Hutchinson Recreation Commission
PoolF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 44s
Overall Rank = 6/182
Age Group = 25-34
Age Group Rank = 1/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 3:30. Headed downstairs to the computer to double check my directions. Ate the usual ceral bar and gatorade. Had everything packed just had to get myself and Tori ready. Left the house at about 4:45. Wasn't for sure how long it would take us to get there so I made sure to leave plenty early. Arrived at about 5:45 after a trip to the local hamburger joint to get Tori some food. Needless to say we were plenty early. I think there was about half a dozen bikes racked when we got there. Once again I got a primo spot on the rack.
Swim
  • 07m 3s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time trial start about every 15 sec. it took me less than 100 meters to start catching people. 2 at a time, I never pass anybody by themself. They were always bunched in groups. Had to move on boy out of my way, I kept hitting his foot to let him know to move over. For some reason he held his line and wouldn't move over. I grabbed him buy the waist and moved him to the left so I could get around him. In a triathlon I actually expect some bumping and banging. He didn't seem pleased that I moved him but I figured its a race and I'm not there to make friends so...
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Good transition for me. Had to run quite a distance from the pool to T1. Nothing out of the ordinary here things went just as they should have.
Bike
  • 29m 56s
  • 10.88 miles
  • 21.81 mile/hr
Comments:

The fact that you had to complete 5 laps isn't very fun. Wish they could come up with some other course. It is all closed and there is no need for traffic control, so I guess that is good. Came out of T1 and was promptly passed by Brett and a couple other guy. They were completing their first lap. I jumped on the train with those guys. One of the bad things about the first part of the bike was there was alot of movement in the pack so that we couldn't be penalized for drafting. After about a lap and a half I realized that if I was going to keep up with those guys I was probably going to kill the rest of my race. The pace was a little faster than I thought I could handle. I dropped off the back and let those guys go. That was really hard because Brett is just as good on the run as I am so I knew letting him go was letting him beat me. I had to race my own race.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder. Pedal faster. Forget the Pain!
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Another good transition. I always put a towel down in my transition area to wipe my feet on coming out of the water. I don't dry them off I just have the towel there to wipe them on. Today I didn't unfold the towel all the way. So I didn't get all the little rocks off of me right heel, I could feel them during the bike but I hoped that they wouldn't bother me on the run.

Unfold the towel all the way!
Run
  • 19m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Luckly the rocks didn't bother me. I don't even think I noticed them when I started to run. I LOVE running. I usually pass a bunch of people on the run and today was no different. Passed the first guy about 50 yards out of T2. The passing didn't stop until the finish line. I think I passed about 8-10 people on the run. It's not as fun passing people when you are not sure how far ahead of you they started. I like a mass start at a tri because every person you pass is a spot closer to the top. Run went great, I really got nothing to say about it.

Run faster...
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down. Just grabbed some water and started looking for familiar faces.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training? I'm not totaly sure how to answer this question because I had a good race.

Event comments:

The number of volunteers is amazing, I'm not sure I have done a race with this many people helping. This is really a very well organized race. Needs USAT sanctioning. This one will definately be on my schedule for a long time to come!

Last updated: 2007-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:03 | 437 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/27
Overall: 14/182
Performance: Average
Suit: Sugoi Shorts
Course: In the Slat City Splash lap pool. It is a 50 meter pool so we swam down switched lanes then swam back. All the way across the pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:56 | 10.88 miles | 21.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/27
Overall: 15/182
Wind: Some
Course: Loop around the golf course at Carey Park. 5 laps equal 10.88 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:28 | 03.11 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 4/182
Performance: Good
Course: One loop around the perimeter of Carey Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes