New Orleans Track Club
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 33m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was signed up for a short sprint about 3 hours from home, but couldn't make it do to my son's baseball tournament all weekend, so I decided to do this race as a last minute substitution.
Event warmup:

Bug spray, duct tape, and 800mg of Motrin. I did a short jog to get the HR up and stretched a little bit.
Run
  • 33m 58s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Run started on the levee, and I was able to hold a good pace. They didn't have any mile markers, but I'm guessing around a 8:15-8:30 pace for the first 1.25 miles. Then we made a hard left into the swamps. First obstacle, and the biggest of "the Gauntlet" is the mud holes as soon as you leave the levee. It was a stretch abotu 25-30 yards long of knee deep mud. People falling over, throwing mud around, shoes coming off (hence the duct tape), and the worst stench ever. But it was a blast!

After getting through the mud pits, it was basically all trail. Hopping over fallen trees, running under fallen trees, dodging tree stumps. And the trail is only wide enough for one person. If you wanted to pass someone, you were taking some branches to the face. I saw several people limping their way through the course, and I can see why. If you weren't really careful, it would have been simple to step on a small root or mud hole and roll your ankle.

The trail winded back and forth, with the longest straight away being maybe 50m. Several people commented that the course seemd a bit longer than 3 miles, but it doesn't matter. This race wasn't about time anyways.
What would you do differently?:

More duct tape.
Post race
Warm down:

Fire department had their hoses out in make shift showers, which felt great. And NOTC always does a great job with post-race setup. They had hot dogs, red beans and rice, icees, beer, soda, etc. Lots of fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mud.

Event comments:

Every year, they rate this course on difficulty based on the ammount of rain prior to the day of the race. This year was a 7. I would definitely recommend this race to anyone that's looking for a very well run event with a great after-party and an exciting (and dirty) course.

Last updated: 2007-07-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:58 | 03 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: First 1.25 miles out on the spillway levee, then down into "The Gauntlet", which consisted of knee deep mud, water, downed trees, tree stumps, and everything else you'd expect in a Louisiana swamp.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: Great Spillway Classic Trail Run

2007-07-23 7:15 AM
in reply to: #896439

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Great Spillway Classic Trail Run

Nice race. It sounded like a lot of fun !

I'd be afraid to run through the mud down there. You guys have snakes and crocs and stuff .

Good job! Glad you had fun !

2007-07-28 10:46 AM

User image

Queen BTich
Great job! This race is on my all time "races to do" list but I can never make it. My mom has done it for a couple of years now.
2007-07-28 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Jeremy,

This one brings back memories! Did it about 4 years ago, what a mess. Glad to see you racing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Spillway Classic Trail Run Rss Feed