General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Training - Having to take a week off Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-26 3:59 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Marathon Training - Having to take a week off

Last week I pulled my quad muscle playing kickball (yes, I know I'm an idiot) 10 weeks into my 16 week marathon training program. I ran 19 miles last Saturday, then pulled my quad taking 'kick practice' on Sunday. It pulled bad enough where I couldn't jog, it was sore to go down stairs, really sore if i tried to stretch it etc... not really sore walking or flexing it when my leg is straight though. I've now had to take a full week off from running, my leg is starting to feel better (I can jog now, not sure how far, but I can jog). I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow and hope to get back into the swing of things this week, but:

Question: How much time off can I take and still finish the marathon. I have 5 weeks left, is taking a week off too much? Two weeks? Two and half? At what point do you say this might not happen?

Also, I'm thinking once my leg feels 'runnable' then I'll go run like 2 miles, then wait 2-3 days and run 5-6, then wait 2-3 days and run 10-12, then maybe try to get back into the training program... does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks in advance!

- Brian

2007-08-26 4:14 PM
in reply to: #940853

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Marathon Training - Having to take a week off

I would say a week is okay, but not really two weeks .......... that would really put a hurt on your fitness level.

But you really need to take care and make sure the strain is healed up before stressing it more, otherwise you could ruin the whole season and/or the next one as well.

2007-08-26 5:23 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Agree w/ Rick, however can you do any crosstraining in the interim to keep the aerobic fitness levels up?  I have heard that people have done water running, rollerblading, ellipticals, and even cycling when unable to run w/ pretty good results.  Your results may vary, but something to consider.
2007-08-26 7:37 PM
in reply to: #940974

User image

New user
Agreed... In retrospect, I wish I had done some swimming last week, but I really didn't feel good enough to do anything until around Thursday and I went camping on the Appalacian Trail Friday morning for the weekend with some buddies. So i guess you could say carrying a pack around and treking for wood could be considered cross training.

Update: I was feeling pretty good tonight so I decided to go for a short jog, I took it really easy for ~ 1.75 miles and felt pretty good... maybe 90%. I'll be going to the doc tomorrow afternoon, if the doc clears me for training and if it feels good, I'll try 3-4 miles tomorrow and then ramp up accordingly this week. And I'll try to work some swims in on the off days to get the blood flowing and help keep my loose.

- Brian
2007-08-26 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Take no chances. Let it heal completely. I missed two run seasons because I kept running on an ankle injury in prep for a marathon.

CP2K
2007-08-26 8:55 PM
in reply to: #941163

User image

New user

I'm leaning on the side of caution... however, I would think that a muscle pull would be different than an ankle/knee/joint etc injury, no? I mean as far as doing long term damage. The fact that i'm able to run without any pain and it didn't get sore after running (well, more sore anyway, there' still that residual slight soreness) is a good sign. I'm hoping that over the next few weeks Ill be able to ramp back up to my training schedule in time for my 20 miler in three weeks... Wonder what the doc will say.

- Brian

2007-08-27 6:56 AM

User image

Runner

I recently suffered a high hamstring strain that kept me from doing any running for a month.  Why?  Because I kept going, despite the fact that I knew there was a problem.

2007-08-27 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
I took almost 2 weeks of in my marathon training last summer due to inflammation in my connective tissue and I was slow but fine for my marathon. The fact that you have already done a 19 mile run shows that you will most likely be ok to complete the distance. Now, you may not be as fast as you hoped, but the boat has already sailed on that if you have that bad of a muscle pull....
2007-08-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: #941307

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Get a sports/deep tissue massage.  I had issues with my calfs when I first started and tore my left Solues and when I pulled my left one again two years later I got a massage.  Something about lessions, knots, etc from the original injury was causing me lots of problems.  Since then my calf(s) have been injury free.
2007-08-27 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Everyone has offered great advice. One week off to totally recover would be good for the body anyway. Two weeks would be too much.

Also, consider the elliptical trainer. I broke my big toe this July and it helped me pretend to run for four weeks until I could withstand impact again without losing too much in the way of running fitness.

Hope the healing continues! 

2007-08-27 12:27 PM

Elite

bkfitz - 2007-08-26 2:59 PM Last week I pulled my quad muscle playing kickball

also, make sure to lay off the dodgeball, tetherball, four-square and hopscotch

2007-08-27 8:15 PM
in reply to: #942196

User image

New user
Funny Scotto...

I don't know if I can live without my weekly dose of hopscotch

So I went to the doc today. He said that the injury is pretty minor and that based on his review (stretching this way and that way, does this hurt, does that hurt, how did it happen, etc), I should be ok for x-training and easy running this week, then try to ramp back up to my marathon plan next week. He said that I likely 'strained' 5 or 10% of my quad muscle fibers and that they will take up to 6 weeks to fully recover. Until then, don't do anything that causes it to hurt, and don't stretch it to the point of pain. No sprinting/speed work, no hills for at least 2 more weeks. Take 600-800mg of Ibuprofin 2x daily, and ice it after use.

So I got on the stationary bike for 30 mins of spinning and then ran home from the gym (~ 1.5 miles). I plan on swimming tomorrow, then depending on how it feels, running ~ 5-7 miles on Wednesday.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep posting as I recover if for nothing else than a reference for the next person to play kickball in the middle of marathon training

- Brian

Edited by bkfitz 2007-08-27 8:17 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Training - Having to take a week off Rss Feed