Run Wild Multisports Club
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 34s
Overall Rank = 33/68
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

When I went to pick up my packet the day before, the lady said, "Kids tri?" because I look really young and there was a kids race after mine. The morning of, I woke up at 5, made sure I had everything and took off for other race around six. When I got my body markings, the volunteers couldn't believe my age and whispered as I walked away. hee hee hee. Set up my transition area and waited for the start.
Event warmup:

no warm up. toooooo nervous.
Swim
  • 8h 46m
  • 300 yards
  • 2h 55m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I entered the pool, the pool-entering-regulator-man says, "I haven't met a young girl in a long time!" Then he found out I was 21. Hahaha, his face was priceless. I can honestly say I've never been called a "Baby faced sweetheart" before. Swim went much better than I thought it would. I submitted a 13:25 time and actually raced eight and a half minutes! No congestion and there was a near collision on my part (oops). First part over and feelin' good!
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to breathe correctly!
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Thought I was fine until my dad and sister came over and started taking pictures and yelling at me. I tried to respond, but I was in the zone and somewhat out of breath if you know what i mean and all I could really get out of my mouth were happy grunts. I have cages for bike pedals, so I just made my laces loose on my tennis shoes so I could slip my feet in easy and it worked really well. Took a swig of water, put my helmet on and off I went!

nothing.
Bike
  • 37h 24m
  • 10 miles
  • 0.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I REALLY wanted to do well on this. I took off, set my bike into a comfortable gear that I could keep a steady cadence with. I pedaled a little harder than usual, but not too hard that I would tire out for the rest of the ride and the run I would have to do. The magnet for my computer moved down the spoke and wasn't reading, so I had no clue of my rate or distance, fortunately I had ridden the course already so I knew how far I had to go and things like that.

Nothing. I'm very please with my ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Easy transition since I don't have cycling shoes. I just had to get off, switch a helmet for a cap, grab my number and start my run!

nothing
Run
  • 24h 13m
  • 2 miles
  • 12h 06m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

The humidity was killer that day. I've lived with it my whole life, but it figures THIS day, it would be extra angry. It took me a few minutes to make my legs work correctly after the bike, which I thought was really funny. I felt like a cowboy. Took off running, then my chest began to hurt even though I was doing the whole in through my nose out through my mouth kind of breathing...I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of running, so I ran when I could, but walked as well. Took two cups of water at each water station, one for drinking and one to pour on me. Threw some high fives with a few other girls. During the last 1/4 mile I began to feel nauseous as I was jogging. People were yelling "Finish Strong! Finish Strong!" and I was smiling in my mind, but I know my face was not. My stupid stomach was ruining my finish!!! RAAAAAAAGH! I don't even remember what the volunteer said to me after I finished and the poor lady who was taking off timing chips had to chase my ankle around as I was trying to get away from her for fear of throwing up on her. I mananged to keep it down and found some shade to cool off.

Hydrate more? I'm not sure because I felt hydrated, but I felt like a boiling chicken in that sun! I have to find a new way to keep cool. SOMETHING.
Post race
Warm down:

Finding one of the few spots of shade, conveniently located next to the ambulance. lol. (it was the closest bit of shade to the finish line)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat. I was tired when I finished, but I didn't hurt anything, I really just needed to cool off and get out of the sun. After I cooled off, I felt perfect.

Event comments:

I liked this race! It was a good first race.

Last updated: 2007-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
08:46:00 | 300 yards | 2h 55m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/68
Performance: Good
Suit: regular ol' one piece
Course: 25 yd. lanes, up and back twice in one lane and then up and back once for the remaining lanes of the pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
37:24:00 | 10 miles | 0.27 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: very flat out and back. Alexandria roads are always half repaired, meaning they just fill potholes with a different kind of concrete than the actual road, so it was bumpy for about two miles and there were bits of gravel here and there, but no hills. They had also marked large potholes and other things that looked hazardous.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
24:13:00 | 02 miles | 12h 06m 30s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Running on gravel through a corn field. heh heh heh.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 3:32 PM

New user

Alexandria, LA
Subject: Groovy Girls Triathlon I

2007-07-01 3:35 PM
in reply to: #867875

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Groovy Girls Triathlon I
congrats on your first tri!!! Awesome job "
2007-07-01 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Fantstic great report and a job well done. Sort of proud of you even though we hardly know each other.

Inspiring job.

2007-07-01 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Great job!!! Sounds like a perfect race for your first and you learned a lot for the future.
2007-07-02 3:47 PM

User image

It was great to meet you at Groovy Girls. (I stood in front of you in the swim.)  That was an incredible performance on your part and you should be proud.  Hope to see you at Groovy Girls II.
2007-07-02 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Congratulations on your first tri!  Love the part about taking two cups (one to drink and one to pour) because I do that too.  LOL!  Great race report with lots of great detail.  Thanks for sharing your race with us!

Diane

2007-07-02 8:16 PM

Great job on your 1st tri!!!!! It is hot out at LSUA. I did the volunteer work for a kidz tri 6/9 & there was very little shade. I heard the pool was extra hot, also. Anyway, great job!!!!! Probably will see you at more races since I live close by. So are you doing GG2?
2007-07-02 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Congratulations Groovy Girl! I saw you talking to Laura (LLP1970) at the swim start. And oh yes, congratulations on coming in second in your AG!! Way to go especially on your first tri!! Wasn't that humidity something else? Hey, I see that you do rowing? I'm a wannabe rower. Attempted it my freshman year in college (that was ages ago!!).

Hope to see you in GGII!! I have yet to do my RR for GGI.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Groovy Girls Triathlon I Rss Feed