United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 29s
Overall Rank = 654/715
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 43/45
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:30am. My bag was prepacked, so I just had to pump up my tires and eat breakfast. Surprisingly, I was not very nervous, even though it was my first Oly.
Swim
  • 35m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

My race number was 821, so I didn't start until near the end of the pack, and the water was gray with all the clay that was mixed up. The weeds in my face were awesome (j/k), and even went down my tri top. I was having some problem sighting and was zigzagging a little on the way out. I stood up at the sandbar and maybe did 3 dolphin kicks and back in I went. I sighted the finally bouy well, but since this was my first Oly, I was nervous about pushing too hard and running out of steam. I am not able to breath bilaterally, so the chop was terrible on the way back in, which definately hindered my performance.

And, when I stood up to get out of the water, I started running (baywatch style), and then my right foot went down all the way to my knee, knocking me to my knees. It was like quicksand. Afterwards, my husband asked me what I tripped on in the water. The ground was just so mucky, the lake tried to swallow me alive!!
What would you do differently?:

sight better, draft off people more (it was hard to see the little bubbles infront of people with the poor water quality).
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

It was kind of fun to bike out of the transition area, and my transition spot was pretty good. However, since I was in one of the later "heats" I almost got hit by a biker coming down the hill back into the transition area. Scary. My heart rate was up after swimming, and I dry heaved a few times on the way to T1 (a problem I am trying to fix). I also went to the wrong rack at first and of course my first thought was "who stole my bike?" Clearly, there are 1,000 nicer bikes out there and why would they steal my bike, instead--I should automatically think, I am at the wrong rack--oops!

remember where my bike is

fix/manage my acid reflux problems

Bike
  • 1h 15m 15s
  • 21.4 miles
  • 17.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I was struggling on the bike. I guess I haven't been in the saddle as much as I would have liked and I was not completely prepared. It was hard being towards the end, because I felt like I was on the course by myself, because the young men behind me, zipped past me right away, if not in the water. The wind was pretty brutal on the way back in. My bike times were really slow, but my goal was just to finish this Oly. I also worked hard on drinking and refueling on the ride.

ride more

practice cornering fast

Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

grabbed my inhaler and off I went
Run
  • 1h 13m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I am embarrassed by this time and ran a few minutes and then walked. It was so hot on the course when I was out there, and I had a terrible side ache the entire time. I met a running buddy and we ran/walked a few miles together and then I just kept going. I really wanted to throw in the towel, but I knew I had come this far and just had to keep going. I dry heaved probably 10 times while running, but just kept plugging away. I usually run a 9:00-9:45 min pace, so my times were very disappointing. I was on-track from T2 to hit a 3:00:00 time (my initial goal), but after feeling so crappy, my goal became to finish. I also met a nice guy at mile 5 and we ran the rest of the way in. I was very glad to finish the race and appreciated all the water stops and sprinklers on the side of the road.

Not feel like I am going to die, more bricks maybe?

Manage acid reflux problems, again

Continue the positive self-talk
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a few minutes, ate some snacks, (no hotdogs, the line was too long), and stretched.

So, for my first Oly, I guess I can't be totally disappointed. My goal was to come in around 3 hours, and if my run hadn't sucked so bad, that probably would have happened. I decided to do this race about 3.5 weeks ago (I was one of the last spots), and had really only trained to do sprints. I think I overestimated by abilities and before signing up for another Olympic distance, I will need to train a lot more!!!!! My exercised induced reflux problems were much more apparent on a long course like this and I need to continue to work on this.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

usually for me....

heat, hydration, reflux problems

Last updated: 2007-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:18 | 1640 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/45
Overall: 451/715
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Square course, with sandbar half way out.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:15 | 21.4 miles | 17.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 638/45
Overall: 40/715
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:13:40 | 06.21 miles | 11m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 686/45
Overall: 43/715
Performance: Bad
Course: 6.2 miles on roads around the lake (you couldn't really see the lake), with a small 1 mile dogleg at mile 4.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 11:43 AM

User image

Twin Cities, MN
Subject: Turtleman Triathlon

2007-08-13 7:48 PM
in reply to: #923758

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Turtleman Triathlon
You endured and you finished great job.  There were a few times when I thought the run just wasn't worth it either.  The swim was AWFULL.  I did the leg sinking into muck a few times also.  Sorry we were not able to meet up, maybe next time.
2007-08-13 9:30 PM
in reply to: #923758

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: RE: Turtleman Triathlon

Way to suck it up and stick it out! We've all been tested similarly in races and how you responded to it in this race will make a lot of difference when you race again. You'll definitely be able to handle the adversity better next time.

Congrats again on a great race. Hopefully we'll get to meet in person next time.

Cheers!

Tom 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turtleman Triathlon Rss Feed