General Discussion Race Reports! » MW Windows Mountain Bike Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MW Windows Mountain Bike Race - CycleOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rocky Mount, Virginia
United States
Franklin County Parks and Recreation Dept.
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Got the bike ready, nothing special
Event warmup:

I rode the starting hill (half a mile of 8-10 percent climb)
Bike
  • 1h 03m 11s
  • 14 miles
  • 13.29 mile/hr
Comments:

They start the race in waves separated by two minutes. The clydes went off just after the sport riders. One guy on an orange Salsa dos 'Niner took off like a bat out of hell. On the short flat section leading up to the opening hill, I was doing 20mph and he was pulling away from me. I said to my self, "either he's going to completely kick my ass today, or he's gone out way too hard."
On the first climb I could feel the rest of the pack dropping back a little and I began to eat away at Mr. Orange's lead. The climb flattens a bit about 2/3 of the way up and I was able to really kick it up a notch there. I caught him and sat on his wheel for about 100 yards or so. Just before the course turns to go into the "singletrack" I passed him and really kicked it over.
There is very little actual single track on this course because the trail is mostly machine-built, as a result, it is a very fast course. I was able to get in the big ring and cruise a lot of the hilltops and the roadbeds.
I made the first river crossing in good form, and started the climb up "Still Hill" (named because there is an actual Moonshine still - or rather the ruins of one- about 200 yards off the course) Here I caught the tail end of the women's sport class. Ther were pushing their bikes up the hill. I managed to ride the whole thing.
I rode alone in a sort of no-man's land for quite a while on the first lap of the course. Since I knew I was leading the Clydes, I just concentrated on keeping it smooth and not making any mental mistakes. I have had some really bad crashes on this course before, and I did not want one today.
Shortly before the second river crossing, I caught sight of another sport class rider ( a kid wearing blue and yellow gym shorts) Having a rider to hound-dog chase is very motivational for me, so I took off tryiong to catch him. I actually managed to pass him in the cornfield just before the river crossing.
ON the second lap, I caught sight of a couple of other sport-class dudes who seemed to be riding together. I had to chase hard to bridge the gap. While we were on the top of the hill and descending to the first river crossing on the second lap, the gap stayed fairly consistent.
On the fireroad section leading down to the river, I did almost catch one of the 4-wheelers the marshalls were using to sweep the course, but he pulled over to the side of the road before I could make my catch. Oh well.
On the second river crossing and up Still hill, I got into a fairly large crowd of folks, sport class riders and the tail-end of the novice class. I got squeezed off the good line up the hill by a guy pushing his bike and had to run about 100 yards until I could get a smooth enough spot to finish the climb.
After that' I could occasionally hear riders behind me the whole rest of the race, I could hear them talking,and brakes squealing, etc. Knowing that people were close-ish behind me really did make me go faster.
I went back and forth with a sport-class guy in a red jersey on the last hill. We pased each other at least three times. Finally, on the last descent, I just told him to take it on home, I had a podium no matter what. I still kept him within "striking distance" as a matter of pride. On the final descent we both got passed (like we were sitting still) by the overall winner from the expert class. It was a good day.

What would you do differently?:

Not a damn thing!
Post race
Warm down:

Gasped for breath and ate Barbeque.

Last updated: 2007-08-13 12:00 AM
Biking
01:03:11 | 14 miles | 13.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was very dry this year. We have not had much rain. As a result, the river crossings were fairly easy to ride. That alone saved me several minutes on my total time, and greatly helped my confidence.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: MW Windows Mountain Bike Race

2007-08-13 9:05 AM
in reply to: #923323

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: MW Windows Mountain Bike Race
Nice race & congrats on the win!
2007-08-13 10:22 AM

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: MW Windows Mountain Bike Race
Sweeeeet!!!  Nice job chasing down people and making this race your beeyotch!! WOOO HOOO! 1st in AG! You must have felt great!! Nicely done!
2007-08-15 2:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MW Windows Mountain Bike Race Rss Feed