out to the turn buoy and then a straight line to the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:05
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:13 | 17 miles | 20.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/16
Wind: None
Course: Constant rollers. Nice little 150 ft climb right out of the park and then it was just up and down the whole way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:43 | 03 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/16
Course: Meandering park road with a few ups and downs. About 80% in the shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Tuscaloosa, AL
Subject: Black Warrior Triathlon -- Presented by Skyland Su

2007-06-28 4:49 PM
in reply to: #858943

User image

Veteran
Florida
Subject: RE: Black Warrior Triathlon -- Presented by Skyland Su
You did awesome...that bike was HARD (and the swim had to have been long, cause I've never swum that bad before ever if it wasn't long!)

It was an interesting race...I've never done hills like that before on the bike - being from Florida, I just do flat...the bike just killed me, couldn't comprehend how any of you had anything left for the run...

my husband got first in his age group (30-34)...but that is because he is absolutely insane on the bike...he said that he had nothing left for the run either, usually he is in the 6:00+/mile, this time he wasn't even close ...he said that the number one guy went by him out of T2, and proceeded to run a bit over 5:00/mile...that's just crazy...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Warrior Triathlon -- Presented by Skyland Su Rss Feed