General Discussion Race Reports! » Charities Challenge - Challenge Arthritis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Charities Challenge - Challenge Arthritis - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Paul, Minnesota
United States
Charities Challenge
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 5;15 am grabbed a couple of bran muffins and headed out the door. There was three attempts to buy coffee at a coffee shop only to find that they weren't open yest :(
Event warmup:

Since I am a member of Charities Challenge I volunteer for all of thier events. I main end up setting up the course, the start and finish line. Once that was done I picked up my number and did about a 1/8 of a mile racewalk with a stretching session mixed in there.
Run
  • 38m 23s
  • 3.21 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I was the honorary starter (due to my arthritic knees) so I started the racers (runners and racewalkers) and fell into the pack. It took a while to work my way into some clear space where zi could settle into my pace.

I hung with Coach Jeanne racewalking for about 3/4 of a mile but I couldn't keep it up and she pulled away. Behind me was another racewalking friend Linda. I opened up a pretty good gap on her by the time we hit the half way point.

At that point another firend who was the lead biker (Terry) joined Linda (the lead runner had already finished). They closed the gap a bit and by the time we hit the water stop they were close to catching me.

Terry made a comment about getting ready to pass and I let him know if they wanted to they were going to have to work for it (all in fun) By the time I hit the 3 mile marker I had the gap opened back up and was pulling away.

Terry came up to me afterwards, gave me a hug, and told me he was proud of the way I "put the hammer down"

It was a fairly humid day and the sweat was really pouring despite the cool weather.
What would you do differently?:

1.Train more which is an on going issue with my racewalking.
2.Eat better before the race. I did have a gel with but didn't eat it before the race started - DOH!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some Naked Juice from thier display, walked around a bit, stretched and talked with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My technique. It needs work, work, work. One thing Coach Bruce tells me every lap is to RELAX my shoulders and to walk light. Linda and Terry did notice from behind that I had some "flapping" going on with my right arm (elbow going out instead of only moving front to back - wasted motion) Terry also noted that my left foot was "collapsing"but I think that is due to my screwed up toes.

Last updated: 2007-09-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:23 | 03.21 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
My Garmin measured this course long. The mile markers were long as well as the total distance mile 0-1 (1.04 miles) 12:18 minutes 11:52/mile ave pace mile 1-2 (1.04 miles) 12:23 minutes 11:56/mile ave pace mile 2-3 (1.02 miles) 12:19 minutes 12:06/mile ave pace mile 3-3.1 (.12 miles) 1.12 minutes 11:17/mile ave pace
Course: The walking path around Lake Como. Asphalt path. Very flat and in good shape.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-01 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: Charities Challenge - Challenge Arthritis

2007-09-01 4:57 PM
in reply to: #949732

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Charities Challenge - Challenge Arthritis
Nice job out there!  I love that you got to be the honorary starter .
2007-09-01 8:31 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
Nice job out there today.  I hate running when it is hot and humid.
2007-09-01 9:17 PM

Gerb - it sounds like you are certainly as appreciated there as you are here. Nice job - good honors - and just a great spirit - always fun to read what you've got to share! Tink OOO
2007-09-02 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Sub 12 for a racewalk just blows my mind.  Great job Steve!   Sounds like a really fun day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charities Challenge - Challenge Arthritis Rss Feed