Highlands Ranch Run Series
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 16s
Overall Rank = 34/323
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/29
Pre-race routine:

Worked the night before, fortunately no calls and got some sleep. Up at 4:30 am, got packed, and drove home. Ate a clif bar and drank some accelerade on the way home. Picked up my race packet at home and headed to the course.
Event warmup:

Light stretching.
Swim
  • 17m 19s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was to go first in my heat, which I don't necessarily care for. The second guy passed me after a few laps but then we stayed in that order for the rest of the indoor swim. Shoulders started to fatigue a bit. Ran to the outside pool and forgot to put my goggles back over my eyes before jumping in. Oops. Screwed a few people up trying to get them on. I'm an idiot.
What would you do differently?:

Swim has improved since last year. Knocked off almost 2 minutes. I think my actual swim time was a little over sixteen minutes, which is what I predicted. Forgot to start my stop watch though. Not sure why I feel everything in my shoulders rather than my back/lats.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Felt slow here. Had lots of black pebbles on my feet from the parking lot and had to take the time to wipe them off before putting on socks.

Practice. 1:01 faster than last year.
Bike
  • 43m 10s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to average at least 18 mph and actually be closer to 19 if I could. So all in all I'm happy with this. I felt really good on the first loop and tried to push it a bit. Still was passed a few times but did more passing than not. This is a tough little bike course. First half is all up and then when you finally get to the down, you still get more ups. Second loop was ok. But felt good, no stomach cramping as in the past.

Need more miles. Long rides are at 20 right now and few and far between. But I shaved over four minutes from last year and was 2 mph faster and I was only five minutes slower than the fastest bike time. But I think the next step up will be harder so I've got some work to do.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Dont' you hate space hogs in the transitions? Someone had their full sized milk crate sitting directly under the bike rack and it was impossible to fit a bike over it. So I couldn't rack my bike in that open spot and had to jockey for another. PUT your milk crates and 5 gallon buckets away from the rack. I put my tri backpack at the far end of the rack where no one has anything...

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 46s
  • 3.55 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good starting off though my legs were a bit clunky. At about mile one they felt better. I picked off lots and lots of people on the run and really felt good. Big hill at mile 3 seemed a lot smaller this year. Passed some guys that beat me on the bike (always feels good :)

Run harder. Still had a lot left at the end. My biggest problem on the run has been abdominal cramps/side stitches. It seems to stem from poor breathing and water swallowing on the swim. Today I didn't have that problem and my run was great. Whenever I felt the slightest twinge, I'd take deeper breaths and rub that stomach muscle; call it preventive care. I also didn't use Gu this time and just used Accelerade. This seemed to agree with me. I don't know if this will be feasible on longer tris.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and did a short cool down jog.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It really comes down to my amount of training. I can only run about 10-15 miles per week, bike 20-30, and swim a few thousand yards. This is barely adequate for sprints. Unfortunately, with my work schedule and family life, I'm pretty limited. It wil change when kids are in school and that's when I hope to step up a bit.

Event comments:

Another good tri for Highlands Ranch. I wish BKB would list all of the rankings in each discipline. Unless you were in the top 15 overall in each part or in the top three in your age group, you can't get your rankings.

Last updated: 2007-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:19 | 800 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/323
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Swim 17 lengths in inside pool, run 100 yards outside, then swim 15 lengths in the outside pool. Attempt to climb out of pool at very high end.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:10 | 13 miles | 18.07 mile/hr
Overall: 0/323
Performance: Good
19 mph ave at first lap. Cadence around 90.
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops @ 6.5 miles. Seems like there is more up than down but that's impossible.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:46 | 03.55 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 13/323
Performance: Good
Mile 1 @ 7:30?, Mile 2 @ 15:10
Course: Tough rolling course with sidewalks and gravel trails. Good sized hill at mile 3.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes