Dallas Athletes
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 27m 28s
Overall Rank = 8/109
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

I got to meet Dave Scott and Karen Smyers!! On Saturday, I picked up my race packet and went to the Q&A session with Dave and Karen. They were so nice, down to earth, and funny people. It was great. I got an autographed poster of them that I can't wait to frame. I stayed the night at a friends house (watched Texas Tech kill Nebraska, yea!). I got up at 4 in the morning, got ready and headed to the race. I parked in the parking lot outside the park, which I think was smart. I was one of the first people there so I got body marked, racked my bike in a spot close to the exit, and picked up my chip. Being an anal engineer, type A person has it's advantages of being overally prepared and always early to everything...after setting up I went to the bathroom, etc. When I came back, I noticed that Dave and Karen were racked next to me, how cool is that?! So at least I knew I would have plenty of room on that side once I got out of the lake because they would be long gone.
Event warmup:

I jogged for about ten minutes and stretched, walked around. Not a lot. It was hard to stay warm with the yucky weather.
Swim
  • 09m 20s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Once again, the water temp was 74 degrees which was wetsuit legal, but for a swim this short, they really weren't needed, yet a few people still wore them. All the girls were shivering at the start, which I feed off of. I love it when other people whine about the conditions, because it just toughens me up...I can be stronger than the weather, etc. This was my first mass start, but there wasn't near as many people as I had expected. I got jostled a lot in the first half, as to be expected, but I was proud at how I kept calm and didn't freak out. Once rounding the bouy to head to the bank, I felt in control and had a good rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

Well, the usual work on technique and swim more in preparation, but I really think I did the best that I could do at this point.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Fastest T1 time out of my group, I didn't have any problems.

Nothing
Bike
  • 51m 46s
  • 18.5 miles
  • 21.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Woohoo, I was close to 8 minutes faster than the next girl in my group on the bike. I passed several guys, who had a 15 minute head start on us chicas, along with several women. I usually try to go as hard as I can on the bike, but I didn't today because of the conditions. The roads were wet, which didn't bother me for the most part, but it bothered other people, which became a problem when they would all of a sudden slam on their breaks and weave all over the road. There was too much traffic on the roads...cars would either barrel past me, or I would be gaining on cars with no where to get around them. Some intersections were not manned, and I was fearful of cars turning into me. Several of the guys aggrevated me because they would be riding to the right or middle of the road so I was constantly yelling at them to move over, but at the same time it was nice knowing I was kicking some boys tails.

Try to go harder. I was a little too cautious on the turns, and I was too nervous around the cars. I should have been more confident, this is the first time where I went way too slow on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Again, no problems.

nothing
Run
  • 23m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I ran my usual. I was so mad coming into the finish because the announcer was going on about the girl running behind me...how dare he not mention me! And this girl thinks she's going to pass me?! I DON'T THINK SO! I was mad and kicked it in full gear and beat her in. Ain't no one going to pass me that close to the finish!

It's getting to the point where I don't really have to mention it anymore: COMFORT ZONE BAD!
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a breakfast burrito, two krispy kreme donuts, and drank a jamba juice. I took my stuff to the car and waited and waited and froze in my wet clothes while waiting for the awards. I saw the results and I knew that I had won my division, was the 8th female overall, and finished 58th out of the men and women combined. They finally go to the awards and said that they were going to be sending out personalized plaques with our name and a picture from the race, which is cool, but I wish I had known earlier because I didn't need to stand around forever to hear my name called out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather and other people...and the fact that I need to train more. I was pleasantly surprised with myself though, because I had been fighting off being sick all last week and didn't get to work out much due to different circumstances.

Event comments:

This was a great race, especially since it was the first time for this race. You can't predict the weather, but it was still fun, and it felt good on the bike and run. Meeting Dave Scott and Karen Smyers was so cool. The food afterwards was good. This race was really geared towards beginners and the volunteers were super helpful in helping the beginners out. The race started behind, but that was due to the cramped parking and weather, and was not a big deal to me. Personalized plaques for the awards is awesome. I liked how they did a survey at registration to get ideas on how to make it a better triathlon. My only complaint: the bike course, I don't like negotiating with cars, especially when I'm concentrating on a race, but at the same time, I know that we can't just kick them off the roads.

Last updated: 2004-10-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:20 | 500 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 0/109
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-uniform
Course: This course was a point to point course in (I think), Lake Lewisville.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:46 | 18.5 miles | 21.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: This course wound through residential streets in Highland Village. Rolling hills. The roads were wet, and there were bricks at several intersections which made people enrvous. We had to do two loops, which was good so that you knew what was coming the second time around.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:40 | 03.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back course through the neighborhood. It was advertised as a flat course, but mile two had some hills that hurt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-11 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Karen Smyers Woman Triathlon

2004-10-11 10:53 AM
in reply to: #71125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Karen Smyers Woman Triathlon
Congrats Gina! Its awesome you won your age group!

Kristen
2004-10-11 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Great job!

Any chance that you are going to do the Buffalo Springs Lake Half-IM in Lubbock next June?  Looks like I am the only BTer that is planning on doing that one.  Could use a 'virtual" training partner for that race.  Sounds like a brutally tough Half-IM, but that works for me on time of year and the fact that my brother and family live in Lubbock!

2004-10-11 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Hey Lane, I'm game to do the Buffalo Springs. I'm wanting to do longer distances next year and that one is a good one (but a toughy) from what I hear. I went to watch it a couple of years ago because I knew of someone who was competing. Being from the area I know of what to expect. It's usually hot, a dry heat and windy. The Lake is fed by springs, therefore is usually wetsuit legal. The bike leg is mainly flat, but does have some steep hills climbing in and out of the canyon. I was wanting to do a couple of half's next season...I wasn't planning to do one that early on, but I think if I do the marathon in February and keep my cycling up, that I should be ready by then. I think a couple of the guys in my tri club are wanting to do a half next summer so maybe I could drag them in on this one as well. Definitely keep me posted!
Gina
2004-10-11 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Sounds good to me.  I am definitely in.  It works with my schedule with the Navy and for my Tri training as well.  I want to do Ironman Florida next November, so I need a Half-IM somewhere between June and August and this one is that works the best for me.  It will be a huge build-up for me over the off-season, but I think I can pull it off.  The hills are the only worry for me for that race.  Living in New Orleans puts me at a disadvantage for hills, but will definitely prepare me for the heat!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Karen Smyers Woman Triathlon Rss Feed