General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness
Total Time = 2h 38m 54s
Overall Rank = 215/1089
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 12/44
Pre-race routine:

Stayed on Holiday Inn, had Homey Nut Cheerios and banana for breakfast after 4:30 wakeup. Left about 5:30 for a 5 min drive, traffic bad due to race. Barb dropped me off and I got to TA about 6:00. Got marked. TA very crowded found a spot to squeeze in.
Event warmup:

With TA closing at 6:30, no real warmup for bike or run. Swim is wetsuit legal which is great, I was a little uptight about an Olympic w/o wetsuit. I did run some in the grass barefoot. Swim warmup.
Swim
  • 33m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

As this was a TT type start we went into the warmup corral about 7:42. I thought I was 820 but there was another guy who was 820. No 821 in line. I went at 821 spot. Ny number was actually 802. I thought my swim went pretty well, I liked the TT start. Not sure if my swim time was affected by my screw up. 100 yd pace was 2:03, if I subtract 57 seconds for my delayed start my 100 yd pace is 2:00. Results list 100 meter pace. I did get a slight cramp in left calf about 2/3 of way thru swim, same as Buffalo.
What would you do differently?:

Know your race number!! I had 820 on my arm cause that's what I told them at marking, my number was 802. Stupid!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

T1 was long due to size of TA. I was 4/44 in AG, 193/1089 overall so I guess it was good. I got wetsuit off faster than normal, no sticking on ankles. I had a little trouble getting going on bike, details are already foggy but one of my bike shoes jammed on ground when I started with out with other foot on top of shoe. I guess it was lucky it stayed clipped in and I stayed upright. This has not been a problem before.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 14m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt I pushed bike pretty hard but still came up just short of 20 mph. Was it the multiple corners and sharp turns? Not sure. It seemed I was over 20 mph most of the time (when I was able to look). Lots of volunteers on bike course and we always knew of sharp turns. By the time I ran it was windy but I didn't notice wind too much on bike course.

Get faster so I can get into low 20's mph pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

T2 also went well, 7/44 AG & 180/1089 overall.

Nothing
Run
  • 46m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Not too bad at first but dtill didn't feel I had my running legs till about 1.5 miles in. I paced off of a guy for the 1st loop but passed him at the Y intersection for loop 2 and finish. I ran 2nd leg faster, so I think it was because I sped up rather than him slowing down. Last 100 yards I was pushing and had terrible side stitch. Would have liked my run time to be closer to 7:00-7:15 pace.

I've been racing w/o a watch, going off of feel. I know on my road races I wear my Garmin and knowing pace helps motiviate and keep me on track. I'll have to see about using new Garmin bike/wrist mount for races.
Post race
Warm down:

Hard to even stand upright with side stitch but it only lasted for a minute or so. Grabbed some food and drink, found Barb and rested. Barb was giving direction to Bob & Kay, who I had seen crossing bridge just after 4 mile mark. Talked to Harvey & Bill from RochesterTri, nice to wear our kits at the races.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Compared to Buffalo my race times were about the same, somewhat disappointed in run pace 7:13 to 7:26 drop. I was hoping to knock off 4-5 minutes. As this was only my 2nd Oly distance I'm still satisfied. Decent AG rank. I now know I can handle the distance, need to work on actually racing and improving time.

Event comments:

I definitely don't like TA closing so long before race start but I understand in a race this big they have little choice. I guess I'm not a fan of huge races like this one based on my still limited experience. I may do Lifetime again but it's not a race I plan on doing every year.

Last updated: 2007-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:37 | 1640 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/44
Overall: 492/1089
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Big square 2 sharp righ turns
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:14:58 | 24.85 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/44
Overall: 272/1089
Wind: Some
Course: Course was city streets along the lakes and residential neighborhoods. Pretty flay but a lot of turns, some very sharp. Seldom could you see very far ahead. I didn't notice much wind but run was windy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:08 | 06.21 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/44
Overall: 134/1089
Course: Flat, double loop arounf Lake Nokomis.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic

2007-07-15 8:06 PM
in reply to: #886657

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic
Great race! I too didn't like the closing at 6:30, but luckily I was one of the first waves. It still made me feel like I wasn't set up 100% in my tranny spot. Oh well.

I too will do this Oly again. Only to beat this years time!
2007-07-15 8:12 PM

Pro
yep,
great job on the race.  Good pace on the bike and run.
2007-07-16 6:33 AM

Great job! I wasn't a big fan of the 6:30 transition area close however it makes sense for such a big race. Oh well. All of your splits are impressive, especially your run considering the side stitch. Good luck with the rest of your season.
2007-07-16 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
Hey our races are pretty similar.  I think all the cornering kills a bike average.  Nice race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed