Dallas Athletes
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 50s
Overall Rank = 63/295
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/20
Pre-race routine:

Couldn't sleep worth a crap the night before. I'm guessing I slept about 2 hours or so. Got up at 4:05am, got dressed and put transition bag in car. Toasted bagels for me and Dad23 with peanut butter, grabbed 3 bannanas and our Gatorade for the bikes and headed out about 4:35am. Stopped at 7-11 to get coffee and water and headed out for the 1 hr. 15 min. drive to the race. Ate bagel in the car about 5:30am and then ate the bannana about 7am at the race site.
Event warmup:

None really, just aired my tires up at the car, walked bike to transition and set up. Did walk around a bit after everything was set up. Waited in LOOOONG porta-potty line twice. Was lucky enough to get one of the "luxury" potties the first time!
Run
  • 08m 3s
  • 1 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it slow on this run. It was difficult navigating through all the different paces (some of them walking) while watching to not get run over by the bikes that were coming on the left behind us and runners on the other side of the cones that had already gone around the turnaround. It was crazy for the women under 40 crowd until we hit the turnaround, then it was less crowded.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could have done differently.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Still working on transitions. I never train on these and I guess my times are evident of that. I'm freaking slow in transitions and I'm not real sure why. I used my road shoes since my new tri shoes don't have cleats yet, and the road shoes take a little while to put on with the 3 velcro straps and all. Had a little trouble getting my bike off the rack, but nothing major. Ran with bike to mount line and had to totally stop to get on bike...I can just picture the spectacle if I actually tried leaping on my bike while it's moving (not pretty).

Practice, practice, practice.
Bike
  • 49m 51s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 21.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Never caught my rabbit. :( My goal was to catch up to my husband (Dad23). Didn't make it. Oh well, I do feel good about my bike performance regardless. If my calculations are correct, I was the fastest woman on the bike today. Woohoo!

The bike course was quite crowded and I had to ride a lot in the traffic lane because the shoulder was too congested. After the turnaround, it thinned out some and I was able to ride on the white line most of the way. Went back and forth passing and being passed by a few people near the end, which made me push it harder I think. I managed to drink my whole aerodrink of Gatorade, so that was a plus!

Catch my rabbit! No really, nothing, I'm happy with my bike performance today.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

This transition time seems a bit better than T1. My bike rack was pretty close to bike in/out, so I didn't have far to run with my bike. Ate my Gu while running this time, so didn't waste time there like I usually do.

Practice!
Run
  • 25m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Besides the heat and humidity, this run felt really good for me. I usually hate the first mile of running after the bike, but it didn't seem too bad today. Maybe it was all the confusion on the course that kept my mind off of it. Was able to grab Accelerade at the first aid station and drank a little. Then grabbed water at the next one and drank a sip and dumped the rest on my head. Tried to grab water TWICE at the next aid station, but both times it got knocked out of my hand by another runner. Oh well, at least I was close to finishing at that point.

About mile 2 when my heart rate was spiking and the heat was getting to me, I found a nice pace behind a 46 year old man and decided I would just stay with him for the remainder of the run. This worked well and I was able to keep running the whole time while still letting my heart rate go down a little.

Nothing, I feel pretty good about this one.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot of water, Vitamin Water, and Accelerade. Also ate some watermelon and 1 piece of pizza. Stood around and talked to other BTers and had a good time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really.

Event comments:

Except for the serious lack of porta-potties, I think this was a pretty good race. There was quite a bit of confusion at the beginning and I think some people even missed their starting time because of the potty situation. The course was way too crowded and dangerous on the first run with FAST bikes coming up behind us on the left and other runners on the other side of the cones. The people walking this first mile also made it difficult to navigate around them. I think Dallas Athletes did an adequate job pulling off this race with the situation they faced with the lake water.

Last updated: 2007-07-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:08:03 | 01 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 159/295
Performance: Good
Course: 1 mile loop on park road
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:49:51 | 17.6 miles | 21.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 30/295
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on park roads and county road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:30 | 03.11 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 106/295
Course: Trail through park with some shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Subject: Disco Duathlon (Sprint)

2007-07-09 3:52 PM
in reply to: #877688

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Disco Duathlon (Sprint)

You are so FAST on the bike!  Dad23 must've really been having one of his better days for you not to catch him. 

Congrats on the hardware!  You should put it up on the wall like you're a platinum selling artist.

2007-07-09 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Dallas Athletes were kind enough to spot Dad23 a large enough head start so that his wife wouldn't crush his spirit (I like to think of the entry fee as a payoff for this service). Thanks DA!

Mom23, you're awesome!

Edited by Dad23 2007-07-09 4:29 PM
2007-07-09 9:29 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Ok... uuummm... a 8 minute mile is a SLOW run? I WISH! Fast if you ask me!

I also think your transition times are impressive. Of course, all my transition times are a standard 2 minutes plus. I hope that getting some tri-bike shoes will speed me up someday... but I doubt it... I'm slow because I don't care to go fast .

Your bike was smoking fast too! I hope to see an average like that some day.

That is nuts that 2 cups of water got knocked out of your hand. Shows how chaotic it was out there on the course!
2007-07-09 11:15 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

remember that jim carrey movie the mask.....You were smokin......fast that is..

great job 

2007-07-10 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Wow.. fast!!  Congrats on the hardware!  You bike split is awesome.

2007-07-10 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
You obviously paced yourself perfectly. It is impressive that you went from 11/20 on the first run, to 6/20 on the second run. Awesome job winning your AG.
2007-07-11 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Excellent job, Kelley! Amazing bike split! You did that and had a hurt leg at the same time. Can you imagine what you would have done if you had a good leg!!??!! I would love to be able to average a 8:12min/ mi in a tri, like you did. You are fast all around!

Now to focus on Longhorn! That is going to be fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Duathlon (Sprint) Rss Feed