United States
CAPRI Events
Overcast
Total Time = 56m 22s
Overall Rank = 434/700
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 100/117
Pre-race routine:

Sat in the car hoping for the rain to go away. Fumed over the swim being cancelled.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little, drank some gatorade. Fumed over the swim being cancelled.
Run
  • 11m
  • 1 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

I actually feel pretty good about this run, since it includes the run into transition and the start of the bike leg. I'd guess my pace was at/just under a 10 minute mile, which would be a new personal best in a race.
What would you do differently?:

Practice going from run to bike, instead of only doing bricks in the traditional triathlon format.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transitions were vastly simplified since there wasn't a swim. Just plunked my helmet on and left.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 28m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Boooooo. Since I was coming in town for my wife's baby shower, bringing my road bike along wasn't really an option. A friend very kindly lent me a bike, but it was a hybrid with shocks. In addition, it was too small for me (even with the seat adjusted) so I really couldn't get anything going. In all fairness, I think I was also affected by starting with a run instead of a swim. I had hoped to finish the bike at around 20 min., so I was not happy.

Couldn't do anything about the bike, so train more to go from run to bike for future situations where the swim is replaced.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, no separate time for transitions (it is included in with the 2nd run time). Due to the rain bikers coming in had to slog through some mud to get to the racks.

Nothing
Run
  • 16m 46s
  • 1.55 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Despite the puddles, I was again very happy with the run. Since the time above includes running through the muddy transition and racking the bike, I think I was still right at or just under 10 min./mile.

Nothing, just keep trying to improve run times. One thing, I was kind of zoned out and didn't notice I was about to finish, so I didn't push as hard at the end as I usually try to.
Post race
Warm down:

Bagel, gatorade, but sadly no beer was available.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Taking the swim away, using a borrowed bike.

Event comments:

Some things that I didn't like were out of anyone's control (e.g., the swim cancellation). However, I felt the transitions had very poor security. When I came into T1, some dude was just standing by my bike staring at it. Fortunately my wife was there keeping an eye on things, plus lots of non-participants just kind of wandering around in there. I wrote it off as being a race for beginners, but now I read that the situation was much the same for Sunday's events. A fun race, and obviously they had some weather hurdles to deal with, but still could have been organized better.

Last updated: 2007-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:11:00 | 01 miles | 11m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/117
Overall: 416/700
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back north along the lakefront from transition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:28:35 | 06.21 miles | 13.04 mile/hr
Overall: 497/700
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: 3 laps of an approx. 2 mile course along the lakefront. A few small overpasses were the only real elevation changes.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:16:46 | 01.55 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 374/700
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back south from transition along the lakefront. LOTS of puddles to avoid, not to mention runners coming back in doing the same thing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes