United States
Majrae
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 14s
Overall Rank = 5/96
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Clif bar @ 4:00 pm. Nap early in the day as I got killed at work the night before.
Event warmup:

Not much. Got in the water, swam a little bit.
Swim
  • 15m 21s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Here we go, my first OWS race. Not nearly as nervous as I thought I should have been. Windy and some chop but not as bad as when I swam at Cherry Creek Reservoir so I think I'll be ok. Just swam steady and tried to get my mouth above water for breathing. Still managed to swallow water and some air. We had a two minute headstart on the women's wave so I knew I'd be caught eventually. Ended up being at about 450 meters or so. Stomach felt bloated from the air and water, which made it tougher to breathe. But I made it. This was my longest swim without stopping (like at the end of the pool).

Anyway, swam till my hands touched sand. Walked out, saw my wife and kids. Belched loudly at them. "Drink enough lake?" she says. Then trotted towards T1.
What would you do differently?:

About what I expected. Same pace I do in the pool. Need to take lessons to get faster. But overall, very happy here. 13th overall swim!
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I wasn't really hurrying here. I didn't really view this event as a race as more of a learning experience for me. That's not to say I didn't go hard but I defenitely dawdled a bit in T1. Wetsuit off, no problems, love the ankle zippers! Ran a few steps and turned back for my hat and sunglasses.

Again, some trouble with my shirt. Should have just not worn one but I forgot my number belt.
Run
  • 23m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Figured this would be tough with the way my stomach felt after the swim. Sure enough, I had a pretty good LUQ cramp from the get go. Tried to burp and breathe deep and this seemed to help. Pretty much went away by 1.5 miles. Had a little water at the turnaround. Temperature was still 91 degrees at this time and it felt like it. Wind in the face going out, which was great coming back but also much hotter then too. Passed a guy and a gal and was never passed.

Definitely had better 5ks but all in all, I'm happy.

Have to figure out the abd cramping, which all seems to stem from the swim...
Post race
Warm down:

Little stretching. Should have jogged some but had to grab the family and get some dinner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

Great race, great training! Definitely the minority here with lots and lots of women triathletes. Hard core!

Last updated: 2007-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:21 | 750 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 13/96
Performance: Good
7:15 @ turnaround
Suit: ProMotion full
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time:  01:35
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:23:19 | 03.11 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 3/96
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling out and back on sidewalk. Windy out, hot back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-25 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: Dip and Dash #6

2007-07-25 2:56 PM
in reply to: #901138

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Dip and Dash #6
Great job on the race! Very nice split times. I laughed at the belch and lake drinking :-)

Way to go!

Larry
2007-07-25 4:25 PM
in reply to: #901138

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: RE: Dip and Dash #6
Congrats on your first OWS swim race!  Especially doing it w/out any panic or any major issues.  Definitely can't say the same for my first!   I missed the race due to traffic but I watched most of the swim, so I'm sure I saw you there somewhere.  Glad to hear it was well run.....i'm still going to try to do one at some point.  Awesome run too!  I know you said you've had better but I'm still impressed.....I don't think I'll ever be able to go that fast!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dip and Dash #6 Rss Feed