Cornhusker State Games
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 55m 55s
Overall Rank = 242/265
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am - feeling great! I know 4 am and feeling great, strange, but I have really been looking forward to this race. I had laid out all of my stuff the previous night, so getting ready was quite easy. I left the house at 4:40 - 10 min behind schedule. It was a little misty when I left - I'm thinking oh well, that's no big deal. HA - It just kept coming down harder and harder - 1/2 way there, it stopped, I'm thinking yeah! Well, long story short it pretty much rained the entire pre-race routine. This made it very difficult to get stuff set up in an efficient manner. It was humourous to watch everyone wandering around in garbage bags to keep from getting wet. Fortunately a couple of people gave me garbage bags and I used them to cover my shoes and stuff so I was set up. Many people started the race and still had their stuff in their bags - it was kind of a mess. Not the typical start because I and everyone else was trying to figure out how to keep their stuff as dry as possible
Event warmup:

I didn't really do a warmup before the event - I was feeling pretty good and due to the conditions i wasn't sure what would be good to do - it seemed like it really took longer to get set up due to the uncertainty about the weather
Swim
  • 20m 10s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

We were already soaking wet by the time that we got to the lake. I was in the last wave, which is always fun, or not, depending on your point of view. Sometimes I think I'd like to be in the first wave to see what impact it would have on my time to not have to worry about passing as much. Anyway, I digress. I felt really strong about the swim, so much different than last year since I knew what to expect. I felt strong and not intimidated by the #'s in the water. It was actually kind of fun to swim in the rain. Only problem I had was that I was sighting the wrong bouy for part of the way which took me a little off course, but not too bad. After the race, I kind of had to laugh, cuz here I was thinking wow, I've really pulled ahead, there is no one around me - LOL turns out there was a good reason why. I cut 3 min off of my swim from the prior year, so I can't complain. :-)
What would you do differently?:

practice sighting the right bouy prior to the swim in warm up

New Goggles!
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

So, not ready for the running and jumping onto the bike with the shoes already clipped in. I was actually pleased because my transition wasn't too far off of last year and I had the rain and garbage bag to contend with.

hmmmm, hope it isn't raining so I have a more apples to apples comparison
Bike
  • 50m 27s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very nervouse about the bike since it was so wet. I have never ridden in these types of conditions and knowing that the course was uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill - Overall, I felt pretty strong on the bike - maintained a good pace, took it easy - better to finish than to crash was my general approach. Given all of that, I was pleased to come out about dead even with my performance of last year.

Hill work! the trails around here are not near enough -
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

socks were sopping wet! keep them on, take them off? I kept them on

my foot was taped and the water from the swim and bike was starting to make it uncomfortable. didn't take the time to pull the tape off

hard to say - the wetness was still an issue.
Run
  • 41m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

well, i can't say this was a good segment of the race. My foot was feeling very tender, and it was painfully obvious that I hadn't run for 2 months (I did the Hy Vee tri, but had to walk most of it)I've been dealing plantar fasciitis. So, about all I can say is that I gutted it out and completed it - I think the most difficult part of it is that before I had the injury, I had really made strides in improving the run - I guess there is always next year.

be injury free
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

weather conditions and injury

Event comments:

Good race. I think it's well run and a great race for first timers!

On a personal note; despite the weather and the injuries, I improved my time by around 2 min for the event from last year!

Last updated: 2007-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:10 | 1094 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 131/265
Performance: Good
Suit: mulit - sport
Course: Course was out and and around 3 bouys - slightly longer swim than most sprints - for those of us who love the swim - that's a good thing
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:27 | 12.43 miles | 14.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 219/265
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: cycling leg is approximately 20 kilometer bike around Holmes Lake and Holmes Golf Course- 70th Street to Pioneer Blvd, to 56th Street to Normal Blvd (3 laps),
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:47 | 03.11 miles | 13m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 262/265
Performance: Bad
Course: 5 kilometer out and back run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-30 8:29 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: Cornhusker State Games Triathlon

2007-07-30 8:47 PM
in reply to: #907525

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Cornhusker State Games Triathlon
Nice job, desite the conditions. AND you beat last year's time. That is so awesome. Next year you will probably blow it away!!! Way to go!
2007-07-30 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Great job! Excellent swim! Injuries can be so frustrating, but you are doing great.

Pattie
2007-07-30 9:17 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
You did very well! Sucks that you guys had to race through rain, at the Mayor's tri our issue was the blasted heat! Keep off those feet and get healed up so you can come out and blow it up next year.
2007-07-31 5:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Nice job! Awesome swim split! Congrats on pushing through despite the rough conditions and injury!
2007-08-01 10:44 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Man tough conditions..you rocked the swim!

You worked hard and finished...now get the PF to go away!

Congrats! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cornhusker State Games Triathlon Rss Feed