Prestige Miracles Foundation
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 38m 23s
Overall Rank = 57/107
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 12/15
Pre-race routine:

Wasn't able to do online registration so I got to the race about an hour early to make sure I had time to register there if there were lines. Instead there was almost no one there (a little sad since it's for a good cause) but it was a good thing because after registering I spent almost the entire rest of my hour waiting in line for the porta-potty. Not nearly enough there!

This race was significant to me for two reasons. First, it was my first standalone 5k since I've started training (aside from the Cherry Creek Sneak which I walked with my mom), and because the event was to benefit kids with cancer and other terminal illnesses. One of my biggest inspirations when I first started running was a family I know who lost their 7 year old son to cancer and the woman who ran the Boston marathon in his honor. Through knowing this family I read stories of many other kids with cancer in that area and their "partner" that ran the marathon for them. I'm far from a marathon, but it was still meaningful to me. :)
Event warmup:

Stretched a lot. Walked around a it and jogged a tiny bit. The finish area was lined with pictures from a contest that had been held for local 3rd graders. THe kids were asked to draw pictures of what they think a miracle is. There was everything from world peace to a pet tiger to ride on...from cures for cancer to reaching the race finish line (one of my personal faves! lol) I walked around looking at those for a while...I guess that could be called a warmup!
Run
  • 38m 23s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 41s  min/km
Comments:

It was a pretty small race, so there was no traffic jam at the start. The pack left FAST!! At least for my speeds. I was almost immediately DFL for the runners and just had the walkers behind me. Since this is the first time i've been fresh to run a 5k I had planned on changing my intervals so that I was running more than usual and going for a PR. By the time I hit mile 1 though cramps had set in (female issues...grrr) and I was feeling horrible and thinking I might have to walk the rest of the course. I slowed down to my usual intervals (1 min. running, 2 min. walking) and found myself slowly starting to feel better. Right around mile 2 I started to catch people! Yay! Apparently I wasn't the only one that couldn't keep up with the pack. I kept my steady pace and passed at least 5-10 ppl in the last mile. Just before the mile 3 marker the course went into Invesco Field (Broncos stadium) and went along the edge of the field. They had the jumbotron on and everything so I got to see myself larger than life. I walked through the stadium just taking it all in. It was awesome to see it from a player's point of view. I hit the 3rd mile marker right before the stadium exit and I cranked it up for the last bit. There were "baby broncos" cheerleaders (no idea what their real name is....little girls in broncos cheerleader outfits) lining the way to the finish cheering with pom poms...pretty cute. Even with my mad dash to the finish it wasn't enough for a PR but I did get within my goal of being between 36 and 39 min. I would've liked to be closer to the 36, but I'll take what I can get.
What would you do differently?:

Not have cramps!
Post race
Warm down:

Got water...walked around a bit to catch my breath, and got some munchies (lots of good stuff to choose from!). The real broncos cheerleaders were autographing posters for a $5 donation so I got one for my brother. He's going to think i've lost my mind but I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it. I mean what guy wouldn't like a poster of cheerleaders with autographs made out specifically to him! Right??

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps!

Event comments:

Aside from the lack of toilets this was a super well put together race! It had all the perks of a larger race but in a smaller, more initmate setting. Amazing finish area with lots of great food, live music, and tons of fun and games for the kids.

Last updated: 2007-07-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:23 | 05 kms | 07m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/107
Performance: Average
Course: Started at Invesco Field, out on the Platt River trail, back on the other side of the river, and through the stadium to the finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Miles for Miracles

2007-07-22 12:19 PM
in reply to: #895795

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Miles for Miracles
Whoo whoo! Nice race & a good cause. Awesome gift for your brother - I'm sure my brothers would think the same thing...well, it's cool but my sister's a lunatic. Sounds like a fun race.

Kristen
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miles for Miracles Rss Feed