West End Management
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 26m 1s
Overall Rank = 2085/4286
Age Group = m 35-39
Age Group Rank = 244/481
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4am got my gear together went outside the hotel grabbed a taxi and headed to the start line.
Event warmup:

I got to the start line did some light stretching and took about a 1 mile warm up jog pounded some gatorade.....took a gel and some salt tablets.....oh and a few advil since I knew there was going to be pain involved in my day.
Run
  • 4h 26m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I set out a goal to go 4:20:00 to 4:30:00 and I nailed it. My plan was to run with the 4hr pace group the first 13 miles then slow it down a little.The best part of the race came after climbing this big steep hill while approaching the Golden Gate Bridge...... What an amazing bridge I was in awe.....being that it was my first time in San Francisco I slowed down a bit to enjoy the view I snapped a few pictures then needed to pick up the pace and find my 4hr pace group. Just after crossing the bridge I found my group and settled back in. My plan worked fairly well at my 13 I was with the pack and felt at that time like wow I might be able to hang with this group the entire race......LOL!!!! I started falling a little of pace around mile 16 but I then realize it was ok since I was still very much on pace to go sub 4:20:00. I got to mile 17 and I was hurting a little bit but then I saw this awesome lady standing with a sign that said BEER...... I stopped took a couple of pictures and drank 3 dixie cups of beer and let me tell you it was good. Thanx Beer Lady!!!! I was cruising along at a pretty good pace at mile 19 the pain started to hit me. My hips and my qauds but what the heck I only had 7 miles left I was smiling from ear to ear knowing how close I was to finishing my 1st marathon......besides at IMAZ 2006..... I stopped a couple of more times and took some pictures because at this time I knew I was going to be happy with my time and I wanted to enjoy the last 5 miles.... I stopped at the next couple of aid stations and got some water and shook some volunteers hands and thanked them for all of there hard work. When I reached The ballpark I knew I was only about a mile from the finish.......I gave some high fives to the people cheering all of the racers on and picked up the pace. As I crossed the finish line I had a huge smile and the first thing I thought of was I just ran not walked my 1st marathon!!!!! At IMAZ I must have walked 8 to 10 miles and this race I never walked wich to me is huge because now I can say I RAN a marathon!!!!! The best thing was there were a few different events one being the second half marathon.......the reason that is so cool it that as I was crossing the finish line they took a finish line photo and all you can see is the half marathon time on the other side of the street so in the photo it look like I finished in 2:16:33 LOL I WISH I WAS THAT FAST!!!!! Great race great city..... I had a blast. Thanks for reading my race report..... I can't wait to run another marathon.......next one I am going sub 4:00:00.....
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing I had a great time took some great pictures and also hit my target time!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around the expo for about 15 mins then walked to my hote about 10 blocks away!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pictures and beer......both worth it!!!!!

Event comments:

Awesome race if you get a chance put it on the calendar!!!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
04:26:01 | 26.2 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 244/481
Overall: 2085/4286
Performance: Good
Course: The course was amazing....great views of the city the bay and the Golden Gtae Bridge!!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes