EndorFun
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 20m 16s
Overall Rank = 359/1492
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 50/164
Pre-race routine:

First of all, let me just say that this was not only my favorite triathlon of my 3 year career but also my best performance. I'm absolutely ecstatic.

This was my 2nd adventure/destination race of the season, the first being Alcatraz. My friend from work, Greg, and his family also made the trip up from Flower Mound. So it was really nice to have some friends there.

Event warmup:

I did some light stretching with Greg and went for a short 4-5 minute jog. Sarah went for ~1hr run from about 6:30 - 7:30 and then we somehow found each other before I started my wave. It was really nice to have her there before the race.

They started about 20 minutes late b/c of the buoys drifting I believe. Not a big deal though.

The highlight of my pre-race was getting to see Dick Hoyt carry his son Rick from his wheel chair to the raft. I'm not ashamed to admit I got a little emotional. This was my first time to meet and race with Team Hoyt and it was incredibly inspirational. How can anyone not be touched by their story.
Swim
  • 38m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off fine with no kicks or significant bumps. After 5-10 minutes I didn't really see anyone near me in the water. I can't believe this didn't clue me into the fact that I was off course, but it didn't! STUPID. Next time, David, when you're alone after 5-10 minutes, it means you've swam crooked you silly head! I guess I didn't think I was too off course b/c I kept sighting pretty regularly off the triangular buoy that marked the corner and it looked like I was fine. I think I got off course pretty early and then b/c the intermediate buoys marking the side of the rectangle were so far off we were all ignoring them. Had they been correct I might have realized I had gone off course early, and corrected earlier. Oh well. Might have cost me a minute or two only.

After round the first buoy, we had to stare into the sun and I couldn't really see the buoys but I just kept trying to swim towards the middle of the pack of swimmers in front of me. That worked well and I found me groove and settled in. The rest of the swim went great save for one fairly bad choking episode after about 30-35 minutes. I inhaled some water and started choking pretty badly. I had to tread water for about 30-45 seconds before I could fully regain my composure. It was little scary, but since I had experienced this in training I was prepared!

Overall, I'm happy with my swim, a PR for this distance. The wetsuit really helps and it didn't seem to restrict my shoulders as much this time, nor did it chafe my neck as before. So all is good. A great start to the day!
What would you do differently?:

Pay attention to my surroundings!
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

First time being wetsuit stripped! It was fast and easy. Love'd it.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.09 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course was fun. Coming out of T1, my HR was sky high in the 180s! I tried ease up some to let it come down, but it wanted to GO! So, I went with it and it slowly came back down into the 160s. The hills were not as bad as I had expected and its always comforting to be struggling up them with other people. Actually though, the toughest hill up 107 wasn't as long as it looked. I did wish I had bigger cog in the back, but I only had to grind for a couple of minutes at most. I couldn't hear my watch beep to remind me to drink but I had practiced enough to pretty much know when to drink.

Once on 106, the course flattened out a bit and everyone was flying. It was a blast. I was loving the cooler temps and remember thinking that this could end up being one of my best races because of the given conditions. I was maintaining 23-24 mph for miles on end. Only after the turnaround did I realize that this was tailwind aided! Doohh!! The way back definitely was tougher as the road never seemed quite flat, but always either a short downhill or a steady and slight uphill section. Plus the head wind really started to pick up, and my speed dropped to 17-18 mph.

The hills in the last 10 miles did not seem as bad going this direction, and the downhills were fun and a little scary as I was occasionally afraid that I'd have a mechanical problem with my bike after re-assembling it the day before.

In the end, this was a great bike split for me despite missing a half bike PR by 8 seconds. For the first time, I also raced this leg more by feel that HR. I would check my HR occasionally, but I wouldn't stress about it and I just went off RPE. I'm really happy that I'm getting experienced enough to do this.

Not much
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Had some trouble putting my left shoe on, but no big deal.
Run
  • 1h 49m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

This was really a tale of 2 laps for me. The first lap felt great. I had slowed down the last 1-2 miles on the bike to allow my HR to come down, and I had stopped taking in calories that last 15-20 minutes so my stomach would settle. This worked great as I started the run strong. I ran the first 4 miles at about 7:45 pace, probably too fast looking back, but I was feeling great! My HR was pretty high, but I my RPE was in check so I went with it. I took a gel at about 20 minutes and I kept taking water at the aid stations. All was well for the first lap. I saw my wife and Ingrid (Greg's wife) back near transition and that gave me a boost.

However, as soon as I headed back out for the 2nd lap, I started to feel pretty tired. My RPE was much higher and slowed down a little to about 8:30 pace or so. I was starving and my stomach felt like it was eating itself. I had experienced this before at other races too. However, my intensity was so high that I knew that I wouldn't be able to process any solid food and I didn't want to risk bloating or cramping, so I didn't eat and just dealt with the hunger. Climbing the hills was really tough on this loops and I even walked for a few seconds on a couple of them.

I really had to bear all of my mental strength to keep from fading hard. This was the toughest part of the race for me, but fortunately my mind was strong and I kept a good focus. This was my A race and I really wanted to give it my all. I did and I can look back and be proud of my performance, a half run split PR by 18 minutes!

Try to take in more calories. 2 gels for almost 2 hrs wasn't enough.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt pretty bad afterwards and I was a little afraid that I might be dehydrated, but I kept walking around and after a few minutes and tons of food I started to feel a lot better

Event comments:

This was an amazing race. Keith puts on good event, not just a race. The festival at Gunstock was good. I especially enjoyed the pro race forum where we all got to ask pros such as Desire, Simon Lessing, Michael Lovato, and Kate Major questions.

The lake was really clear and a pleasure to swim in. The bike course was challenging but not severely so, and the run course was probably the best supported of any race I've done. But perhaps, the best thing about the race is the area itself. This lakes region of NH is simply amazing and my wife and I had a great time exploring it.

At about 5pm back at our condo, we ran into another racer who was just coming back from the Clearwater/World Championship 70.3 slot allocation and he was excited b/c he got a slot. I asked him what his time was and he said 5:35 and he was M30-34! That means, I would have GOTTEN A SLOT had a stayed for the roll-down! Now, I don't know if I would've accepted it anyway as I've already done 2 destination races this year, plus I'm doing Longhorn in Oct and Clearwater is a month later and costs $295! But still it's kinda cool to think that I would have qualified!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:53 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 77/164
Overall: 627/1492
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:47:13 | 56 miles | 20.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/164
Overall: 316/1492
165 avg. HR
Wind: Some
Course: Some decent hills in the first and last 10-12 miles and small rollers in the middle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:49:24 | 13.1 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/164
Overall: 412/1492
Course: 2 6.5 mile loops along the lake with some decent hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-22 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron
If you want to read more about our vacation, you can read our blog entry here .

Edited by dgillen 2007-08-22 5:29 PM

2007-08-22 5:55 PM
in reply to: #936758

User image

Veteran
MA
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Wow- favorite triathlon ANd best performance?!  Congrats, you really nailed all three legs.  Nice work, Clearwater qualifier! 
2007-08-22 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Nice job! 

2007-08-22 9:01 PM
in reply to: #936884

Champion
South Jersey

I met you!!! We met at Timberman and didn't even realize (unless it was another guy that looks just like you and is from Texas). I was the girl who was the lake with her mom on Friday morning. You were packing up from your swim as I arrived, and we talked about earplugs (which I got, by the way). You were staying in Weir's Beach or whatever it's called at a condo with your wife. How cool is that?!?!?!

And, if that wasn't you, forget all that nonsense above .

Anyway, great race. It seems that getting off course during the swim was the popular thing to do that morning. And, yes, the bike the course was awesome. Nice job toughing out that run. It sucks when hunger or other stomach issues come up like that, but it's cool how we know our bodies and know how best to deal with those issues.

You had an awesome race, and congrats on your personal best performance. I'm glad you had a great trip .

Congrats on doing well enough to be in position for a Clearwater slot.

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-08-22 9:03 PM
2007-08-22 9:27 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Congrats on a great race!
2007-08-23 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Flower Mound, Texas
Great race Dave!

2007-08-23 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Great race!
2007-08-23 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Great job on the solid PR!! I love those pictures. I'm glad that you and your wife enjoyed your stay in Northern New England.
2007-08-23 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Great race David!  Very impressive times all around.

And thanks for the RR.  Great motivation for my upcoming races.

2007-08-23 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! Great job! Congratulations on such an amazing race!
2007-08-23 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Excellent time, and do come again.  This race is an annual favorite among many of us "locals". 

I think it's great that you PR'd, qualified for Clearwater, and had a great vacation with your wife/sweetie all at the same time.   Gotta love destination tri's!

Again, Congratulations, -Sunny

2007-08-24 10:41 AM
in reply to: #936954

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
LaurenSU02 - 2007-08-22 9:01 PM

I met you!!! We met at Timberman and didn't even realize (unless it was another guy that looks just like you and is from Texas). I was the girl who was the lake with her mom on Friday morning. You were packing up from your swim as I arrived, and we talked about earplugs (which I got, by the way). You were staying in Weir's Beach or whatever it's called at a condo with your wife. How cool is that?!?!?!

Wow!  It's a small world, huh.  At the lake when you said that you were from South Jersey, I seemed to remember that there was someone on Timberman thread from SJ and I almost asked if you were on BT!  I wish I would of now.  I didn't know I was talking with THE Lauren!

2007-08-24 10:57 AM
in reply to: #939023

Champion
South Jersey
dgillen - 2007-08-24 11:41 AM
LaurenSU02 - 2007-08-22 9:01 PM

Wow!  It's a small world, huh.  At the lake when you said that you were from South Jersey, I seemed to remember that there was someone on Timberman thread from SJ and I almost asked if you were on BT!  I wish I would of now.  I didn't know I was talking with THE Lauren!

It's really funny, because I had a conversation with another person down on the beach as well (after you left). And, as my mom and I were leaving the lake after my swim, my mom said, "What if one of those people you were just talking to is someone you know on BT and you guys never even realized it?" It sure is a small world.

Well, it was nice meeting you .

I hope you had a nice trip. I visited your blog, and it looked like you had a great time. Great race .

2007-08-24 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
WOW David, Just a fantastic performance all the way around. Congrats on a job well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed