General Discussion Race Reports! » Fresh Air Experience Road Stage Race - Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fresh Air Experience Road Stage Race - Road Race - CycleRoad Race

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waskesiu, Saskatchewan
Canada
SCA/Fresh Air Experience
27C / 81F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Women
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Left home shortly before 7 a.m. Stopped at Tim's for a tea, bagel, and yogurt then drove up to Waskesiu. Took a little bit to find the registration area. Got registered, set up bike. Took at Gu about 10:30.
Event warmup:

Went for a bit of a spin (~20 min, 7.7km) with Dana and Susan. Dana and Susan were talking strategy. I tried to soak it all in...

Weather

(Time, Temp, RH, Wind, Humidex)
11:00 26C 68% SSW 16 33
12:00 27C 54% SSW 12 32
13:00 28C 42% SSW 13 32
14:00 29C 33% WSW 16 31

Bike
  • 2h 31m 56s
  • 76 kms
  • 30.01 km/hr
Comments:

Had a good start and felt strong. As Susan and Dana were discussing, I tried to keep the pace up to tire out the other gals. Probably hung at the front a little too long too often. Unlike a tri, where I'm on my own and thus monitor my nutrition and hydration, I found riding in the pack a little more crowded, so I didn't drink enough as often as I should have, and I didn't really think about taking any nutrition until too late - legs were suddenly getting really listless. I hit good speeds on the downhills, but on the hill right after the bridge over the Waskesiu River, Susan did an attack and I just fell off the pack. Got discouraged, and then realized that I was fading with no fuel. Sucked back a Gu and drank more Gatorade... that helped, but not enough to ever catch the gals again. So into my drops and it was time trial time.

Stopped three times:
1) after first turnaround at Birch Bay to get rid of dragonfly that had been my helmet since just after the bridge over the Waskesiu River
2) at about 50km to move a pail that flew out of a passing truck into the path of the oncoming cyclists - got it out of the way and back to my side of the road just moments before the cat 5s went by!
3) to check if Wilma needed help with her flat tire - she said she was okay

The Trek is definitely not as comfy as my tri bike. Had issues with my right knee feeling achy for a bit, right after I was dropped (psychological?), and my left butt and thigh after about 45km - which has happened before.
What would you do differently?:

More drafting, smarter pacing, better nutrition.
Get Neil to check my positioning on the Trek to see what I can adjust for more comfort, maybe a shorter stem or new seat?
Post race
Warm down:

Short spin after the finish to let the legs settle down.
Stretching at the finish line waiting for the cat 2/3 guys to finish.
After picking up my water bottles and extra wheels, went to the townsite's main beach and just waded into the water to cool off. Ahh!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition, mental errors, inexperience with "pack politics".

Last updated: 2007-07-14 12:00 AM
Biking
02:31:56 | 76 kms | 30.01 km/hr
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
unofficial time HR avg 147, max 165 Speed avg 30.23, max 52.9
Wind: Some
Course: Hwy 264 from Waskesiu township to Boundary Bog turnaround, up to Birch Bay and back. Two loops. Feed zone just before finish line area on first lap (thanks to Bonnie for the feed!) Finish line at the Narrows turn off. Roads in generally good shape except the usual cracks across the pavement (still bearing the spray paint from last year's tri).
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 12:01 AM

User image

Subject: Fresh Air Experience Road Stage Race - Road Race
Still waiting for the official splits - probably not available until Monday.

Edited by amg 2007-07-22 12:12 AM

2007-07-22 1:38 AM
in reply to: #895643

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Fresh Air Experience Road Stage Race - Road Race

Well!

You did it...very different game isn't it...I tried this kind of riding once and the pack chewed me up and spat me out...You learned lots and next time you will be in a better position. Both literally and figuratively!

Well done!

2007-07-23 9:50 AM

User image

Official results now available. I'm not sure how they have me ahead of Kylie, but whatever...
http://www.saskcycling.ca/results/2007/FAE%20STAGE%20RACE%2007
2007-07-23 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Sask.
Great job!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fresh Air Experience Road Stage Race - Road Race Rss Feed