http://www.3disciplines.com/
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 30s
Overall Rank = 33/116
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/18
Pre-race routine:

Did the usual banana, cottage cheese and berries before leaving home around 6. Arrived in good time to get registered and transition set up. Ate a hard boiled egg shortly after arriving, and a cliff bar 30 minutes prior to the start of the race.
Event warmup:

Legs had been tight, so I did some easy running to get loosened up. Did some more running after the womens start at 8. Got dressed and hit the water at 8:45 for swimming, which seems to be real helpful after doing this the last two tri's after never swimming before a race.
Swim
  • 16m 25s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim in Walled Lake. Clockwise rectangular course, out 350 M, across 100 M, and back 350 M. Good breeze coming out of the north created a minor chop, but nothing bad enough to interfere with breathing on either side. I started on the left side of the wade start which provided me with a direct shot at the first buoy and provided some elbow room compared to the right side. Things went well and I was on a pair of feet drafting within moments of the start, he seemed to be swimming rather straight and I followed him to the first turn, then waited til rounding the second turn to hammer it home, with no one to draft I felt all alone again but I was swimming straight and just out from the buoys. I'm guessing I'm fast enough to be ahead of the mop and bop'ers but not fast enough to hang with the fop'ers. The water was pretty clean with only a small weed bed to swim over on the way out and the way back in. Otherwise spotting other swimmers was rather easy.
What would you do differently?:

Never thought it was going to be wet suit legal so I forgot to pack the Body Glide and had just tossed the wet suit in the truck at the last minute. Remember to put Body Glide in my new Tri pack.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
What would you do differently?:

The run wasn't to bad from the water, but the transition was setup in a gravel lot, coating the feet pretty good. Didn't waste time with water, just a quick swipe across my feet, socks on, etc and down the carpet and out on the bike.
Bike
  • 48m 18s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed the ride overall which was 3 loops, but it seemed a little long and I had 16.37 and a few other folks apparently had 16.4 miles on there computers. So maybe mines not off. The ride had one dedicated lane to ride which made it nice. There were plenty of folks at the intersections directing traffic etc, making it a safe course. The only issue was the set of railroad tracks on 12 mile. I didn't even think about it til I noticed a race official at the tracks when I passed the second time and I was thinking how much that would suck to get stuck by a train. After passing it on the third loop I was happy to have that behind me. I didn't hear of anyone getting stuck by a train. Rode hard throughout and drank one bottle of water. I had placed a GU in my tri top which fell out when taking my wet suit off. Didn't really need it, but was just trying things out for next weeks Oly.

I witnessed one major drafting violation, a guy was right on the back wheel of a fast dude, and I mean right on his wheel. The lead guy actually tried to shake him by switching sides of the lane. And of course this happened where the worse headwinds occurred, creating quite an advantage. He must of said something as the violator ended up falling off. Then again it was nice to pass the cheater at the end of the bike and not see him again as he came in several places behind me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Everything went well overall, I could've cut more time out of these transitions if I didn't have to run through a rocky parking lot and wipe off my big feet.
Run
  • 31m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Got on the run and felt pretty good, took it easy the first mile to loosen the legs but was cruising good. Passed the first mile marker at nearly 10 minutes, I'm thinking no way I'm moving that slow. I was having a good run. Second mile I turned it on a little more, once I hit 22 minutes I was hammering once again to pick off a few folks, and assumed I would be closing in the finish within 5-7 minutes, well once I hit 30 and I'm still in the woods, I'm really wondering what the heck happened. This was my best tri run by far. I didn't stop for anything on this and was on cruise control throughout, and I enjoy running trails as it's my main source for long runs to prevent to much damage to my aging body. And my normal trail runs are hillier then this route. Oh well everyone runs the same course. The last section of the run was through a parking lot and I had no one to pick off in front of me and no one coming up behind me. Crossed the finish line and was happy with the result.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, grabbed a pita sandwich and some gatorade, put the bike and gear away. Wanted to get back in time to see a co worker cross but was to late, spoke with him for a few minutes then headed home as there were other things to get done with the family.

Event comments:

The course seemed a little longer then advertised. But otherwise a decent event that could be better if the transition wasn't on a gravel lot, but theres not many other options close enough to the beach. The bike was pretty nice with one traffic free lane to make passing easy and avoid drafting.

Last updated: 2007-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:25 | 875 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 33/116
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Quick John
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:18 | 15 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 40/116
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Followed S Shore, to Old Novi Rd, Novi Rd, 12 mile, to West park, back to S Shore. 3 loops with some nice rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:03 | 03.11 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 55/116
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run in the Novi park, just a few small hills, twisty at times, and was not measured correctly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-09 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: FIT Novi

2007-09-09 10:30 AM
in reply to: #956777

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: FIT Novi
More for my records then anything. Made an error in my report on overall finish.

Placed 28 out of 116, making it top 25 percentile.

Wish I could make top 25 percentile in my Oly's
2007-09-10 10:00 PM
in reply to: #956777

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: FIT Novi
Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » FIT Novi Rss Feed