Prospect Lake Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 37s
Overall Rank = 100/324
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:30. Had the usaual peanut butter and honey toast with a cup of apple sauce and a couple of cups of coffee. Loaded the bike in truck and left around 5:30. Got to the race site when transition opened at 6. Everyone had a pre-assigned space so there was no advantage to being early.
Event warmup:

I ran for 10 minutes or so. Did some windmills with my arms to losen up my shoulders. Some light stretching. Met some people out for thier first time. Gave them some tips. Got a jump on my hydration. Pu on lots of body glide.
Swim
  • 16m 17s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started to left. The sun was in our faces. I took what I thought was a good sight off a building and some trees. My plan was to stay left of the main bunch 40 guys, and swim a good warm up pace to the first buoy. Got into the water quick, and started swimming to where I sighted. I couln't see the bouy because of the sun. About 200 or so yds in to swim I noticed I was alone. I stopped and took a good sight and figured out I was going to be about 30 yds on the wrong side of the buoy. Made the adjustment, but I knew it cost me some time. After rounding the first buoy, the second was easy to see, I swam straight there at an increased pace drafting and passing others. Rounded the second bouy and pushed hard and straight for the last 200 or so yards.
What would you do differently?:

I made a sighting decision that cost me some time but given the fact I couldn't see into the sun I think I would do it again. Getting out of the water 6th in my AG, with a minor sighting foopah, is a good swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

My zipper got stuck on my wet suit. I was able to get it un-stuck while running but what a pain. Top of suit off while running. A quick push down on the thigh area, then the calf area and stepped out of the suit fairly easily. I used lots of body glide. Glasses on, helmet on and snapped, off and running.

I was 3rd quickest in my AG in T1. I am not changing anything here.
Bike
  • 41m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 19.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a small problem getting my right shoe on but once it was on things were good for awhile. My chain came off the big ring at the top of one of the hills. It didn't take long to fix but I had to stop get off the bike, then get back on, and get back up to speed. It definetly cost some time. I hyrdated every lap and finished about 16 ounces of accelerade on the ride. I feel good about this effort. From non-athlete to 4th in my AG in two years makes me very happy. I can't help but wonder what rank I would have gotten if the chain hadn't come off.

Not much, practice shoes on, shoes off, shoes on, shoes off while on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

4th best AG time in T2 and I even put on socks. The important thing for me to note is that I was in 4th place starting the run. I of course didn't know that at the time.

Learn to get off the bike running. Unbuckle my helmet while running to the rack. Run with out socks.
Run
  • 25m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the fastest 5k of my life. It started well, I was able to keep my cadence from the bike by keeping my stride short. About 8 minutes in to the run I felt like I was making good time. About 20 minutes into the run I began to get anerobic. Checked up on the pace for a minute and all was well. I was able to pick up the pace for the remainder of the race. I caught the 5th place guy but could not get around him. All and all this was the best run race I ever had.

Improve running pace and economy. I need a 7:00 to a 7:30 pace to be up front. I am currently 8:13
Post race
Warm down:

Dranks a nice cold sports drink while my grand kids shot me with water pistols. Enjoyed all the smiling people congratulated bunches of them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had to take about 8 weeks off running in April and May due to an injury. I only had 6 weeks of serious run training before the race. I surely wish I could have had that extra training under my belt. I was a little over 2 1/2 minutes from a medal. The swim sighting foopah, the chain incident and lack of run training cost me my first medal.

Event comments:

This is my hometown race. It is great for beginners and the purse is growing for the professionals. It is very well organized. This race is in its second year. I expect it will grow lots over the next couple of years.

Last updated: 2007-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:17 | 820 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 0/324
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wet Suit
Course: 1 lap around a triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:08 | 13.1 miles | 19.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/17
Wind: Little
Course: 4 laps. Each lap had 1 short steep hill and 1 long hill. Of course there were appropiate down hill sections. Completely closed to auto traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:33 | 03.11 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/17
Course: Mostly flat, out and back kind of course, around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-28 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
Subject: Prospect Lake Triathlon

2007-06-29 11:24 AM
in reply to: #865403

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Prospect Lake Triathlon

Good job on the race.  Nice fast run and good bike speed. 

Congrats

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Prospect Lake Triathlon Rss Feed