Cazenovia Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m
Overall Rank = 89/258
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/23
Pre-race routine:

Wasn't expecting too much from myself here. Basically no training for three weeks leading up to the event. One week of respiratory illness, then two weeks devoted to moving everything I own across the country and getting set up in new digs. I put this race on the calendar when I was feeling ambitious and lined up for the start really just for something to do on the first weekend in my new locale. Even so, I'm a bit disappointed at how things went.
Swim
  • 14m 14s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim in a beautiful setting. Usually I mix in breastroke to help with sighting and to give my arms a little break. I was determined to do this one all/mostly freestyle, which I did. Went out wide at the start to get away from the thrashing of the pack. Did a great job with sighting after that, but didn't have much of a chance to draft. Also did a good job of rationing my energy. Didn't realize at the time that this would be the high point for me.
What would you do differently?:

Definitely one of my better swims all around.
Transition 1
  • 02m

One of my better T1 times. No wetsuit to strip saved me time for sure.
Bike
  • 49m 27s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.99 mile/hr
Comments:

What can I say? I haven't been on the bike much at all this summer, and it really showed. I was actually cruising along at a good clip on the front half, but hills on the back half zapped me. Starting at mile 8, I was suffering up all of the climbs and saw legions go flying past me on the flats. Didn't wear my HRM, but I had to dial down the effort to make sure nothing popped through my chest. Conditioning is not where it ought to be.

Train.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Considering the shape I was in when I came in off the bike, this was pretty good for me. I might have been a little speedier, but I was also conscious of the big hill waiting for me just outside of the racks. Felt a little twinge in my hamstring as I was pulling on one of my shoes. Straightened out my leg just before it seized up in full cramp mode. Second time that's happened.
Run
  • 25m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Prior to the race, I set myself a goal of 8 minutes per mile. While I nearly got there, this run wasn't what I looking for. Went very easy out of T2 up the BIG hill, but turned out onto the course feeling cramped in my neck, shoulder, and side. Tried to loosen up my stride and concentrate on steady breathing which worked after a mile or so, but even then I felt on the verge a side stitch the rest of the way. Six or seven guys tracked me down on the second mile, and even though I tried to reel them back in on the last mile, I couldn't find the right gear. Passed one guy in the chute who was in worse shape than me, but nothing about this run felt comfortable.

Train.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the shade for a bit sipping water. Cooled off in the lake before packing up my gear and beating a retreat back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness is poor right now. I reached an endurance milestone in March this year (first marathon and second HIM in the same month). It's been steadily downhill since then in terms of training and conditioning.

Event comments:

Nice community event, but a relatively poor showing on my part. Racing is great, in part, because it usually provides a clear and honest reflection of the training you've got behind you. I can't say I liked what I saw, but then, the truth sometimes hurts. I might cut myself a break here and chalk up my difficulties to a tough period in my life, but the fact is it's time for me to buckle down and get back into a serious training regimen again. That or turn into a couch potato again. No, thank you.

Last updated: 2007-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:14 | 800 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 33/258
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts only.
Course: Three buoys to create a triangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:27 | 14 miles | 16.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/23
Overall: 127/258
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/23
Overall: 80/258
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back through town, Big hill out of T2, then a gradual climb on the front half with one more serious hill just before the half way mark.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes