Tri-Mania
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 21s
Overall Rank = 24/169
Age Group = W20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Ugh! So sleepy...after my race yesterday and everything I went to bed around 10:30 and had to get up at 2:00 am so that I could leave at 3:00 am to make it to McKinney. I felt so tired and my legs felt dead. I ate my usual crackers, granola bars, oj, and gatorade on my way to the race. Once there I picked up my packet, got body marked, picked up chip and waited.
Event warmup:

Our wave was supposed to go off at 7:33 am. So I jogged for about 10 minutes and ran to the bathroom one last time before the 7:15 pre-race meeting. We ended up starting late, and it was very cool outside (about 64 degrees) so any warm-up went right out the window.
Swim
  • 18m 58s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

Standing around waiting for the start...some people said it was cold, while others said it was warm, so I just hoped for the best. Since the water was 74 degrees, wetsuits were allowed, but of course, I don't have one. We jumped off the dock and my body immediately tensed up, but then relaxed. The water actually felt good during the swim. When the horn went off, I immediately felt like the wave left me, but I just stayed calm and did my thing. Before I knew it I was passing lots of green caps (the men 39 and under that started 3 minutes before us), so that made me feel good. I felt comfortable on this swim and actually enjoyed it. Looking at the results, I was actually in the top half of my division to come out of the water, which I think is just awesome! Perhpas the course was a little long because the times seem pretty slow, even for me.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, it's just the same old thing: work on technique, get in the pool more than twice before the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Once again, a fault-free transition. I had the fastest T1 time in my group. One advantage was that I didn't have to take a wetsuit off, but I would say that 95% of the girls didn't have a wetsuit either.

Nada
Bike
  • 43m 2s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming out from the swim I was freezing! But a little Texas son and the spinning of the legs goes a long way. I quickly warmed up, but my legs never really wanted to go. My legs were screaming at me because of the day before. Every hill felt so slow, but somehow I kept passing people. The downhills really amazed me because I would pass even more people. To me the downhills are the freebies, and I'm going to take every advantage I can get.

Not race the day before (see East Texas Hills Classic race report), especially a race that includes climbing the beast twice.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

2nd out of my group on T2, no problems

nothing
Run
  • 22m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Running out of transition my feet were numb. I guess I didn't warm up quite as much as I thought. The hills felt horrible, I was so tight. I was passed by a couple guys, but I also passed a couple guys. The miles went by fast. The weather was absolutely perfect, calm, sunny, and probably around 75 degrees by the time I hit the run.

How many times do I have to tell myself this: GET OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE...it's like I'm scared of a little pain.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. I sat around a little bit, but I quickly became chilled in my wet clothes so I decided to change and wait for the awards. I ate a couple of bananas and a bagel bite. Waited for a couple of guys on the team to finish the olympic distance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The race the day before. Generally, I feel okay racing two days in a row, but I think I really pushed myself on the hills the day before and my legs were not happy about that. Also, I need more sleep...I was yawning before the swim start. Perhaps I need to stop pulling these wonder woman acts and trying to do every race, and hanging out with everyone.

Event comments:

This was a good race. I was a little nervous when I was picking up my packet and I overheard two volunteers talking: "So what is a triathlon?" "It's a race where they run, and bike, and swim." "What's the order?" I think the swim is first, and then maybe the run." Then, when I was picking up my packet a guy said, "Look, she's got one of those yellow bracelet things too." It was humorous, but there were so many volunteers and they were given such a specific task that things ran smoothly. They did their homework. It was nice recieving a niftly little tote bag, t-shirt, and finishers medal, which I guess makes up for the poor after food choices. I would definitely do this race again (although I'll do the olympic next time).

Last updated: 2004-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:58 | 750 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 0/169
Performance: Average
Suit: team uniform
Course: The course was a clock-wise loop swim in a residential lake. Nice smooth water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:02 | 14 miles | 19.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: A couple of out and backs through the McKinney area with good rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:42 | 03.1 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Performance: Good
Course: A 3.1 mile loop around the McKinney area. Rolling hills. The course would go through these tunnels that went under the streets. Climbing back out of those was rough.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-04 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon

2004-10-04 1:39 PM
in reply to: #69102

Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon
Wonder Woman,

Nice job especially considering what you did on Saturday.

1st in your age group!!! Awesome!

-Scott
2004-10-07 12:19 AM
in reply to: #69102

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon
what i wouldn't give to have a race report like this!! you had a great race and congrats on being first in your age group!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed