Fleet Feet Sports
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 46s
Overall Rank = 237/1363
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at about 4:20, dressed and out the door by 4:50 or so. Last night's dinner was Mexican and I woke up with a rock in my stomach. So the morning routine was just a BIG coffee for the drive, some gatorade and a gel about 20 minutes pre-race.
Event warmup:

Packet and chip pickup. Stand in line at portapotty. Walk back to car to put away goodie bag. Stand in line AGAIN. Jog a little.
Run
  • 53m 46s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 2 miles were VERY crowded, and it didn't help that I'd started near the back. I did a lot of weaving. A lot of the women weren't racing hard - many of them wore packs on their backs and were walking immediately-it made for a lot of jockeying for position. Mile 3 was a little better, and at that point the 5K split off from the 10K and it was much more comfortable. I felt GREAT until about mile 3, when I started wheezing a little. Used my inhaler and it backed off, only to come back on mile 4. MOre inhaler....I could hear myself wheezing but I didn't feel air starved yet. I'd started out a little faster than I'd planned so I decided I would back off my pace for mile 5 then pick back up because I wanted a really strong finish. But that really wasn't to be, because during mile 5 my chest started to hurt BAD. I was feeling fatigued too, maybe the lack of breakfast? Anyway I pushed my hardest but the 9 min mile was the best I had for the last mile. I do feel like I lost my focus just a little during that mile, I don't know maybe I could have squeezed out a little more. It didn't feel like it at the moment. I didn't mind the crushed gravel at all but the coarse gravel was a little hard to run on and slowed me down a little too. Then I psyched myself out not ONCE but TWICE...first I thought the big red marker for the harbor entry was a finish, and had my hopes dashed when I realized how much farther I had to go. Then I spotted a clock - thought it was the finish so I gave it all I had - only to find out that it was the 3 mile marker for the 5K, and I had another .1 to go! Kept up the pace the best I could and finished gasping for air. I managed to leave it all on the course.

There were plenty of aid stations with water and gatorade but I didn't stop at any. I don't bring drinks for this distance in training so I didn't see the point in slowing down to drink - the aid stations were pretty crowded, most takers were stopping to walk.

I would have LOVED a sub 8:30 run but I'm very pleased with this. I don't have a 10k listed on this blog because I haven't done one for years...although a couple of years ago I had a faster 10k in training, it wasn't a race so I guess this could be considered a PR.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front.
Post race
Warm down:

Laura (StartingtoTri) and Jessica (jniekrasz) finished ahead of me and were waiting after I crossed the finish line :) We hung out and watched Laura (Whizzzzz) come across. Wandered around the "festival" a bit (just a few booths) and contemplated a free massage, but the line was LONG. So, off to breakfast with Whizzzz' sis and brother-in-law, and the rest of the BT racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Asthma and fatigue...not sure I could have done much about either one. The fatigue could have been lack of food but I think it was more having done Spirit a week ago, then not really taking much time to recover before I got back into training. I probably should have skipped yesterday's bike ride.

Event comments:

It's hard to rate this race when I don't do many run races. But this was one of the better ones, I would definietly do it again next year if I have the time and opportunity.

Last updated: 2007-07-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:46 | 06.2 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1363
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 8:40 Mile 2: 8:37 Mile 3: 8:28 Mile 4: 8:30 Mile 5: 8:43 Mile 6: 9:00 last .2: 1:43
Course: Around Montrose Harbor. Mostly flat, a couple of slight uphills toward the end, I think both were in mile 5. Most of the course was paved, but the last mile was crushed gravel, then coarse gravel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-29 7:29 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: Fleet Feet Sports Women's 10k

2007-07-29 10:14 PM
in reply to: #905946

Champion
Subject: RE: Fleet Feet Sports Women's 10k

Nice race Cindy!  See, if you had blueberry pancakes for breakfast, you might have knocked off another couple minutes!    Still, overall a great effort for you. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fleet Feet Sports Women's 10k Rss Feed