General Discussion Race Reports! » MyHealthUnlimited Fitness Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MyHealthUnlimited Fitness Challenge Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Mt. Airy, MD
United States
MyHealthUnlimited Fitness Center
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 16s
Overall Rank = 8/82
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at 7:15 for an 8:00 start, only to find out that my wave was scheduled at 9:00 am. This gave me nearly 2 hours to kill before the race started. Got checked in, set up transition area, stretched, watched some swim waves in the pool, ran a little bit to get my heart rate up, watched some more swim waves, chatted with others who, along with me, were seeded in a late wave.
Event warmup:

Nice long, relaxing stretch routine. A couple laps running around the building parking lot - about 1/3 mile. About 200 yds easy swimming immediately before race started.
Swim
  • 05m 15s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

In September I swam a total of 2 times, both of which were only around 2000 meters. A big change from my 40K total yards in April. I lost some of the edge in the swim that I had early in the season, but I was still able to hold a 1:20 pace through the 400 yards.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Cold transition! Running from 85 degree indoor pool to 60 degree weather was chilly. Everything went fairly smoothly, I only lost a little time fiddling with my race shirt.
Bike
  • 32m 40s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Had some trouble getting going. Since this course is only 10 miles I didn't want to spend much time getting settled in to a pace, so I tried to go all out from the start. I never quite felt that I got into a comfortable cadence, in part because of the rolling of the hills and in part because I just felt tired on the bike. Only one person passed me, and I stayed within 20 yards of him for the remainder of the race. Got caught at one traffic light and had to actually come to a stop and wait for a green light! AHHHH!

I was hoping to get my average at 20 mph or above so I could come in under 1 hour for the total race time, but was unable to do so. Since this was a 'c' race, I'm not sweating it, though.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Bike shoes off/Running shoes on. Race number strapped on, and I was off.
Run
  • 22m 36s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the fastest recorded average per mile in a running race in which I participated, so I can't complain. I tried to maintain a fast cadence off the bike. It helped that the middle mile in the race was mostly downhill.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running 9 miles the day before at a tempo pace (marathon training). Lack of swim training may have cost me 5 seconds/100 yards. Equipment issues with my bike may have cost me a little time (bottom bracket problems).

Event comments:

(written pre-race on 10/2): I entered this race for one last 'fun' triathlon before the season officially ended for me and I start a more focused training plan for a November Marathon. I did this race last year, it was the first time I raced with my new bike with the new triathlon configuration (aerobars, etc). My plan this year was to simply race and enjoy it. After the Delaware Diamondman 1/2 IM race in 6 hours, this races should seem very short to me.

Last year I did this race in 1:08, 9th place overall out of about 108 participants. This year I cut 4 minutes from my time. I'll post my overall placement once it is posted on the race web site.

Results are now posted:

Time was 1:04.16 (4 minutes faster than last year)
2nd out of 12 in age group (35-39)
8th out of 82 overall

Last updated: 2004-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:15 | 400 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/82
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: 400 yard pool swim. Transition to parking lot of fitness center to bike rack transition area.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:40 | 10 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out from fitness center, along Rt 27, back along Runkles and Watersville road. Rolling country hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:36 | 03 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out of the fitness center, through the local neighborhood for about 1 mile, then out to Twin Arch road for about 1 mile, and back to complete the 3 mile course. Last mile was mostly uphill, though not steep.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2004-10-03 11:12 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: MyHealthUnlimited Fitness Challenge Triathlon

2004-10-07 12:27 AM
in reply to: #69022

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: RE: MyHealthUnlimited Fitness Challenge Triathlon
congrats on making it into the top ten, getting second in your age group AND shaving four minutes off your time!
2004-10-07 9:28 AM
in reply to: #69022

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: MyHealthUnlimited Fitness Challenge Triathlon

Fantastic!!!!!!  Great job.  Can I have some of your speed????

Gary

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MyHealthUnlimited Fitness Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed