Premier Event Management
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 52/75
Pre-race routine:

Well the day started out with no significant sleep but I still felt ok. Got up about 3:30am, ate, and headed down to the venue. Arrived about 5am and rode my bike in from the parking lot. Felt pretty good.
Event warmup:

Half mile run to get warmed up about 45 mins prior to start. Thought about swimming but decided against it as I knew I would be sitting around on the beach for a good 30-45mins.
Swim
  • 09m 38s
  • 400 meters
  • 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim felt pretty good. I still had some issues from my diaphram that haven't quite resolved yet but it settled down about half way through. I started well and found my stroke quickly.

The course is a goofy M shape and I had to slow down around each turn due to pile-ups of swimmers but I was content with this performance overall.
What would you do differently?:

Get faster.
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

This was a horrid T1. I didn't put as much prep as usual into putting together my transition strategy and it shows. I found my bike just fine but hadn't properly prepped my socks so it took too long to get them on. I fiddled for precious seconds getting things on in the right order.

I also didn't start with my shoes on the pedals (forgot rubber bands) for the first time and man does that make a huge difference.

So overall it was a wretched T1 and lost me a good 30 seconds.

Drop the socks for a sprint.

Shoes on pedals. This was my first time not doing shoes on pedals and it makes a huge difference.

Get my tranition routine drilled out the night bedore.
Bike
  • 42m 28s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.56 mile/hr
Comments:

OK so my goal was to hammer the bike. I did this in places but just couldn't find my ideal rhythm. I really thought I would have been faster for the amount of time I was at 21mph+ but somehow that didn't pan out. I have no idea why.

In any case it was a better performance then last year and I'm not sure I could do much better with my current level of fitness. This will get better year over year.

Focus more on cadence and less on speed. Focusing on speed I somehow still managed to have a slow ride. I think when I focus more on cadence I end up with a faster ride overall.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I didn't do a cyclocross dismount here because it was crowded comming in and I would have had to do a full stop either way.

On my way into T2 I would have rested my legs on the downhill and the flat to better set up my run.
Run
  • 31m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Sucked.

Oh you want more then that? I need to get my nutrition dialed in all accross the board. I am carrying too much weight and the coffee I had for breakfast was talking too me most of the run.

I was never able to adequatly stabalize my HR from the bike and that added up to a bad run. On the plus side my diaphram didn't act up so although this was a terrible 5k time It is close to the pace I want to run for the 10k in the olympic next Sunday.

Drop weight. Better nutrition, not have coffee.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some fluids and hung out for a while. Got my bike, chatted with folks, and checked out my times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm too heavy and I need to do more speedwork. I did a bunch of long slow miles for my 1/2 iron training and although that built a great base I'm not set to run fast off the bike. I was never able to test my legs because my aerobic engine couldn't get them enough oxygen to get tired.

I need to drop 20-30lbs. If I can get down to 190lbs I would be down to about 12% bodyfat and that would be a significant amount of weight not to have to drag around.

Event comments:

I still like this race and will continue to do it every year. The swim start is a bit crowded and takes a while, the swim venue is goofy, but overall its a great race.

Last updated: 2006-12-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:38 | 400 meters | 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 55/75
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: desoto tri
Course: M shaped swim in alternating shallow/deep/shallow/deep/shallow water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:07
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:42:28 | 12.43 miles | 17.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/75
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course with only slight elevation changes
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:15 | 03.1 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/75
Performance: Below average
Course: single loop run. Gradual incline for most of the first half and then decline and flat for the second half.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

2007-08-13 1:09 PM
in reply to: #923906

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

Sounds like you didn't attack this race as an "A" priority race- more of a training race since you are in your build for the HIM. So it's ok to not expect everything to go perfectly...

BTW, I never understood how people can do the cyclocross dismount and how they put their shoes on while riding. I'm sooooo not that coordinated.

Good luck with the rest of your training- I'm sure you'll rock that 10K coming up. Just lay off the coffee....

2007-08-13 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana

Congratulations!!!!Laughing  Sounds like you had fun.  It's interesting to see how much we learn and 'forget' at each event. 

Time to start another weight loss challenge.  I gained 12 pounds this summer!!!

2007-08-16 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
Hey jmcelroy!!!

I remember reading and responding to some of your race reports from last year...

Yeah, I did that race too and I will get around to writing my report soon. I wilth you on the swim..The M is a little silly and it really gets you out of rhythm when you have to navigate around the bottlenecks at each turn.

I also heard from a few people that the bike isn't really 12 miles, but instead it is approx. 14 miles and I think that might be true. I reset my bike computer shortly (not immediately) after I started and it had me registered at close to 14 miles...so that could be the reason why you felt that your speed didn't get you anywhere. I had been hovering at 20+mph for most of the race and I think I came in at a 18mph pace which I don't think is quite true.

I liked what you wrote about your cadence though...that is true...cadence is important and I don't really pay much attention to that either.

Ugh! the run was very difficult for me as well. You have to admit that the course is very nice, especially the first half when you are running through the woods...I like that. The minus of the run was that entire stretch at the end when you were running straight into the sun and the baking pavement underneath you was getting under my skin.

I liked that race too. It is a good race....although, when I did Harbor Lights last summer I felt like that was better organized race. I think that the MC/announcer guy at Naper could do a better job at rallying up the troops before the race. I liked how at Harbor lights and the Chicago Triathlon they were more interactive with the participants before they jumped in the water...that got me really pumped up!

Nice report, jmcelroy!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naperville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed