General Discussion Race Reports! » Cobourg Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cobourg Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cobourg, Ontario
Canada
Multisport Canada
29C / 84F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 21s
Overall Rank = 130/226
Age Group = Women 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15 (only had 5hrs of toss and turn sleep), had breakfast (banana, muesli pita with peanut butter and 1 cup coffee), showered, gathered my stuff and left. My race was scheduled to start at around 10:00 but decided to drive to the site early. I arrived at 7:30, picked up my race kit and got body marked. I was able to relax, walk around and get familiar with the transition area.

I stopped to Tim Horton's for another cup of coffee on the way to the site, had a peach at 8:20 and three raspberry Newton-type bars at 9:00. I sipped water while waiting for the race to begin.

I don't recall how many times I went to the washroom between my arrival and the start of the race but I know it was at least four times before putting my wetsuit on.

Event warmup:

15 minute easy run followed by light stretches and a little practice swim followed by more light stretches and breathing exercises.
Swim
  • 15m 7s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Despite the damn waves, this swim was a personal best! I swam on my side for quite a bit during the first 265 meters of the course, before the first buoy; the waves were kind of making freestyling a bit difficult for me. On the way to the second buoy, things got better and faster. The last 215m was done full speed ahead. Drafting was below average as I didn't have anyone to draft from but navigation and sighting were good throughout the swim.

The Give-it-a-Tri folks hardly had waves this morning, they had thier swim start at 8:15, shortly before the wind picked up.
What would you do differently?:

Do more OWS practices in wavy and choppy waters.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Average transition. I smeared Bodyglide on my heels/calves/shins and yet the damned wetsuit got stuck on my heels again. Furthermore, I forgot to put my race belt on before leaving the transition area; I had to stop just before the mount line to put the damned thing on and then hop on the bike.

Put EVEN MORE Bodyglide on the wrists and heels; make sure the race belt was visible.
Bike
  • 44m 30s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.97 km/hr
Comments:

I was still hesitating this morning about which bike I was going to race with. The tri bike did not disappoint me on the downhills but the uphills were tough; I missed my road bike's third chainring a lot today, lol! I kept hydrated with a mix of HEED and Gatorade.

There's no doubt in my mind, I will bring the modified road bike next year and will practice hills even more as the olympic bike course has even more of them!
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Great T2 for me, put my socks on and I even made time to take a couple of gulps of water on my way out of the transition area.

Nothing at all.
Run
  • 30m 26s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 05s  min/km
Comments:

Why did I have to insert three brief walks to bring my HR down? I could have jogged those three short walks instead.

I chowed down a package of sports beans once on the run course and washed it down with water at the km 1 aid station. I had water at km 2.25, 3 and 4 thereafter.

Not walking on the run course.
Post race
Warm down:

15 minutes light jog/walk followed by stretches. Gulped down my Endurox after that and then proceeded to the food table.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) Walking on the run course
2) Lack of sleep because of nervousness.

Event comments:

I am ecstatic and very proud of myself! I ran a great race, it was the best one this year thus far. I believe the reason I did well was because I left the Garmin at home on purpose; I wanted to do a little experiment and it paid off, the end result being that I raced in a more relaxed state of mind. My training prior to this race helped too, lol! This is very encouraging for the olympic distance race in Montreal next month; I won't use the Garmin there either and will rely solely on my RPE and Timex watch.

As for the race organization, it was fantastic! The location was terrific, the organizers and volunteers were great and a family graciously installed a shower stand at the end of their outdoor water hose at the run course turnaround!

I will participate in the Cobourg Olympic distance race next year, this will be my prep race before Muskoka Ironman 70.3.

Last updated: 2007-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:07 | 750 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 101/226
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: One uneven triangular loop: 265m to the first buoy, 270m to the second one and 215m to the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 23C / 73F Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:30 | 20 kms | 26.97 km/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 125/226
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, flat for the first 6k or so and hilly thereafter, a mix of steady and steep climbs for 4k and back into it after the turn around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:26 | 05 kms | 06m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 159/226
Course: Flat out and back course from Victoria Park, through quiet residential subdivisions on wide roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-12 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Subject: Cobourg Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-08-12 8:25 PM
in reply to: #922805

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: Cobourg Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job and congrats, Nat.  I was there too, and did terrible, although not unexpected.
2007-08-13 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
Pour une fille qui disait ne pas "etre dedans"... way to go! You are now a MOP (middle of the pack) triathlete, congrats!
2007-08-18 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Congratulations on a great race.

Your swim was great.  I am glad you are happy with your results Well done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cobourg Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed