General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » LSAT goodies needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED
2004-10-19 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: LSAT goodies needed

Hello all,

I know there are a few law students on this board and thought I'd post this. I'm going to take the LSAT in February and was looking for some LSAT test prep course materials or books. Will be willing to pay and talk to anyone who has recently taken the test. If I get a 160 or above I'm a lock to get into the law school I want to attend so really need some pointers on how to ace this test. The more practice test I have the better. Anyone out there can help?

Thanks.

Ovetta.

2004-10-19 2:57 PM
in reply to: #73953

User image

New user
Subject: RE: LSAT goodies needed

hey Ovetta,

some of the kids in one of my classes just took the LSAT 2 weeks ago.  I'll ask them if they have anything they'd willingly give up and get back to you at the end of the week.

2004-10-19 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Thanks dear. So appreciate it. What classes?
2004-10-19 10:18 PM
in reply to: #74114

User image

New user
Thanks dear. So appreciate it. What classes?

all poli sci, pre law stuff. But that's my second, ed is my first major. No law school on the horizon for a loooooong time.

2004-10-19 10:59 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
My husband is a second year. According to him...

get the following:

Prep books from Princeton or Kaplan, the people who make the LSAT (LSAC), and also from LSAC get previous LSAT exams.

Practice, Practice, Practice. It's not really what you know but it's all about your ability to think in a certain way. Do as many questions as you possibly can. Even do several exercises under timed conditions (simulating the actual test).

When my husband took it, he got a hold of several of the previous exams and noticed that the most common answer for the last ten questions on the exam was "D". Research the previous exams and calculate that for yourself in case things have changed. When he got his exam back, he was right on three of the four sections. The fourth section was "C".

Good luck. Anymore questions then send me a pm,
Bethany
2004-10-20 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Bethany,

Thanks. I ordered past tests from the LSAC from Amazon. They're only like $5! Also got the hardest logic game test - supposed June 2000, 31. Yes, I realize that the LSAT has nothing to do with my intelliegence, just my ability to be a trained monkey to figure out their patterns and little tricks. That's why from now until February I'm burying myself in logic puzzles and LSAT tests! The difference between me scoring an average 150 and an above average 162 is about $100,000 in debt. I can bust my butt for three months to save $100,000. Thanks for your advice.

Ovetta.

2004-10-20 1:33 PM
in reply to: #74376

Regular
Minneapolis
I'm still paying off most of my law school—and decided not to practice!—so good luck saving that $100K and with your test! We already know you're fantastically disciplined!
2004-10-23 1:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona

Ovetta:

If you are looking at practicing for the LSAT as a money saving venture, I would suggest you take a prep course.  Particularly, IMHO Princeton Review is the best.  I know cost can be an issue with prep courses (~ $2000), but that is why I took the online one through Princeton Review.  It was only $600 when I took it a few years back.  The courses teach you techniques for the logic and reading comprehension sections that help you work at the fastest pace possible and avoid the traps the test is designed to catch you in, and for the analyticaly section (games) they teach you what they consider the main diagraming techniques to answer any question with necessary adaptations.  The course also has assignments and practice test built in, which was great for me, and I would have probably procrastinated and not done enough leading up to the test.

The course helped me a lot.  My score from the beginning practice exam to the score I got on the actual test increased almost 10 points and I got to the 85th percentile, and I am currently on a semester off during my second year of law school. And, it is the time of my life.

I also have a lot of old exams and prep guides buried somewhere, if you are interested in them I can dig them out and send you copies of what I have. :-)  If I can help in any other way, or any other questions send me a PM or an email.

Enjoy, and Good Luck on THE TEST!!!!!!

Tim

Edited by SwmBkRn 2004-10-23 1:14 AM
2004-12-29 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
If there is a university near you with a law school, their library should have some copies of old LSAT tests that you can check out and copy. Contact the school to find out. All it will cost you is the copying fee.

Good luck.
2004-12-29 11:37 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I am currently a 1L who started in Aug 04 and just took the Feb 04 LSAT exam.

Here are my tips:

1)By far the two best exam prep courses are powerscore and testmasters. If you are going to take one, take one of these. I do not recommend Kaplan, Princeton Review, or any other prep course.

2)DO NOT take any exams that are not real LSAC exams. They will just throw you off. Buy the books like "The next 10 actual official actual LSAT prepbooks".

3)DO NOT take exams that are too old. I would only focus on exams that are later than 1998. You can look at older ones but don't rely on the scores you get on those tests, since they are alot easier. The major difference is mainly in the logic games, but all sections evolved to some degree after 1998. That's my opinion.

4)Make sure you take real length exams in real test conditions. All the exam books will not have an experimental. Throw in one random section so you know the full length of the exam. Understand that the exam is a test of endurance. If you lose concentration because you are not used to the long exam, you will get killed in the later sections, even if they are your stronger sections.

5)Go to this law school discussion site. There are several others, but this by far is the best. There are sections on application essays, recommendations, etc. etc. etc. http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/

6)Go to this site to get LSAT averages to the school you want to see if you have a chance. Make sure you choose SAFETY schools just in case. There are 2004 numbers for the Aug 04 cycle, and you will see numbers coming in for the Aug 05 cycle. http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

That's all I can think of.

Good luck.

Edited by auto208562 2004-12-29 11:39 PM
Sell Gear
CLOSED
General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » LSAT goodies needed Rss Feed