General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 6s
Overall Rank = 403/759
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 19/28
Pre-race routine:

Ate extra healthy, carbo loaded and hydrated for several days leading up to tri. Morning of, got up at 4:30 after a sleep that was fitfull but still better than I expected. Woke up feeling like a small child on Christmas moring. Got to the park with plenty of time, got marked, set up transition, ate a banana, and continued to hydrate. About 45 minutes before race time I saw my family and chatted for about 15 minutes.
Event warmup:

Got to the swim start w/ enough time for a 10 minute warm-up. I wasn't sure if it would be enough but I felt so good that I knew it was all I needed. Got out of the water, talked to some fellow competitors and downed a hammer gel.
Swim
  • 09m 45s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt good out there. Immediately fell into a groove. a couple times I fell out of it a bit and realized that it was b/c I was taking a breath on every other stroke. I would tell myself that I wasn't out of air and would fall back into my groove breathing every 4th stroke. I started a bit wide to avoid the mass of people and soon realized that I was towards the front of the group, so I started easing my way towards the inside so that I could cut the corner as closely as possible. Towards the end my arms felt tired and I didn't know why. My lungs and heartrate seemed fine so I kept pulling. I didn't realize until I got out that my arms hurt b/c I was swimming faster than I usually do...I felt good in the water.

I did take two kicks to the gut while passing someone. She suddenly switched from freestyle to breaststoke and I got two quick kicks to the gut. Not sure if she switched b/c she was tired or b/c she thought I was too close to her. Either way I started the swim expecting worse so I took it in stride and just pulled ahead of her quicker than I had planned.
What would you do differently?:

I'll keep practicing and getting better/faster but as for this race, I wouldn't change anything.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I'm no speed demon in transition so I was pleased with how it was all going until it was time to get on the bike. I didn't travel with my bike so I had a rental. As such, very little practice hopping on this new bike and getting my feet into the shoes while riding. It did not go as smoothly as I would have liked but it was still quicker than putting my bike shoes on in transition.

Unless I want to travel with my bike I can't really help that I was on an unfamiliar bike.

As a tri newbie I'm not unhappy with my T1 time but at some point I'm going to have to practice my transitions and commit to getting those times down.
Bike
  • 46m 6s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 17.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Lots and lots of fun. I rented a bike that was much better than my bike...easy to do since at home I still ride a mtn. bike. The bike portioned seemed almost effortless even though I was going much faster than my typical pace. I didn't like not knowing how far I had ridden. Had the course been marked for mileage or if I had an odometer I could have judged better and pushed a bit harder.

Now that I've seen first hand how much of an improvement a bike makes I'm jonesing even more for a bike. I can't wait until I acutally get one.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

I knew I was getting close but the dismount line came up on me a bit quicker than I though, giving me less time than I would have liked to get my feet out of and on top of my shoes riding towards the dismount line. I got my second foot out of my shoe just in time to dismount. So, while hurried, it all worked out ok.

Take a look at the mount/dismount line before the race and visualize where I need to start working on getting my feet out of the shoes.
Run
  • 30m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

First 1/2 mile felt very good and I ran a bit faster than I had planned to take advantage of my legs feeling good b/c I know from brick experience that the bike affects my legs on the 2nd 1/2 mile. Just as expected the legs got heavy, I slowed a bit but was still close to my 10 min/miles (slow but good for me). Once the legs felt a bit better I got back to 10 min/miles.

I would hydrate a bit less. I took some giant swigs in T2 and felt full the first half of the run, in fact, I skipped the water stops until the second half of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

I really didn't warm down, I was very excited to have family and friends at the race so I immediately met up with them. I walked around with them while talking but never stretched nor did I really make an effort to eat or hydrate for quite some time. Not the best plan of attack but it was a special occasion.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

On a course that was 2 miles longer, I beat my first tri time by 9 minutes. I'm by no means fast but this was very good for me. Not sure I could do much better at this point.

Last updated: 2007-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:45 | 500 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 144/759
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: V shaped. Swim out to the buoy, 45 degree left turn and straight to the finish line
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:46:06 | 13.5 miles | 17.57 mile/hr
Overall: 0/759
Wind: None
Course: Flat well maintained roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:55 | 03.11 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 0/759
Course: Almost entirely flat with a couple very slight inclines. About 1/2 the run was in the shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-24 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-07-24 1:09 PM
in reply to: #898985

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

congratulations on a great race!

you had a really fast swim and turned in an impressive bike split for riding an "unfamiliar" bike...

i did the sprint too - wasn't it a fabulous day?

2007-07-24 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Great job, buddy, you really took it home on Sunday. Great job with the transitions - I had no clue that you blew through them that fast. That's phenominal.
2007-07-24 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Awesome. Congratulations on having such a great race. It is wonderful to see it all come together for you on race day. The sprint was too easy, time to move to the Oly! Great pacing. Well done.
2007-07-24 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Man, I'm impressed!  Your race report reads like you're an old pro.  Way to go on every portion.  Its hard to find room for improvement.  I hope you'll be able to swing for a new bike soon.  It is soooo sweet to ride a nice bike.  Let us know how it progresses.....  Congrats!
2007-07-25 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

nice race!  looks like you really enjoyed yourself.

hey, you're not the guy that traveled up from Atlanta are you?  If so, we racked our bikes together and talked before the race.  I had the black mountain bike. 

i agree with you, not knowing how far you have gone on the bike is tough.  I found myself always looking at the computer and I imagine racing without it would be tough.

great job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed