Simpson's Fitness & Adventure Sports
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 2/6
Age Group = Women's 4
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was the race that my team was hosting so I had to be there at 6:30 in the morning. I got up at 4:00 am, got ready and we left around 5:15 am. Arrived at the race site around 6:30 am. I helped to go pick up lead/follow vehicles for the race. Unfortunately, I got a speeding ticket in the process, so that really rattled my nerves before the race. The first set of races went off at 8:00 am. I rode with a few other girls from Tyler around the race course to see it and help out a little bit. Then I hung out until it was time to warm-up.
Event warmup:

I warmed up on the trainer for about 15 minutes and then rode around for a little bit until time to start. Unfortunately, the officials were running behind and there was a car wreck on the course (car flipped upside down) that had to be removed, so all that warm-up went out the window while we stood forever. I ate granola bars and crackers and a clif bar between the time I woke up and race start, along with some gatorade, juice, and water.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 47 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

There were only 6 of us females, but there are never very many females, and for a first time USCF race, that is really good I think. We took off around 11:45 am in overcast, cool conditions. The six of us road together. One girl made the foolish mistake of pulling most of the way to the Beast (the big ugly hill, errr mountain), which I knew she would pay for. The pace was comfortable up to the Beast. We hit the feedzone about 1k before the beast and everyone was cheering for me. We made it to the bottom of the beast, and I dreaded going up. Three of us hammered up it while the other girls struggled (one girl even unclipped). Once making it to the top, a girl took off, then there was me, and the third girl dropped way behind me. I tried to catch the girl in front of me, but she was really laying down the hammer, and I was doing good to breath by that point. I kept it strong on the small loop keeping my pace above 20 mph. Once I hit FM 177, I was right behind the men's cat 4, I was even gaining on them a little bit, that was until we hit the beast again, ugh. This time, the goal was simply to make it to the top, not pull anything fancy (like I could have if I wanted to). I creeped slowly to the top and hit Hwy 69...only 20 miles to go. I tried to just keep a good strong tempo in order to keep the others away. The sun came out and it became a typical hot humid east texas day. I made it to the finish line with the easy 2nd place. Turns out I was gaining on the first place girl in the end, but I had no idea. All in all, it was a good race...I felt I rode strong. Third place showed up a few minutes after me, and the remaining 3 girls showed up a long time after that.
What would you do differently?:

I should have grabbed the first place girls wheel as soon as we climbed the beast...I shouldn't have hesitated. I think had I jumped on her wheel, she would have backed off and we could have worked together.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. I waited around for my trophy and loaded up my things. Then my friends and I went to eat at On the Border where I proceeded to put away lots of mexican food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm, my inferior riding abilities, but I am getting better if I do say so myself.

Event comments:

It was a great race! Oc fourse, my team was hosting it so what can I say. I think the officials were the main complaint about this race. They were slow on posting results, which started backing things up. Also, several of the people who did this race were first timers...the officials did not explain very many of the rules such as no drafting from another race pack, centerline rule, feedzone rules, etc. Also, some of those police officers were a little lazy on traffic control (but perhaps I'm still angry over the speeding ticket thing, lol).

Last updated: 2004-10-02 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 47 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2/6
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The course was 47 miles for us. We did 5 miles out to the main loop, then we did a small inner loop before returning to the big loop and then back home. The course is typical east texas hills, rolling with a few small ringers every now and then, with the one exception: The BEAST! The beast is about a 1k climb that gets up to 13% grades and just really sucks. Lucky us, we got to climb it twice. People from out of town had no clue what to expect. Definitely woke some people up. Coming back north on Hwy 69 and FM 344 there was some wind that wasn't to fun to fight. Also, 80% of the course was chip/seal, which made it tough.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-02 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: East Texas Hills Classic

2004-10-03 12:31 AM
in reply to: #68827

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: East Texas Hills Classic
Great job Gina - those hills, umm mountains? sound tough.  Congrats on the silver medal.
2004-10-03 1:32 AM
in reply to: #68827

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: RE: East Texas Hills Classic
congrats on a great race in spite of the hills!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » East Texas Hills Classic Rss Feed