Deseret Morning News Marathon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 46m 7s
Overall Rank = 432/2037
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 47/128
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate some quick breakfast and got ready for my ride. I headed up with a couple of neighbors.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, good walk to the start line from the car parking.
Run
  • 46m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was feeling pretty good at the beginning. I knew I had to average about 7:15/mi to meet my goal of 45:00, so at the beginning I held around 6:50/mi to hopefully counter my splits and take advantage of the downhill. It still ended up being tougher than I thought. I stuck it out until mile 6, but then I broke down and walked a small portion of the run -- I mustered up the strength to continue and finish strong, but didn't make my goal. Still very happy with the results of the run.
What would you do differently?:

Train more... For a 10K I need to do more track work, downhills -- sprinting. I was not really prepared to have a "fast" 10K time. But 46:07 is still a PR for me so I'm really not that sad about it. It'll get faster over time (or at least is should :))
Post race
Warm down:

Had a water, banana, popsicle and chatted with my neighborhood comrades. It was a good time. Stretched out my legs and got a good walk to our ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental block. My body was hurting, I was breathing hard and my mind was telling me to "STOP!!" I gave in for a few seconds in the sixth mile. And after that happens you're killed mentally. I was proud of myself for picking back up and finishing strong, but it would have been even better to stick it out through the pain and not stop.

Event comments:

Fun race, great course, and just a whole lot of fun. It is in conjunction with a marathon, and you get to see the finishers come in right after you're done with the 10K, so it's a great run. I especially liked the comp'd entry part (compliments of Fat Boy Ice Cream) :) That made the race even better!

Last updated: 2007-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:07 | 06.21 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/128
Overall: 432/2037
Performance: Good
Course: Steeper downhill for the first two miles from the University of Utah, and then it turns and makes a slight uphill run for 3/4 mi, and then heads back on a mild downhill toward the downtown area along N. Temple. Then it takes a left and is fairly flat all the way to 7th So. or so, and then the hard part is the last 3/4 mile is uphill to the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes