United Kingdom
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was traveling to St. Petersburg Russia via London with my parents. We stayed overnight in a downtown hotel. The concierge told us to give ourselves enough time next morning to get to the airport because of street closures due to the race.
-What race?
-London 10K.
-Really? Where is that?
-Oh, it starts just around the corner and goes through downtown.
Of course, I knew I wanted to run it! Unfortunately the registration was already closed. So I had to pirate it :)
Needless to say, I am in no shape to set PR's with my log empty the last month. Plus, I only slept for about 2 hours on the plane from Denver to London. But what the heck.. Who knows when I'd get another chance to run a race in London..
We went out the night before - had a wonderful meal in a Moroccan restaurant and then visited a few pubs. I couldn't fall asleep till 3am because of the time difference. Watched horror movies like Rekviem for a Dream. Somehow I managed to get up at 7 and go to the start area.
Event warmup:

I thought it was supposed to start at 8. I knew the start was in the park, but wasn't sure where exactly. It was freezing and raining - lovely weather after our 100 degree days. So I just figured I'll start running and probably see the race and join in.
I saw a few random joggers but nothing like I was expecting... I finally saw a few people who had race bibs on. I talked to them and it turned out that the race was to start at 9:30. There was no need to wake up at 7 I guess.
I went back to the hotel, had breakfast and got to the start around 9.
There were thousands of people (around 20,000 I think) wrapped around the corner of the street. Elites were at the start line - about 30 men and women including a female cross-country world champion from Kenya. Others were separated from elites and led to the start by race officials after the elites started.
Interestingly, there were no timing chips - not for elites nor for regular mortals. And no separate waves like in Boulder. I am not even sure if people were sorted by there speed at all and how they would find out their finish time.
I was standing on the sidewalk with other spectators and planned to join the racers a few minutes after the start.
Run
  • 45m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I joined the runners just a couple minutes after the elites started. To my surprise, for the most part people were pretty slow. Compared to Bolder Boulder anyway. Of course the Kenyans were speedy, but I cought up with some British "elite" women pretty soon. (Paula Radcliffe was not there for some reason.)
Something happened to the cross country world champion in the first km - I saw her walking within first few minutes. Very sad, given that she wanted to break 32 min and probably was hoping to win the whole thing...
I just ran without worrying too much about my time. Just enjoyed racing in London. Still, I was passing a lot of people. Soon, not too many people were around anymore. And very few women. Weird, in Bolder Boulder as fast as I ran I was constantly surrounded by tons of people.
Even though it was raining the whole time I was drinking at every water station - must have needed it after the pub-hopping the night before. They gave out water in bottles instead of cups. People would grab full 20oz bottle, take a couple sips and throw it away - so much waste!
Another interesting thing - it seems like everyone there runs for charity. I see a lot of charity outfits in US too of course, but in London there were more people wearing them - seemed like everybody.
I got off the course about 200m before the finish since I was a pirate.

Post race
Warm down:

We finished a couple miles away from my hotel, so I just jogged back - we had to leave for the airport shortly.

Event comments:

I am glad the concierge mentioned it and I got to run it! It was fun! :)

Last updated: 2007-07-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:00 | 06.21 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Mostly flat course going through downtown of London. Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, all the goodies :)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-03 12:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: London 10K

2007-07-03 6:11 PM
in reply to: #869990

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: London 10K
Ok, I'm jealous... not only because you raced in London, but because now your a Pirate. I want to be a Pirate! I even have the tattoo.

Great report. I hope you blog some more workouts while you are in Russia. This one was very cool... yeah, the H2O bottle wastage is dumb.

Great job though... I love the spontaneity of it!
2007-07-04 8:08 AM

Champion
South Jersey

WOW! That's so cool you were able to participate in a race during your layover in London on a trip to Russia !

Sounded like fun. And, I guess it's sort of cool that you're a pirate .

Have a great time in Russia.

2007-07-04 6:35 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
So cool and so FUN!!!  Have a great trip   ENJOY!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » London 10K Rss Feed