Budu Racing
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 29s
Overall Rank = 185/450
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/44
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early....after a rough night of sleep (thanks, kids!)....drank a smoothie, had a cup of coffee, and took off. I got to the event with plenty of time to casually set up my transition area. Unfortunately, they didn't have porta potties so the line to the bathroom was looooong. I missed the pre-race meeting while in line with about 100 others.
Event warmup:

Jumped around, swinging arms....that's about it! Stretched some.
Swim
  • 08m 36s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went pretty well, I watched out for the breast strokers this time and managed to not get kicked for a change! I wasn't fast, but kept a pretty steady pace. I think I stood up too soon to get out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster! :)
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Got into T1 and out onto the bike course pretty fast! Socks were hard to put on for some reaon, and my feet were really dirty so I took a few extra seconds to make sure there wasn't any bad debris joining me.

Nothing....I had a great place on the rack so it was easy to get to. I liked that the racks were all numbered so that there wasn't a huge competition for spots. Plus, since I'd bought my registration from a 20-25 yr old male, that whole group was long gone so my bike and the area near it was alone and quiet.
Bike
  • 47m 37s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 18.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed it pretty hard on the bike and at one point saw my speed at 37 going down a hill and pedaling! I am surprised my overall time isn't faster, but there were some turns to navigate and some puddles where we had to slow down as a group. I cranked it hard up the hills and really flew on the way down. So much fun. I felt great on this course.

Push even harder! Lose more weight so that the uphill gravity isn't so strong. Aerobars?? Everyone who passed me had those. Hmmm.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

I felt pretty good getting to T1 and grabbed my hat and race belt....headed out and realized I forgot to change my shoes! Duh. Luckily I had only gone a few steps so I fixed that error! My left shoe took a little adjusting to feel ok.

Pay attention to what I am doing....practice more so it would be apparent that I need running shoes on. I also forgot to put my gum in my mouth, so now my TMJ is killing me! If I don't chew gum when running I clench my jaw and then suffer for days. Ugh.
Run
  • 28m 46s
  • 3.42 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a very interesting run, and enjoyable once I realized it was just going to be off road the whole time! It seemed as though they just took a big mower and cut swaths through a field to run in. At one point I told another runner that we were "Out-standing in the field" and got a good laugh. There were two foreign tourists wandering about looking very confused somewhere in the middle of the field, too. I had a chuckle imagining what was going through their heads.

Try to keep a steadier pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Water and bagels, chatted with friends, tracked my family down. They missed the whole thing and were late, so I was a bit frustrated at that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight and being tired from doing a triathlon last weekend!

Event comments:

I had a good time at this race...it was close to home, on time, and a great course. I will definitely do it next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:36 | 437 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/44
Overall: 235/450
Performance: Average
Suit: One piece tri suit
Course: Rectangle, counterclockwise. Swim finish was very far from the transition area, and required a great deal of running on the sand and up a hill to get there. I got pretty winded doing that!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:37 | 14.5 miles | 18.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/44
Overall: 185/450
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back along Lake Sammamish Parkway. Let's see, where do I go ride all the time? Oh yeah, Lake Sammamish Parkway! I loved the course, and felt really strong on it the whole way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:28:46 | 03.42 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/44
Overall: 258/450
Course: 5.5 km course through the state park. I wasn't prepared for having the entire course off-road. . . . the terrain was uneven so I had to concentrate really hard not to trip...I would say 90% of the course was that way. There was only one water station about halfway through, and I was really thirsty by then. The finish was fun, there were a lot of people cheering.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-25 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: Lake Sammamish Sprint

2007-08-25 9:13 PM
in reply to: #940140

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
Subject: RE: Lake Sammamish Sprint
Awesome job getting two tris done in one week! It seems like you had a lot better time at this one.
2007-08-25 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Fantastic race report!! I think you're officially addicted to this sport.  I have 3 more more weeks to get my next fix. Congrats; you did great! I want to run as fast as you. (whining slightly...which I know you don't need in your busy life.

SO.....when's the next one? "

2007-08-26 12:19 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Aw geez......my addiction is baaaad.  The next one will probably be Sept. 9, either the Subaru women's series or Mercer Island escape from the rock.  Can't decide.  MI is closer but most people I know are doing Subaru.  Then maybe one two weeks after that to finish the season......I am losing my mind, huh?

It was fun telling people today that I had done a tri this morning and two this week!

2007-08-26 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

You really kicked butt! That was a fantastic race - great job!

Not another one for two weeks?  Don't slack off now!  What are you waiting for - I'm sure you can find one Labor Day weekend! Laughing

I hope you're very proud of how well you've done this year.  It's amazing how well you've progressed since the Spring - congratulations!

2007-08-27 11:25 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Well done you. You are such an inspiration! I love doing these races with you so much!!! We need to do more!!! Many, many more!  I want to be able to catch up with you too at some point. Damn you are fast.

2007-08-27 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

Nice race!  Your report is actually making me a bit nostalgic....

I left your area after high school (Bellevue High '80), but the idea of doing a triathlon in Lake Sammamish or Mercer Island may just get me back!  In high school I wanted to swim across Lake Washington or around Mercer Island, but never had any friends with the same interest.  Escape from MI sounds fun.  Where do you escape to?

2007-08-27 2:07 PM
in reply to: #942357

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
famelec - 2007-08-27 11:29 AM

Nice race!  Your report is actually making me a bit nostalgic....

I left your area after high school (Bellevue High '80), but the idea of doing a triathlon in Lake Sammamish or Mercer Island may just get me back!  In high school I wanted to swim across Lake Washington or around Mercer Island, but never had any friends with the same interest.  Escape from MI sounds fun.  Where do you escape to?

I think you escape briefly to Seattle via I-90, but end up back on the island.  I suppose it's the journey, not the destination, in this case!  There's an early season tri in Issaquah at Lake Sammamish, which is on a similar course to the one this past weekend, so that gives you a few opportunities throughout the year to come back and race.  Just don't forget rain gear!  It's been a cold and rainy tri season!!!  I am sure you would have fun being back in the NW to race, in any case.  Good luck!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Sammamish Sprint Rss Feed