Tuxedo Brother's Event Management
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 36s
Overall Rank = 125/267
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 5am - Ate 1/2 Raisin English Muffin with peanut butter, 1/2 banana and cup of coffee. Got about 6-ish hours of sleep last night. Got to venue around 6am - was the first triathlete there, so I racked bike in primo spot for our range of #'s - assigned racks, but not assigned rack space - first come first serve for particular rack.

Cal: 1135
HRMax: 101%/187
HRAvg: 90%/167

I ate a Orange Clif Shot Block with 1/2 Caffine about 15 minutes before the swim.

Let's see, what else - I wore the tri-suit - was very helpful.
Event warmup:

Some light stretching, and ran about 1/2 mile (to parking lot to get Jaymie/kids). Aside from that, not much.
Swim
  • 12m 7s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the front, got a great start, and for the most part, I stayed in the front of the pack. My lovely wife said I was one of the first out of the water (From the data, I was the 11th person out of the water). I had some minor sighting issues, some fogging and issues with sun in my eyes, but for the most part, it was good. There were some waves due to water skiiers.
What would you do differently?:

I need to figure out the whole fogging thing, as well as work on adjusting goggles to fit better. I also need to keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, just keep swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Didn't dry off and no socks - just helmet, glasses and shoes - was very quick for me.

Actually felt pretty good - only thing to try would be to put shoes on while on bike. I also did not strap the shoes tight, left them a little loose. This was not on purpose, and my middle toes were pretty numb at T2.
Bike
  • 37m 45s
  • 14 miles
  • 22.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Race felt FAST on the new bike. I got a little tired on a couple of spots, but, for the most part, I didn't do too bad on the ride. Speaking of the ride, I like the new bike - it's fast!. Plus, I really like the Aero bottle and the Bento box setup. Next purchase is a Chaero Disk Cover for the rear wheel - now that I am riding fast enough to warrant Aerodynamics.

Ride lots, there is always time to gain on the bike by riding faster. I think I was in pretty good condition today, but I could feel there is room for improvement. I need to experiment with nutrition - I ate 2 Orange Clif Shot Block with Caffine while on the bike, and kept burping it up on the way back. I *may* have had a bit much liquid on the ride too, bit not enough to cause issues. More water/less Gatorade - and need to train with whatever liquid I am going to race with - usually train with water.

I also need to ride the tri bike more - I need to get the seat (both the bike and mine) broken in.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Got shoes off while approaching the dismount line - worked out well. Racked bike a little sloppy, probably lost up to 5 seconds here. No socks - just slipped shoes on, grabbed hat and belt and put them on while running. This worked out very nicely, and made for a screaming fast (fast for me) T2.

Lost at least 5-10 seconds fighting with my left shoe heel - it pushed down while pulling my shoes on. Sloppy bike racking cost me probably less than 5 seconds.
Run
  • 27m 45s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

My running sucks. I have great swim, T1, bike & T2, only to watch it go down the drain with my run. Granted, my run was faster than normal (by 5 minutes), just not quite where I want it to be. I think my 10 mile run last weekend was definetly helpful, will be doing more of that in the immediate future.

Run lots more. My run felt a little better, but my HR kept hitting in the mid-170s, and I had to walk a couple of times for about 30 seconds to try to get it down enough so I could finish the race - this is a conditioning issue. I need to work on my 5k time - I need to get my 5k time down 5 minutes, to the low 20's - it wouldn't have put me in position to get hardware, but would have put me BoFoP.
Post race
Warm down:

Some liquids, some food, and a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a great race, I'll think about this and add, but for the most part, I think I just really need to work on my overall run conditioning, obviously I need to work on my conditioning on all sports.

Event comments:

One again, Tuxedo Brothers makes a hit - I'm glad to have been a part of the first year of this race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:07 | 600 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/28
Overall: 32/267
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 89%/166 End HR: 88%/163
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Clockwise Rectangle around beach area.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:45 | 14 miles | 22.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/28
Overall: 121/267
Avg HR: 8%/164 End HR: 92%/171
Wind: Little
Course: Loop course, out to river and back. Some rollers, but no real hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:45 | 03 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/28
Overall: 221/267
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 92%/171 End HR: 97%/181
Course: Out and back, on top of the levy. Grassy. Water at 1 & 2 miles. Grass needed cut shorter prior to a race. I was forced to stay in the "grooves" from previous runners. Grass was not long, just not short either - maybe about 4-6 inches long.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes