TriNB
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m
Overall Rank = 13/37
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

Puppy sitting since Wednesday so I haven't been working out much - only decided for sure to even do the race on Friday. Took the dogs for a couple of walks, however, the weather was pretty bad so I didn't get out on the bike or run. Slept okay the night before, up at five, looked after the dogs and then headed to the race. Had breakfast in the car (2 cans of ensure) and then a full throttle. Arrived at the race site around 8, registered and setup.
Event warmup:

Once transition was setup, 12' run on the course - felt nice and strong but could feel that if the sun broke out it was going to be hot. Then about 15' on the bike (8k) on the course, felt strong and powerful. Finally, after the briefing a quick swim warmup - about 5' and 250m. Felt loose and ready to go.
Swim
  • 28m 10s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was one of the worst swims I have ever had. I haven't been able to get to the pool as much as I would like for the past couple of weeks and the lack of time in the water showed. I went out hard and was in the first group at the first buoy. I felt smooth, powerful but then I was just unable to hold pace. I started to fall off the pace and soon was in the chase pack. I held the chase pack for most of the first lap but then couldn't hold with them either. On my own I had trouble navigating and ended up with a poor second lap. Typically I can hold my own on the swim, but nothing doing this time.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Solid T1

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 11m 31s
  • 41.5 kms
  • 34.82 km/hr
Comments:

This is the first OD race of the year that I raced last year and I was interested in seeing where my bike fitness was. Last year, conditions were very similar and I rode about 38'/lap. I maintained what felt like a solid 40k effort for this ride and took about 4' out of last year's time. Granted the aero helmet and wheels should have helped as well, but definitely stronger on the bike.
After leaving T1, I tried to settle into the aero position and ride steady. My goal was to stay with the other athletes and limit my losses. The couple OD athletes who went by me I tried to keep in sight for as long as possible and I was able to race strong and pick off lots of people who were ahead of me on the swim. Overall, this was probably my best ride ever in an OD event.

Swim faster to have fewer people to catch.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Great T2

Nothing
Run
  • 43m 56s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 23s  min/km
Comments:

My goal coming out of T2 was to ease into the run for about 2k and then pick up the pace. I felt strong on the run and was quickly able to start passing some other runners (both sprint and OD at this point). I wanted to run the first 5k under 21' to set up a strong second lap (20:30 or under). Near the end of the first lap, I could feel the heat really starting to come on strong (around 36 with the humidex at the end of the race). I was passed at the beginning of the second lap and decided to try to run with the guy who passed me. I was able to stay with him (about 25m back) for 2km when the heat took it's toll (again :(). This is the second race in a row that I've been unable to negative split the run due to the heat; definitely hope my last race is a little cooler. I ended up not meeting my goal of a 41:30 10k by almost 1:30 - definitely not a good way to end the day.

Not sure there was much that I could do with the heat. This was a training race and I've had some hard running sessions in the past two weeks building towards a Sept peak so hopefully with a full taper and peak for the last race and a little cooler temps I will be able to race a negative split 10k (under 41'?).
Post race
Warm down:

Took off my shoes, hat, sunglasses and hit the lake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and lack of swim training lately.

Event comments:

Race was good - I just wasn't quite where I wanted to be. However, I took more than 5:30 off last year's time and feel good about the bike heading into the last race of the year. The field was as strong here as any race I've done; especially in my age group.

Last updated: 2007-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:10 | 1500 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 22/37
Performance: Below average
Lap 1 - 13:40 Lap 2 - 14:30 Avg HR - 161
Suit: Orca Evo Fullsuit
Course: Two counter clockwise rectangular loops in Silver Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:31 | 41.5 kms | 34.82 km/hr
Overall: 16/37
Performance: Good
Lap 1 - 35:54 HR 165 Lap 2 - 35:37 HR 160
Wind: Strong
Course: 2x10km out and back. Wind was pretty steady on the return trip and there were several small rollers.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:56 | 10 kms | 04m 23s  min/km
Overall: 15/37
Performance: Below average
Lap 1 - 20:51 HR 166 Lap 2 - 23:05 HR 172
Course: Two figure eight loops on a mainly flat course with 50% road and 50% trail.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-26 6:45 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Silver Lake Special

2007-08-29 10:09 PM
in reply to: #941068

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Silver Lake Special
sounds like a strong race and great improvements from last year. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silver Lake Special Rss Feed