Singapore
HiTri Events
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 59m 47s
Overall Rank = 790/919
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 226/255
Pre-race routine:

Started the morning at 4:30am with a shower, gobbled a cup of Milo, a cup of yogurt and a banana for breakfast. I had to go to the toilet 3 times because my stomach is acting up due to pre race jitters. The night before, we ordered a cab at 5:30am to take us to the Transition 1 (T1) @ ECP. When we reached the T1, there were already a lot of people doing their last minute preparation. We have to queue to get our numbers stamped on our arms. They used the stamp pads to stamp the numbers on the arms instead of writing the numbers freehand using a marker.

While waiting for the race to start we pump our bicycle tyres, arranged our stuff around the bike for easy access when we run to the bike after the swim and did some stretching. I had to go to the toilet again at the transition. Thank god the queue was not long. The first wave was elite and the physically challenged. We always see the physically challenged doing the Triathlon on TV but it interesting to see it live for a change. Teo Ser Luck flagged off the first waves. He joined the race in the later waves.

After Steven's wave was flagged off, someone from his wave was seen struggling in the water. Everyone shouted for the rescue boat to pick him up. It took them a while to notice but the participant was removed from the water soon after. Everyone clapped for the rescue effort. Before the race start, there was so much drama already.
Event warmup:

At 6:45am, we started to walk towards the beach for the race briefing. I dipped into the water for a quick warm up but the water was cold. I didn't stay long in the water but decided to tuck in my Tri Top into my Tri pant to prevent the water from going in and make swimming easier later.
Swim
  • 50m 55s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

My waves starts at 7:35am, 5 minutes away from Steven's wave. There was no marking throughout the swim leg except for buoys which were lined up as markers. So if you can't see the buoy, you are likely to go off track. It was tough with people punching you from right and left. At times I feel people hitting my legs even. I definitely didn't enjoy this kind of groping under water. All I wanted is for the swim leg to finish as soon as it started. It was a long swim. All I care about is getting from one buoy to the next one. The water was quite wavy and full of debris. As I swim, I could see that some participants from the waves after mine past me as I struggle to complete. When I reached the shore, I was so relieved that it is over. A check on my watch shows that I finished the swim in 50mins.
What would you do differently?:

Train more in swimming.
Transition 1
  • 06m 11s
Comments:

As I run to the transition (which is @ F2 carpark), I felt some strain on my left ankle. It was a long run from the beach to the transition area. At the transition I put on my gears quickly and left the transition in about 6:11mins.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 56s
  • 90.1 kms
  • 27.59 km/hr
Comments:

A check on my HRM shows that my HR was not showing any value. I tried to ignore it and started the cycle slow but realized that I need to go faster in case I couldn't climb the Sheares Bridge later. I try to
maintain more than 25kph throughout the bike leg. At least at faster speed on the flat, it will compensate for the slowness along the slope on the bridge. As I get out of the service road, cycling down towards Fort Road, I realized that we are heading to the other side of the bridge which is against the traffic flow. I was mentally unprepared for this. All along I thought we are doing down the bridge through the normal flow. I started to worry as I got up the bridge. There were thoughts of getting off the bike to push the bike down. As the road is going down the slope from the top of the bridge, I tried to apply my brake and it seems to work! The bike did slow down. It felt great suddenly and I decided to apply the brake throughout the slope as descent. I felt that I was able to control the bike very well during the down slope. This is just a totally different experience from Langkawi. It turns out that my fears and worries are unfounded. That descent just boosted my confidence level and from then on my mood was lifted.

From that point onwards, I continued the next 4 laps of 20km each. It started from the floating platform down Esplanade bridge, Shenton Way, into Marina Bay and then out to Shenton way then hit into ECP and up the Sheares Bridge again (but from the other side, moving towards Changi Airport), down the slope, turned into Beach Road, Middle Road, Nicoll Highway, U turn before Mountbatten Road and back to the floating platform. 1st lap I was feeling very good. On my 2nd lap, I start to see people along the road either crashes or had their tyre punctured. One of the participants was asking for CO2 as his tyre was puncture but I didn't carry any so I can't offer any help. Then, as I cycle down the ECP, I saw Steven along the road. He was standing at the side of the road with his bicycle. I stopped to ask him what happened and he said his tyre punctured. I passed him my air pump but it does not work. He needs a CO2 (which we never thought of purchasing even). It was his first puncture. I can tell he was disappointed that it happened on race day. He told me to continue the race. So I continue the ride up toward the bridge again. Throughout the next lap, I was hoping that some kind soul would offer him the CO2. On my 3rd lap, I didn't see him along the road already. I presumed that he has left the spot to the transition area. For the rest of the race, I was feeling good still. The last time I cleared the slope downward, I let out a happy scream. I know that I am almost there already. My bike timing is about 3hr 15mins. I am quite happy with that. It took me about 2:09mins at transition.

Quite happy with my cycling but would try to improve the speed further in future.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

As I reached the transition after the last lap, someone pick my bike. I rushed into the transition to look for my run bag and start to change into my running outfit. I tried to change as fast as I could and dash out of T2 to start my run.
Run
  • 2h 44m 35s
  • 20.1 kms
  • 08m 11s  min/km
Comments:

The first lap of the run leg was very slow. I was taking very small steps as I was not able to adjust very fast to running after the 90km cycle. My muscles are not tuned yet. I could feel the fatigue all over. After I started running for about 500m, I heard someone called me and I saw that it is Steven. I realized that he decided to take up the skip rule which participants can use if they fail to complete one of the legs during the race. I wished I was given the chance to do that in Langkawi when I was doing the Ironman race in February. At 2km, I remember that I still have another packet of the Powergel. I decided to consume it immediately. Along the way I saw another stop where they were giving out powergel and I consumed another one. After that I stop taking anything except water and electrolytes. As I was finishing my first lap, it started to drizzle then there was a heavy downpour as I run into the floating platform. It felt damn good to be running in the rain. I was able to run faster even. But the rain didn't last that long. It stop after a while and the sun was up again.

On the 2nd lap I tried to look out for aid station with powergel but every station runs out of stock. I feel that my energy level started to diminish and I started to slow down again. I look forward to reaching the next aid station in the hope for some Powergel but every station disappoints me. I was feeling frustrated already. Luckly as I reached the aids station after the Merdeka bridge, they have loads of Powergel. That was already 18km on the run course. Despite it being so late, I felt relieve. I took one immediately. I took another just in case I need one for the last dash to finishing line. I look at the watch, I am not sure if I can reach the finishing line before 7hours. It seems possible but I was not sure. I continued running to the floating platform and it started to drizzle again.

On my way to the Esplanade, I saw Steven, Collin and Stephen. They have finished the race. I continue to run and I started to open up my stride for the last 1.5km. On my way back to the finishing line, I was confident that I could hit below 7hours. I just max out and endure the pain if there was any. As I approached the finishing line, I saw a guy posing for the finishing photo. The finisher banner was down after that but I insist the volunteers to bring it up for me to pose for my finishing shot. Luckily, I am still within sub 7hours by a couple of seconds. Hurray!!!!

Do more brick workout to improve transition between bike and run.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to the refreshment tent where I took a bite of some oranges on the table. It felt damn good to have completed the race. Then I saw Jimmy who have finished his race earlier. I returned my champion chip (got my $50 deposit) and went out with Jimmy to look for Steven. Steven was complaining that retrieving the bags counter was messy. He has managed to get 2 of our bags with one more still missing. Once we got our bags and bike, I went to change to a clean outfit. Along the way, I saw a couple of friends including Murphy and Jerry (who was in Langkawi and stayed in the same hotel as us) and Chris whom I always see at Triathlon races and gotten to know at OSIM in July. Once the rain stopped, we headed to the car which was parked at Armenian Street to go home. We pushed our bike till Padang and I walked to Armenian Street to pick up the car and drive over. On our way home we stopped at Chinatown to have our late lunch. When we reached home, there was a lot of cleaning up to do. We freshen up quickly and left the house again at around 6:30pm for the Award Dinner which was held at Ritz Calton.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insufficient training.

Event comments:

It was well organised with a few hiccups.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:55 | 1900 meters | 02m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 213/255
Overall: 710/919
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: It is a rectangle shape swim from right to left in anticlockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:15:56 | 90.1 kms | 27.59 km/hr
Age Group: 228/255
Overall: 813/919
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:44:35 | 20.1 kms | 08m 11s  min/km
Age Group: 215/255
Overall: 740/919
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-04 2:56 AM

User image

Regular
Singapore
Subject: Aviva Ironman 70.3, Singapore

2007-09-04 6:19 AM
in reply to: #951139

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Subject: RE: Aviva Ironman 70.3, Singapore
Well done on your race. Top performance.

Whilst you were doing that, I was doing the 70.3 in Monaco and wishing that I had done the Sing race instead! Too many hills.

Enjoy the rest of your year.
2007-09-04 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Nicely done. I used to live in Singapore, so it was kind of cool to read your report hear about Shears bridge, ECP, etc.

Cheers.
2007-09-04 11:24 AM
in reply to: #951163

User image

Regular
Singapore
Mark Stanley - 2007-09-04 8:19 PM

Well done on your race. Top performance.

Whilst you were doing that, I was doing the 70.3 in Monaco and wishing that I had done the Sing race instead! Too many hills.

Enjoy the rest of your year.

Thanks. U can always do it next year. It would be better I heard.
2007-09-04 11:26 AM
in reply to: #951166

User image

Regular
Singapore
swiss tri - 2007-09-04 8:30 PM

Nicely done. I used to live in Singapore, so it was kind of cool to read your report hear about Shears bridge, ECP, etc.

Cheers.

Thanks. You must come back here to race in the 70.3 next year. We never imagine cycling up Sheares Bridge but we did.
2007-09-04 5:47 PM

User image

Great job on your race and your accomplishment!  I was there as well and thought it was quite a well organized race for the first time!  I agree with you that the swim was AWFUL!  Have you heard anything about the bike course being a bit short?  My bike computer showed less than 56 miles.  Anyways, congratulations and great RR!

Edited by lifeisgood 2007-09-04 5:48 PM

2007-09-04 8:25 PM
in reply to: #951987

User image

Regular
Singapore
lifeisgood - 2007-09-05 7:47 AM

Great job on your race and your accomplishment!  I was there as well and thought it was quite a well organized race for the first time!  I agree with you that the swim was AWFUL!  Have you heard anything about the bike course being a bit short?  My bike computer showed less than 56 miles.  Anyways, congratulations and great RR!

Thanks. Congrats to u too. A couple of friends said that their cyclometer indicates a shorter bike course too. Mine stopped halfway unfortunately.
2007-09-04 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Very well done race and race report. Thanks for sharing!
2007-09-05 3:58 AM
in reply to: #952145

User image

Regular
Singapore
Manatee Express - 2007-09-05 11:23 AM

Very well done race and race report. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks & Welcome.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aviva Ironman 70.3, Singapore Rss Feed