Canada
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 40s
Overall Rank = 17/216
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/19
Pre-race routine:

Definitely not the optimal pre-race. I've been back and forth between my normal job and my summer employment so this week has been terrible from a training and race prep standpoint. Ended up with the last two days of nothing and not even a ride on my race bike with the race wheels on prior to the race. After supper I got my stuff together and sat around with Victoria. Went to bed early for a good sleep before the race. Woke around 5, had breakfast (1 can of ensure) and then went to the race site.
Event warmup:

Got to transition around 6, racked my bike and headed out for an easy jog - about 4km in 20', nice and easy pace. Got back, headed out on the bike for 11km (22' or so) on the course, just spinning and checking out the course. Got back to transition, got transition all set and since there was time before the swim course would open, went for another quick jog (11' - included some drills). Grabbed my wetsuit and headed for the water. Unfortunately, I fought with the wetsuit more than usual and didn't get time for much of a warm up. Got wet and maybe 100m of swimming before lining up - not quite perfect.
Had a Full Throttle after my first run and a gel with 30' to go before the start.
Swim
  • 13m 36s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

It took me until about the 300m to get warmed up. I’ve been swimming in Lake Banook lately and this is the slowest I’ve been. The first draft victim I chose took me a little off course so I had to correct and found another swimmer to follow who held a line to the finish. The effort felt right but the pace was slower than expected. I had been hoping to swim around 12-12:30 so the extra minute was disappointing.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in training and a better warmup.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

There is about a 200-300m run to the racks over grass so once I had my suit around my waist, I got out of my suit on the grass. With nothing to hold onto, I fell, but still think this is the way to go. Got to my bike, put on glasses and helmet and grabbed the bike.

Don't fall over :)
Bike
  • 38m 37s
  • 20.2 kms
  • 31.39 km/hr
Comments:

I felt much strong on the bike than last year – I remember a constant stream of cyclists passing me last year and this year I think it was only four (or five) and I passed the same number. At the turnaround I was in 16th and maintained that back to transition. The pace felt solid but not too hard which was what I was planning, but was hoping to be under 36’ this year so again, a little disappointed with the time. As I know I am stronger on the bike and with the addition of aero equipment (helmet and wheels) along with comparison of other ride times, it looks like the bike was running a bit slower this year. According to my bike computer, the course was more like 20.7km.

Push the pace a little on the return trip (lower HR than expected).
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Flying dismount, jog to the rack, racked the bike, helmet off, shoes on and away I went. Pretty much perfect.

Nothing.
Run
  • 20m 40s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 08s  min/km
Comments:

My legs felt like lead and when I glanced back in the first 100m of the run, I saw someone coming on strong – I figured it was only a matter of time. I focused on keep a solid cadence and running at a pace that was hard but sustainable. My calf started to cramp at about .5km, but shortly thereafter it worked itself out. The next glance I took, I had added distance to the guy behind me and was starting to reel in others – by the turnaround I had passed four people, but was about 1’ down on the next runner. I thought I might catch him, but with about 500m to go, I could see him about 250m short of the line and knew I was done passing people for the day. I glanced behind me and saw that there was nobody close so didn’t really kick for the line, just cruised in with the 12th best run on the day!

Push a little harder on the run - need to break 20'!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim warmup and fitness; otherwise a solid race.

Event comments:

I didn’t meet any of my time goals (1’ off on the swim, 2:30 off on the bike and 40” off on the run) but still had a solid showing. I think the course was running slower than last year (in addition to adding 150m to the run course in order to make it 5k) as I know I’m significantly stronger on the bike this year and had almost the same time. I am very happy with being top 20% on the swim and bike and well inside the top 10% of the run. Still didn’t break 20’ for the 5k but almost – next time…

Last updated: 2007-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:36 | 750 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 35/216
Performance: Below average
HR 164
Suit: Ocra Evo Fullsuit
Course: Clockwise rectangle in Lake Banook
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:37 | 20.2 kms | 31.39 km/hr
Overall: 36/216
Out - 21:23 HR 166 Back - 17:14 HR 160
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on Waverly Road to Montague Road. Mainly uphill going out and downhill on the return.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:40 | 05 kms | 04m 08s  min/km
Overall: 12/216
Out - 10:40 HR 168 Back - 10:00 HR 174
Course: Out and back along Lake Banook and then on to Shubie Park. Some sidewalk, ashphalt and about 50% trails - yeah, x-country running :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-02 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Investor's Group Triathlon

2007-07-02 10:26 PM
in reply to: #868878

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Investor's Group Triathlon
awesome race!  great T2!  very solid run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Investor's Group Triathlon Rss Feed