Ironhead Race Productions
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 40s
Overall Rank = 104/435
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/54
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 ate 2 slices of wheat toast with PB and drank a glass of NUUN. Woke up later than normal but my wife and son were suppose to come and I wanted to give them more time to sleep. My wife was not feeling well so I told her to stay home. Unfortunately now I was going to be a bit rushed but oh well. Drove about 45 minutes to the lake and on the way there my morning/pre race restroom need hit me about half way there. Parked my car and got my stuff together as fast as humanily possible to make it to the port-o-potty. Got to tranisition and ran by the body markers to use the potty. That was a close call but at least I know now I will be okay during the race. Set up transition, talk to a few peope (seal123 and jwise) and go check out the water. Dang, standing on short 1500 meters looks really far!!!
Event warmup:

Swam a little bit to warm up. The water is extemely warm but it is better than being cold.
Swim
  • 33m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim start was actually a deep water start, my last race at the same place was actually water about chest high but the lake was deeper this time. I was in the first wave which was nice because I new there would not be the slow swimmers in the other waves to deal with plus I would be finished before it really started to get hot out. Horn goes off and it push my button to start on my Garmin which is in a zip lock under my swim cap. I don't think I hit it so press it again, at this point it is either going or I stopped it but will never know. Swim went fine, I tried to find a rythem and not push too hard. I just want to make it out of the water in under 30:00 minutes which I believe is feesable consider the sprint I did the month before at the same lake I did in 1:50/100 meters so I would have been around 28 or 28 minutes. My sighting was a little off, I tried to use other people and not buoys and that threw me off. I got stuck around a few people that I had problems negotiated also but tried to draft, which since I don' t like getting kicked I am not very good at. Exited the water and looked at my time, :01, oops I stopped it which is a good thing since my time was around 33 minutes. Looking back I think the course was probably 200mtrs too long based on my time and other peoples times. Either way it does not matter but if I would have seen 33minutes and the distance be right I would have pushed too hard on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Not stop my watch. Push harder, I probably could have swam faster but wanted to enjoy myself
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

T1 time better than T1 from Metroplex sprint but only by 3 sec. Put on glasses, shoes and helmet, dang it, it is too small, my son had tightened it the other day and I forgot to check it, fix it and go. probably cost me 5 seconds no big deal.

Check ALL equipment before race
Bike
  • 1h 12m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 21.67 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was 21mph so that I could run the whole 10K at the end. Get on and check out cadence (brand new addition to garmin on friday) but it is not working, need to check that too before the race. No big deal, I did not use it in training so I won't know any difference. I try to keep at a steady pace. This course is FAST, I only averaged 21.4 the month before on the same course during a sprint so I thought I would be in trouble when my first loop was done at 21.8mph. Tried to slow down on second lap and just enjoy the day. Previous race I had taken my feet out of my shoes about a mile from the transition by mistake so I knew better this time. Approaching T2, take feet out of shoes and jump off bike while still moving. PR bike for any distance.

I probably could have pushed harder and averaged over 22mph. Other than that, nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Good T2, just couldn't get bike on rack smoothly. Hat and shoes on and decide not to take bottle of NUUN since there is 8 aid stations on 10K course. Overall I was about 10 seconds faster than my sprint.

Take Nuun since the gatorade was limited and too thick.
Run
  • 52m 10s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was only to break 1 hour. I had not done a long brick before this race so I was kind of concerned. Leave T1 and feel great, am running about a 7:30 pace, which I know I cannot keep up so I slow down as much as possible. The water I drank on the bike starts to kick in and I think I might need to use the restroom, but I think I will be okay. Settle down to about 8:20 pace but am getting tired. I keep telling my self to run a half mile then walk for a little bit, but never actually walk except through the aid stations. I was able to trick my self pretty much the whole run to keep going. Saw Aaron (jeepfleeb), Chris (seal123) and Karen (KSH) on the run course.

More long bricks. Also, I had never run a stand along 10K, only 5K or races longer than 10K so this a PR run.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank alot of water and waited for other finishers. Ate some pizza and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim course being too long, need more Long bricks. BTW, I look at the race results today and had I raced Clydesdale (which I am eligible to do) I would have won out of 29 people by almost a full minute. Dang it, but oh well.

Event comments:

This was a great race and run very well, there is just not alot going on after. Not really sure what I expect but just alot of talking after. The course it pretty easy, no hills really to speak of, but it is better than being too hard.

Last updated: 2007-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:11 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/54
Overall: 157/435
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Shorts and Top
Course: Clockwise triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:32 | 26.2 miles | 21.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/54
Overall: 110/435
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 2 loop course, extemely fast and flat.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:10 | 06.2 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/54
Overall: 157/435
Performance: Good
Course: Just like the bike it was extremely fast, but not well shaded so it was getting hot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

2007-07-16 11:14 AM
in reply to: #887460

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

This was great performance Ken.  I've heard from several people that the swim course was long.  I've experienced that with Jack's races before too, so it doesn't surprise me.

Good job of not letting your Garmin problems bother you.  I've had my Polar not work during several races, and it's always frustrating.  

Your run split was very good especially for having never run a stand alone 10K.  This race experience will serve you very well for Praireman.  

2007-07-16 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Great race Ken.  For your first olympic, that is really an impressive time!  Sounds like you managed everything out on the course very well and incorporated a sound race strategy.

And regardless of missing out on the hardware, I think you made the right decision in not racing as a clydes.  But this is arguable, depending on who you talk to.

Congrats.

2007-07-16 11:34 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

sounds like it was a good race for you with all the little surprises and your first Oly..

gary 

2007-07-17 7:15 AM

Veteran
Great race Ken; you kow that you were prepared when you can walk away from a race and think it was too easy!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironhead Dallas Triathlon Rss Feed