United States
5430 Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 49s
Overall Rank = 67/255
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/44
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a 5:00, fixed my english muffin w/ PB & honey, while Ocky took the puppy out to take care of business. We then loaded the car, and were pulling out of the hotel parking lot by 5:45. Got to the parking field in time to be in the first row of cars. Walked over to transition, picked up my timing chip, claimed the closest slot in my wave to the bike entrance/exit, got bodymarked, set up my transition area, then found hubby and the pup and burned the next hour or so until transition closed. Nibbled on my tigers milk bar, polished off my Gu2O. Went back to my transition spot about 15 minutes before transition closed to put on bodyglide, put away any non-essential clothing (it was chilly!), and grab my wetsuit, cap, and goggles.

I was in the last of 5 waves, so I started pulling on my wetsuit as the first wave went off. I wanted to get in a short swim warm/up, but didn't want to be standing around wet too long, given the crisp temps, so I stayed with hubby on-shore until the 3rd wave headed out.
Event warmup:

Swam a quick warm up, basically to get water in the wetsuit and make sure my shoulders were adjusted comfortably.
Swim
  • 25m 44s
  • 1320 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went out pretty hard at the start, and got clear of the pack quickly. The water for the first 30 yards or so was really murky with lots of "vegetation." Unlike when I did this race before, the vegetation really cleared up after that, and there were only a few times I felt junk get tangled on my hands or goggles. I may have gone a bit too hard for the first bit, because it took me awhile to find a comfortably strong pace to hold after that.

The "out" leg was pretty uneventful. I caught some feet for a little while. I lost a bit of momentum coming around the first turn bouy, trying to clear it and get lined up with the next bouy. Started to catch up with more of the slower swimmers from previous waves, and had to do a bit of dodging frog kicks. I lost momentum again at the second bouy, but was able to get back in the groove pretty quick.

Unfortunately, I got a little off course on the way back in. When the bouys are yellow, it might not be a good idea to also have a wave with yellow swim caps--just sayin. I also got a bit hungery on the way in. It was at this point I realized I forgot to take a pre-race gel.

I was able to pass people from every wave during the swim, which always makes me happy! Swam it in until my hands were in the muck before standing up. Then realized my watch hadn't started when I pushed the button, so I had no idea of my swim time.

Saw hubby as I was running up the path to transition. The pics he took show some "great" facial expressions! ;)
What would you do differently?:

This swim wasn't great, but it felt better than the time would reflect. I guess I need to work on quick starts, settling into race pace.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Not pretty. The timing chips were the kind that are on their own neoprene strap, and the wetsuit got caught on it. I just wasn't focused during this transition. Our wave was located as far from the bike exit/entrance as possible, so even with a good spot, I had to jog a rather long way in my bike shoes--guess everyone in my AG had to do the same, though!

Get the timing chip under the leg of my wetsuit?
Bike
  • 1h 02m 13s
  • 20 miles
  • 19.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, coach told me to "ride within" myself, and I really tried to do that. But, when there's a short hill, with about a dozen people on it, and I know I can pass them all with just a little effort, well, I'm going to pass them! A little push here, a little push there, and I was as the turn around before I knew it! It seemed to come so much sooner than it did 2 years ago!

On the return trip, I started cheering on the folks that were towards the end of the race. I know I was one of them the last time I was on this course.

Coming back across the train tracks, my handle bars got jiggled and rotated down. I tried to pull on the aeros to get the bars back in place while riding (I've done this before), but couldn't get them to budge, and ended up having to stop for a minute to get them right again. Probably lost 30 seconds to a minute, between the time stopping and loss of momentum.

One nice thing about being in the last wave is knowing that you are beating everyone behind you, and everyone you pass! That also made holding back a little harder. ;) Coming over the last hill, I pushed past several people.

This is a new race pace PR! :)

Tighten down my handlebars! Maybe push harder, but then I might not have had the legs for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Rather uneventful. The people who had be throught transition ahead of me had tossled my towel/transition are a little, and I had to shake pebbles out of my shoes before I put them on. Maybe cost me 20 seconds.

Get to transition before anyone has a chance to kick pebbles into my shoes?! ;)
Run
  • 38m
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile, I was in good shape, and managed an 8:30 pace. Got to the aid station, and choked on the water I tried to drink. Finally coughed my airway clear, drank some water, poured some over my head, and headed off. Pretty quickly, a side stitch got going. Then another. I slowed my pace to try to alleviate the cramps, then walked for a little stretch. After a few start and stops, I started to feel better, and got back to running.

Came up on lil_turtle (Lacey), who was doing great!

Hit the turn around, and knew I was on the home stretch. Found a woman who was keeping a good pace and willing to chat, and decided to run with her for a little bit. After about 1/2 a mile, I pulled ahead, and never saw her again. My focus was now on the final aid station, which I could see up ahead. Walked through drinking water, dumped more on my head, and off I went.

The last mile, I think I was able to pull out another 8:45 mile. About 300 yards from the finish, I was closing in on a pack of women, and I saw Ocky on the side, cheering me on. He told me to kick it, and catch them--so I did! Nice and strong across the finish line, setting a new triathlon run pace PR. Then I looked for something to lean on! :)

Not have side stitches/cramping. I'm not sure, though how to keep them from happening! I have switched to a protein-free sports drink and gel on the bike, and was only taking in water on the run. Maybe I should have taken in some calories on the run?
Post race
Warm down:

Found Ocky and the pup, then made a b-line for the food. Watermelon, banana, bagel with Nutella (still heaven!), and a sandwich section. Claimed a spot in the shade and made myself eat. Lacey and her friend found and joined us, so we chatted for awhile.

Had to get back to the hotel pretty quickly to get cleaned up before check-out, so I packed up my stuff as fast as I could. On the way back to the car, with droves of people leaving, we see a guy out on the course shuffling his way along. This guy was still racing. How awesome is that?! Talk about heart and determination! Ocky and I cheered for him, and people behind us figured out what was going on, and started cheering, too. We were at the truck loading up when we heard the crowd at the finish line go crazy, and we knew he had made it in. :) This sport is just amazing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Side stitches. Otherwise, this race went really well. Glad it wasn't perfect--I need something to improve upon!

Event comments:

The folks at 5430 Sports know how to put on a great race, and Steamboat is no exception. The smaller roster gives this event a more laid back feel than the Boulder races. The expo may not be as big, and there may be fewer sponsors, but the athletes are at least as happy with this race as they are with the longer running events.

Last updated: 2007-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:44 | 1320 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/44
Overall: 39/255
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue-seventy full
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle. This course must have been long. I could not have placed as well as I did if that time/pace is correct.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:24
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:13 | 20 miles | 19.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/44
Overall: 77/255
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out and back on rolling course. A few short hills, mostly between miles 5 & 15. Train tracks cross just after mile 5/ just before mile 15. Out is a net gradual downhill, which means back is a net gradual uphill, with a nice little climb right before the finish.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:00 | 04 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/44
Overall: 112/255
Course: Out and back on rolling course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-27 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Subject: Steamboat Springs Triathlon

2007-08-27 9:26 PM
in reply to: #942914

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Steamboat Springs Triathlon
Great swim! Yes, it is fun catching people from the waves before! I love doing that.

WOAH! You are a speed demon on the bike lady!

Ok, your run was fast even with side stitch. I have a side stitch and go a 11 minute mile... you go a 9 minute mile! WOW!

Looks like you had a solid race! Congratulations!

2007-08-27 11:41 PM
in reply to: #942914

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: RE: Steamboat Springs Triathlon

Bike AND run PR's???  Wow!  Go you! 

Also impressive that you were able to catch ppl from every wave during the swim.  At least I only got caught by 2 waves! lol  (and glad to hear you thought the course was long...maybe I'm not as slow as I thought!!)

Anyway it was great seeing you there and it sounds like you had a really awesome race!  Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steamboat Springs Triathlon Rss Feed