General Discussion Race Reports! » Morden CornMan - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Morden CornMan - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morden, Manitoba
Canada
Winnipeg IronCops
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group = Women 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am. Took a shower to shave the legs and wake up. Ate a Clif bar, drank a cup of coffee and iced my big broken toe on my way to the race.
Event warmup:

Hopped on the bike for 5 minutes before taking it to transition - the foot felt okay. Swam 100m or so before race start.
Swim
  • 48m 40s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got in the water and stayed with a group until the first buoy then I seemed to be all alone which is fine. I settled into a comfortable pace and sighted well. I tried to go faster on the second lap but I really couldn't get a good kick on because of my foot.

I wasn't the last out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Kick? I really couldn't kick too hard to be effective at all. Still, I'm happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 07m
Comments:

Walked/limped to transition. Got the swim stuff off. Wrapped my big toe and the one beside it in gauze for padding and some support. Then was on my way. At the bike mount line, the official asked me where my race bib was. Doh! I had to go all the way back to get my race belt which added another 1:30 at least.

Not forget the race belt.
Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 27.5 kms
  • 22.00 km/hr
Comments:

From the start, I felt totally uncomfortable on the bike. The toe didn't hurt, but my mechanics weren't right. I was totally compensating for the lack of power from my left side with my right leg. It was like I hadn't been on a bike in months - it was that bad.

After only 10k, my legs started to hurt, burn and my left foot was numb. I made it to the first turnaround aid station and called it a day. The volunteers, all dressed up as pirates, were incredibly enthusiastic and accommodating.

Not break my toe?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 21.1 kms
  •  min/km
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My big toe.

I was glad that I tried. I was even more happy with myself for knowing when to stop and not risk further injury. It sucks not to finish a race, but it also makes me more determined to get back and get 'er done next year!

Event comments:

I was able to cheer on everyone else at transition as they came in from the bike, went off on the run, returned to start their second loop, and then finally finish.

Congrats to all the finisher - you were all super inspiring

http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=2613

Last updated: 2007-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:40 | 1900 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca
Course: Beach start. Athletes will swim 2 loops counter clockwise with the buoys always on your left. Exit the water on 1st loop, run around Buoy re-enter the water at the designated point. Exit the water, continue up shoot to transition.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:00 | 27.5 kms | 22.00 km/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Headwind
Course: Turning west on Highway #3. Proceed west on Highway #3 to Aid Station #2 (27km), where you will make your first turnaround. Follow Hwy #3 back to the Junction of Hwy#31 turning South. Take Highway #31 south to Aid Station #3 (55km), where you will make your second turnaround. Follow Hwy# 31 back to Hwy #3. Turn East onto #3. Follow Hwy #3 back to Colert Beach.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 21.1 kms |  min/km
Performance:
Course: Exit transition running on Kinsmen Community Footpath At the end of the footpath continue East on Alvey St Turn south on Pembina Dr South on Tulip St West on Conner Hill Drive, follow Conner Hill Dr turning North on Dogwood St East on Conner Hill Dr North on Tulip North on Pembina Dr East on South Railway St Cross Mountain St South Continue East on Stephen St North on 13th St Cross Thornhill St into Morden Park Follow path through Morden Park Exiting and turning East on Gilmour St Follow to turnaround West on Gilmour St South through Morden Park South on 13th St crossing Thornhill St continuing south on 13th St West on Stephen St Cross Mountain St South West on South Railway St South on Pembina West on Alvey St West on Kinsmen Community Footpath to Start/Finish CornMan athletes make the turn around and repeat loop starting with running East on Kinsmen Community Footpath.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: Morden CornMan - Half Iron Distance

2007-07-15 8:57 PM
in reply to: #886495

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Morden CornMan - Half Iron Distance

Big fat, ugly toe, notwithstanding...you did great marina...You should have no regrets. I really appreciate you being there, but I appreciate the effort you made. Even though it was (a lot!) stupid...it really demonstrates the mind game that I so obviously have to learn!

Great effort! Get better already would ya! 

2007-07-15 9:30 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice swim and way to get out there and give it a go.

Hope your toe heals up quickly and  you can get back training/racing pain free. 

2007-07-15 11:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Sask.
Great effort, glad to hear you did what you could and didn't push yourself past your breaking point, no regrets.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morden CornMan - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed