Overall Rank = 176/396
Age Group = Master A
Age Group Rank = 55/101
Bike
  • 5h 06m 35s
  • 92 kms
  • 18.00 km/hr
Comments:

In the first 20K on pavement, I rode in several packs. Letting them go on the few climbs to save my legs. Was still in a good position by the time we hit the dirt.

Once on the rough stuff, I fell into my own pace and started climbing pretty well. My strategy was to save my legs for the last 40K and make up ground on the downhills.

By the time we reached the first downhill, I was in a good position and was ready to let it rip. At the beginning of the downhill, my front tire wobbled a bit, so I backed off a little. Then in a series of turns, I was getting ready to pass a rider that seemed a little nervous on the steep stuff. I generally don't say anything if I can make a clean pass, specially to avoid startling the other rider. But this guy was coming into my line quickly, so I shouted "LEFT!". But instead of holding his line, he actually moved to the left, right in front of me. I let go completely of my brakes to pass him as fast as I could but never regained control and was about to go off course in the turn. I looked at my possibilities: I could brake hard and most likely crash because the surface was really gravelly or I could ride off the side and have a "controlled" fall. I chose the latter, but as soon as I went off course, my front wheel entered a deep rut or hole and I went flying. The first contact with the ground was my helmet; as soon as it hit, I felt my neck make a cracking noise, then I fell on my side and rolled several meters away from the bike.

I got up immediately but couldn't really breathe. I checked my neck and it felt battered but OK. My collarbone was fine and both my shoulders were in place. I started walking uphill to retrieve my bike and still couldn't breathe properly.

I got back on the bike to see how I felt, but was a little bit in shock. So I walked up the next climb. It felt like there was some pressure on my left lung because I couldn't hyperventilate or fill my lungs with air completely. My neck kept making this cracking sound as if something were out of place.

It was only about 1:30 into the race and I still had about 50km to go.

In the next downhill, I hesitated a bit, but then started riding normally again, telling myself that the accident was just tough luck and had nothing to do with my bike-handling skills.

We reached an interesting pass over a bamboo bridge. It seemed pretty dangerous if you ask me. But made the ride more varied.

Then a steep climb, which I attempted to ride up, but had trouble breathing again. So I walked. At this point, I'm thinking I should withdraw from the race, but then a series of short hills and flat areas came and I started feeling better. There were lots of rain ruts from last night and I couldn't really jump over them since my left arm felt really weak after the crash, so I rode directly into them, keeping my weight off the front wheel. Nothing beats full suspension MTB bikes!

I decided that there was no way I would be able to make up time because I was in serious pain, so I just rode till the next control point and see how I felt and whether I would continue or not.

I started to hit the downhills hard again. I don't know why. Maybe I was pissed that I had had such a stupid fall or angry at the fact that I may have injured myself. Unfortunately, I couldn't really climb hard because of the breathing issues.

Toward the end, I felt really strong (maybe because I was riding much more slowly after the crash) and passed a lot of people. I was glad to get it over with. The guys I usually finish with, completed the course about 10-15 minutes before me, so inspite of it all, I think I did OK.
What would you do differently?:

Stay on the bike. Choosing to crash should never be an option.

I thought that I would be able to control the bike as I veered off course but hadn't seen the big hole that sent me flying.
Post race
Warm down:

At the paramedic's. Apparently, I have some sort of muscle contraction or even whiplash. Should get better with time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Falling and not being able to carry out my race plan for the remainder of the race.

Event comments:

A great race in the Venezuelan jungle. Organization is not the best, but that's understandable. The course is absolutely beautiful, with lots of challenging little climbs.

Last updated: 2007-07-16 12:00 AM
Biking
05:06:35 | 92 kms | 18.00 km/hr
Age Group: 55/101
Overall: 176/396
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-31 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Reto a la Frontera 92k MTB

2007-07-31 9:57 AM
in reply to: #907861

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: RE: Reto a la Frontera 92k MTB

Felicidades!  Way to tough it out after going down.  That took some guts!

I gather the race goes to a border, but a border with what?

2007-07-31 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
tough! that is bad about the fall, - gutsy to continue!
2007-07-31 3:06 PM

User image

You are a true warrior! Only the tough keep going after a fall like that. Good thing you didnt seriously hurt yourself!
2007-07-31 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Kudos to making it to the finish.
Here's to a speedy recovery.
2007-08-01 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Avvvv, that has got to hurt !!!!!

And you still managed to finish MOP  and with a nice Avg, I am sure that had you not gone down you would have been right up front

Hope you will get better soon.

2007-08-02 8:39 AM
in reply to: #907996

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
famelec - 2007-07-31 10:57 AM

I gather the race goes to a border, but a border with what?

From the Venezuelan to the Brazilian border.

2007-08-07 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Here are two links to videos of the race:

This one includes the start, riding mainly in Mayde's pack (white long-sleeve jersey/green camelback) and then catching up to the remains of my pack around (approx. at 7 min). I'm wearing a red/black jersey with a blue camelback. This is the first 22Km on pavement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMNuoEa60AQ&mode=related&search=

The second vid is on the dirt, approximately from km's 22 to 40. I crashed somewhere around km38.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgXHhUKDlo0&mode=related&search=

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reto a la Frontera 92k MTB Rss Feed