General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Square Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Stillwater, Minnesota
United States
Vacation Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 1s
Overall Rank = 330/423
Age Group = Clysdale
Age Group Rank = 19/28
Pre-race routine:

As always, getting up early and a quick shower to wake up. Banana and an orange juice... followed by a "Red Bull" when I end up parking. Got to the race and rear tire had gone completely flat. I didn't want to risk it being flat after the swim, so decided to just change it there. Long story, but after blowing out two more tubes, ended up finally getting the last one I had to seat without incident.
Event warmup:

Still focusing on stretching before the event. Before I get the wetsuit on, start up with neck and shoulders and then move down all the way to calves. Then suit up and head to the water. maybe 200 yds or so, very slow and steady.
Swim
  • 17m 16s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Dead calm and water warmer than air made for a beautiful start. Clysdales were up with the elites, so this round I really sat back in the group and allowed others to move up and then after 30 seconds or so, started to kick it in. Wasn't until 200 yds or so came that things settled in.
What would you do differently?:

Could have pushed a bit harder at the beginning of the swim. ended up passing enough people that I could have grabbed a better draft had I started stronger.
Transition 1
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

This one was interesting. I had got to the site early and got an end spot on the racks and didn't leave the transition until 5 minutes before they closed it. When I got to the area, someone had pushed my bike in and not only put their bike OVER my stuff, but actually knocked my helmet down and didn't even bother to pick it. This got to me, so I slowed down and regained my composure

not sure what I could have done, but wait till they close the transition. With the situation that presented itself, where I had to dig around for my helmet and glasses... not sure if there was much more I could have done.
Bike
  • 53m 38s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Beautiful and well layed out course. This was my highest avg. speed for this season, so felt good about it and didn't push too hard!

Well, I did what we always say we wouldn't do... change something on the day of the race. I put on a new water bottle cage... didnt' think twice about it, but it was just different and when trying to replace the bottle.
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

About half way through the bike, I really needed to go to the bathroom. So, looking at the run, decided it was necessary before heading out!

Make sure I go to the bathroom before the race.
Run
  • 54m 6s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I still hate the run. I am training and training and can't get the pain out of my knees. This time, it didn't come till after mile three, but when it did, it brought me down hard!!! I tried everything, I need to get this all figured out!

i need to find out what I am doing wrong! Something is there that I need to change to get through this.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and stretching. About 15 minutes before I headed back to the transition area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training in the Run. I am doing well (for me) in the bike and swim, but need to push harder in my run training.

Event comments:

Overall, beautiful course and well run. In its 8th year and here to stay. Will stay on my race schedule.

Last updated: 2007-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:16 | 880 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/28
Overall: 199/423
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Farmer John
Course: Basic out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:38 | 18 miles | 20.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/28
Overall: 167/423
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Loop course through light hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:56
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:54:06 | 05 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/28
Overall: 391/423
Performance: Bad
Course: Loop around square lake. Combination of pavement road and dirt road. Slight hill to finish made for an interesting last minute push.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: Square Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed