Cure Autism Now Foundation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 56s
Overall Rank = 62/883
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:30, had a banana and clif bar, got in the car, drove to the race.
Event warmup:

Avoided the pre-race warm-up (guy yelling into a megaphone, people doing jumping jacks and pushups) which just like last year I found not to be very calming.
Light jog for about 6 minutes to get warmed up and a little bit of stretching. Cup of water and ready to go.
Run
  • 20m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Last year, I wrote for what I would do differently, "Maybe move a bit closer to front of the pack at the start." So I did just that. But I still ended up running through a couple of front yards on the outside for the first minute, so I could probably have moved up even further toward the front.

My goal was to beat last year's time of 24:47, so I wanted to start out a little faster than usual. When I got to the first mile marker, I was surprised to see my first mile split was 6:36 and thought there was no way I'd be able to keep up that pace. I didn't bother with the water station halfway through, and my 2-mile split was somewhere around 13:15 or 13:20. So I knew that if I could keep it up, I'd definitely set a PR. Ran through a sprinkler or two on the way back up the main road, passing a few more people along the way, and then I began to sprint once I got around the last corner and downhill to the finish line.

I didn't stop my watch right away, so it wasn't until later in the day when I saw my time posted that I knew I had broken 21 minutes and set a personal record for a 5k.
What would you do differently?:

Move up even further toward the front, start the sprint toward the end sooner. Felt like I really pushed myself and that this was my best race so far.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and half a bagel, waited at the finish line for Nathalie. Some more water and a slice of pizza before heading home.

Event comments:

Second year running this race. A nice way to start the day on July 4th.

Last updated: 2007-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:56 | 03.11 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/19
Overall: 18/883
Performance: Good
Course: B-shaped course through a nice neighborhood. Mostly downhill for the first mile with a couple of short climbs. Finish with a nice downhill stretch.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes