Ironman North America
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 57m 42s
Overall Rank = 1750/
Age Group = w35-39
Age Group Rank = 90/119
Pre-race routine:

I went to bed at 8:30 and fell asleep around 9. Woke up at 3:15. Prep up bottles of Perp. Had breakfast of one egg, plain yogurt and banana. went to race site around 4:45. Not a lot of people yet. Got bodymarked right away, brought nutrition to transition bags, saw a lot of people with pumps. (note to self to bring one next time..this was a bad omen I think..later on that.) got to Mirror lake at 6:20. Found my team..team hug and in the water. Not a lot of people yet.
Event warmup:

Swam a bit..but mostly waited. I wanted to start right closer to shore and make it to buoys at mid point. Listen to anthem, they played Black Sabbatt" IRONMAN" song. I was pumped. No countdown.. all of sudden I heard the cannon.
Swim
  • 15m 29s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

wow..it was wild. At first I didn't think it was too bad. Lots of bumping but not so bad. I did find some open water once in a while, did some drafting. There was some people that just plain took this as a wrestling match. I got kicked, punch on legs, head and arms a lot. Some that would leave bruises later on. I was pround that I never panicked. Sighting was hard with all the people and the sun. I rounded the buoy which I was closer too than expected. I didn't see my split, went for round 2. Not a lot better as far as bumping goes. I found my rythim and just kept going. I tried to stay in the moment and not think about the day. I heard the annoncer and got out and was very happy to see 1:15. It was cool but then from behind this really tall man gave me a huge blow to my head with his elbow. I saw stars and I tear up ..found some strippers..got myself back together and ran an awesome run to transition
What would you do differently?:

stay a bit closer to buoy..deal with bumping again in a calming way. hurry when getting out of water. focus a bit more
Transition 1
  • 12m 10s
Comments:

t2 was ok. Got dressed pretty fast. I had to go to bathroom. Again got shoved while trying to find open port a potty. What's with these people??

have a plan for t2 of what to put on first. I was kind of slow at that.
Bike
  • 35m 16s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.76 mile/hr
Comments:

There is so many ways I could improve this bike segment. The omen of the morning ( no pump) came to bite me at mile 20. After Jay on the uphill i felt I needed air so I saw the repair van parked on the right helping somebody so I stopped and asked if he could put air in my tire. No problem he said. I got back on , clicked on left side, looked back at traffic and felt my balance go..I fell and got my handlebars right in my chest. The pain was sharp. got back on..embarrased and climb the hill. the pain was evident. On the bike I don't think it affected me too much but It came to bite me again later. The rest of the bike went well. My nutrition was perfect..Perp every 15 with water, a gel every 2 and 4 electrolytes/hr. I came to town and the last hill was awesome with all the people. I felt like a tour de FRance rider. I didn't record my split but it was around 3:30. My second loop went slower and I stop too many times. 2 times for bathroom, once for vaseline on feet( blisters) etc. Come to found out later I had a slow leeak in tire.so disapointed a bit with time but room to improve

NOT FALL!!. No stopping for potty. Pee on bike. Change shoes. bring blister ointment in case . Bring pump before race.
Transition 2
  • 09m 33s
Comments:

was pretty good. got into running stuff, clean face. got some massage before going out. felt hot.

Have something really cold to wipe face with, again have plan.
Run
  • 5h 45m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

wow..so many ways to improve this one too. My injury to my chest was detrimental to the run. I felt pain every time I would try to run. I ran/walk the first 5 mile. I got to the out and back..felt that the pain was too much for running and walked. On the way back i tried to run again. Not much success. My plan to run 10 walk 1 was shot. I made it back to town and with people I felt I needed to run more. On to the second loop I told myself that I would be disapointed to be above 15 so I force myself to run more. Not too bad.. My legs we're dead too. Every body was walking. I really had to push myself. IT's true that the marathon tested your character. It found my many weaknesses. I did pull through and started running. At the out and back I saw the finish line time and it was 14:15.I thought if I ran the rest of the race I could finish under 15. I was running more now and felt better. I was still kicking myself that I should have run more but I tried to stay positive. On to the oval, the crowd, the lights. It was amazing!!. I was an IRONMAN finally.

to work on my mental strenght, learn to run on tired legs. Keep up with nutrition plan. Find something to perk me up mentally and phisically when needed
Post race
Warm down:

got meddle and shirt, picture. got some food. I got checked by medical. I will get checked by my docter tomorrow. I was very tired and lethargic. I got my bike and transition bags.Got home, shower made sandwich, chips and a beer.( should have had a recovery drink..)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my chest injury.

Event comments:

great race. I am signed up for IMLP 08 so now I can improve on this by a lot. I had great fun and can't wait to do it again!

Last updated: 2007-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:29 | 4224 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 41/119
Overall: 1107/
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: out and back X2
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 12:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:16 | 112 miles | 14.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 89/119
Overall: 1866/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:33
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:45:15 | 26.2 miles | 13m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/119
Overall: 1687/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-25 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2007-07-25 10:47 PM
in reply to: #901744

User image

Regular
MD
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Nice race report.. and way to push through even with the fall so early in the bike leg, and the slow leak in the tire. Smart to have the tech guys help you with that. Hope you're OK.

Great finish, and good luck in '08- congratulations, Ironman!
2007-07-25 11:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks! I appreciate it. Even though I still feel sore from it I can't wait to start training again. How crazy is that !?
2007-07-26 7:01 AM

Champion

Way to go Ironman!  Despite the pain and the fact that you never know what the day will throw at you, it's still possible to battle through it all.  Sorry I didn't get to meet you but I'm sure we struggled by each other on the run.  Now, pump up your tires for 2008! 

2007-07-26 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Ouch on the elbows and bike assaults.  Congrats on pushing through and showing LP who's boss.
2007-07-26 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Congratulations, Ironman!  Way to push through after the fall.  That must have made running difficult.  Sorry I didn't get to meet you but we must have come out of the water about the same time.  Although, I'm short so it wasn't me who hit you in the head.   Good luck next year.

Ernie

2007-07-26 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks Ernie. In fact I do know who hit me on the head. It's a small world and driving home and looking at all the race splits from people I knew from Rochester I found my culprit. A very tall fellow who I know and my coach knows well that came in 7 sec behind me. He is very tall and large. It will come back to him someday. It's everywhere you're going to be ( Karma)

Nathalie
2007-07-26 12:58 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hey, great job pushing through the hit on the head and the fall on the bike. Sounds like you had a rough day out there!

But you finished and you are an IRONMAN! Congratulations!
2007-07-26 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Gret job! You are tough to push on despite such pain. Look forward to reading you race report in '08.
2007-07-26 2:46 PM

Online or Offline

Congrats Nathalie! Way to tough it out and remain positive!

I hope your chest feels better soon and the bruises go away quickly. I don't know if you believed that your tires were pumped up adequately enough in the morning before the swim that you didn't bother to check, but there are techs in the Transition race morning that you can roll your bike over to to get them to pump up your tires.

I am so jealous that you signed up for 2008 I too have unfinished business out there, but it will have to wait! Best of luck in 2008, but for now revel in your great accomplishment!

2007-07-26 8:39 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congratulations Ironman~

You showed your true grit of sticking with it, adjusting as necessary due to your fall and injury....way to hang tough....love how you pushed hard at the end of the run and went sub 15!

Next year, I'll see you out there...should be an amazing journey! 

2007-07-28 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Awesome job on a sub 15 hour IM with all those problems!! You really showed some serious mental toughness by keeping going!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed