Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Bike
  • 8h 50m
  • 120 miles
  • 13.58 mile/hr
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a bad year for training, with the weather the way it was, I didn't get out until late April this year. The longest ride I've logged prior to doing the triple was 60 miles. I also haven't figured out the whole fueling science yet. I now know that I should be taking in gu or some kind of food about every 30 - 45 minutes during the ride. I need to make sure and get enough drink with sodium as well.

Event comments:

I got started a little late (6:45 AM) due to parking being very limited. However I felt good, and made good time.

Juniper Pass:
This was the first pass. I planned on starting off easy, just until I could get warmed up. After about ten minutes I felt pretty good, and began to pick up the pace.
I was able to stay in the middle chain ring all the way up Juniper. When I reached the summit, I stopped for a quick couple of minutes to refill my water bottles. The ride down to Idaho springs was a little crowded in some sections, but it was still a lot of fun. Those aero bars are great!
The ride from Idaho springs to Georgetown was fairly easy I stopped off in Georgetown for 5 minutes to refuel.

Georgetown to Loveland:
It was starting to get a little warm out, so I made sure to hydrate about every 5 minutes or so. The I70 portion of the ride was a little sketchy with all the truck traffic heading up to the mountains, this made me a little uneasy when passing other riders. The aid station at Loveland ski resort was a welcome break, I spent a good 30 minutes here, stretching, eating and drinking.

Loveland Pass:
The ride up Loveland pass seemed a lot quicker this year. I felt like my legs were still pretty fresh and I was able to sustain a good cadence all the way up. Once at the top, I snapped a few pictures and headed down. The ride down was fun! I was able to stay in my aero bars for the entire descent, reaching speeds of 45 to 50 mph!
The ride from Keystone to Breckenridge was fairly windy and I could start to feel the effects of dehydration. I finished off what drink I had and refueled at the Breck aid station.

Frisco to Vail Pass
The ride from Frisco to Copper was a gradual never ending ascent, I was starting to feel tired and very thirsty. I think this is where I hit the wall. I noticed that I had a thick coating of salt on my face, and my heart rate didn't want to go above 140. I knew I had to get some salt, and the accelerade they provided didn't have that much sodium in it.
Once in Copper, I found a convenience store and bought a coke and a bag of salty potato chips, after about 10 minutes I started too feel a whole lot better and headed up Vail pass. I knew once I got to the summit it would be downhill the rest of the way, so I made no excuses and powered my way up just as fast as I could.

Vail Pass to Avon:
Upon reaching the summit, I didn't stop, I continued down into Vail.
This is where I got a second wind, I mean I really felt strong all the way into Avon. I think it had something to do with knowing the finish line was close. I have to say, it was a lot of fun having traffic stop for you while whipping around those traffic circles in Vail.

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Biking
08:50:00 | 120 miles | 13.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: Triple Bipass Ride

2007-07-15 8:10 PM
in reply to: #886510

User image

Denver
Subject: RE: Triple Bipass Ride
Great ride, bro!  That middle section was pretty brutal, but the end sure was fun.  See you at the 20th Anniversary ride next year!  (oh, and at the 5430 Long Course, but I'll be in the dinosaur division so you can run me over if they start your wave behind us!)
2007-07-16 12:50 PM
in reply to: #886763

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Triple Bipass Ride
Thanks, yeah I'm already looking forward to riding it next year. As far as the 5430 Long course is concerned, I just hope to finish. It will be my first 1/2 ironman.

(lovelandtriple.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
lovelandtriple.jpg (94KB - 33 downloads)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triple Bipass Ride Rss Feed